CUNY Hunter College

« See more reviews of CUNY Hunter College

The best thing about Hunter is its diversity, culturally as well as in all other demographics, there is a big age range (because seniors in the area are allowed to audit Hunter classes for free and its quite amusing). In an ideal world I would like to cut down on the red tape too, but more so in the sense to make things streamline and to have more people who are 100% competent and happy to help. Public institutions have different means of hiring people and the income tends to be lower so there are not as many perfect and peachy 20-something aged assistants running around hunter wanting to bend over backwards to help you. Hunter has a main campus that has three buildings, the brand new Roosevelt house a few blocks away, Brookdale downtown and the School of Social Work in Harlem. Technically, there is enough space for everyone but during noon in the main campus it can be jammed, especially on the elevators but thats also because we have a lot of lazy students who use it for one flight. We just funded a green initiative here to promote walking the stairs among other things. There is not a lot of school pride but there are plenty of extra curriculars and clubs for people who want to feel connected. Around 100 registered clubs this semester (the need to re-register every year) and these clubs receive paid funding through the school. There is a lot of political activism as well, especially with Occupy Wall Street.

Hunter College's main campus in very convenient with bridges that link the four buildings uptown, and a subway stop entrance within the west building. I would change how the way the nursing school application is announced only through word of mouth rather than mail or e-mail when a student had enrolled into a nursing block from the very first semester as a freshman at Hunter. The school size is just right. Most of the people outside of NYC ask, "Hunter? Where's that?" I spend most of my time in the library. What college town? Hunter's admission is very slow. They were the last nursing school to get back to me about my acceptance when I applied to all of my choices within the same week. The biggest recent controversy is the nursing program control by the Brookdale Campus Vs the uptown E 68 st. campus. The uptown student government pushed for 20 more students to be accepted into nursing to assist the funding while Brookdale nursing professors argued that there is not enough space for that. There's some school pride, but I do not see a lot. No, there's nothing unusual about Hunter that I could name right now. I will always remember the one house clinical I was actually late to during my first semester of nursing school, and how I was panting at arrival after having had to run back home for forgotten supplies. The computers are down and not working after slow freezing screens.

My favorite quality about Hunter is its diversity. Not only does the CUNY college have diverse cultures, it is also indicative of the true nature of New York City with its economically and politically diverse students. One thing I would change would be people’s perceptions of non-Ivy League colleges and making people realize what an amazing school Hunter is. When I tell people I attend Hunter, they usually tell me that they heard great things about the school and congratulate me on choosing the college. I spend most of my time in the Undergraduate student government (USG) ofiice, since I am one of the executive board members of the USG. Hunter is in New York City: the entire city is our own town. Hunter's administration tries very hard to work with its students and there are many exceptional people who truly care about the welfare of the students. I believe there is a lot of school pride, because I often meet students whose mothers and grandmothers attended Hunter. The fact that Hunter was chosen as the site for the 30th anniversary conference for the one and only national feminist conference on November 10 and 11, 2007, was unforgettable. One of the chief organizers, Liz Abzug, could have easily chosen Columbia, where she teachers, but chose Hunter for various reasons, including the fact that her mother, the late Congresswoman Bella Abzug is a Hunter alumna.

The best and worst thing about it is the size, its huge and overwhelming but at the same time provides a huge amount of resources and room to explore because of that. Reactions to "hunter" differ. Some people consider it a dumb school, some are impressed, most people outside of NYC have no idea what you're talking about. "Hunter Honors" usually brings about a positive reaction when people have heard about the program. If they haven't, you have to start explaining how super-special you are, which gets reaaallly awkward. Most honors students will just say they're from hunter and leave it at that. Hunter is not really a campus school, which is one of it's biggest issue (hence, very little extracirricular involvement and no school pride or support). administration, controversy and student complaints can all be addressed with one word- beauracracy. Lots of admin layers, red tape to cut through and people behind large desks who have no idea what's going on. Hunter's location and super-diverse population make it unusual. There was an old couple in my freshman human sexuality class and my night classes are full of really inspirational people who hold down jobs and take on my courseload.

The best thing about Hunter is its location. It is very nicely situated a meer 15 minute train ride from the hustle and bustle of New York City. It's a very nice, safe area, and is very accessable. I would change that student activities area. Currently, there is only 1 floor committed to student clubs, and I'd like to see more. I love the size of the school, and would even like to see more students coming through the doors. People react very favorably when I tell them I go to Hunter, almost all saying how far Hunter has come recently. I spend most of my time in Hillel, making friends with the people there. NYC is definitely a college town, 100%. There's always something to do, and always someone willing to do it with you. The administration at Hunter serves its purpose, but I don't think it goes above and beyond the call of duty. I would comment that President Raab has done a great job transforming the school. There is absolutely no school pride, partially due to the lack of any semblance of sports.

Hunter is overcrowded. It is difficult to make friends. People are generally dismissive. When I tell people I go here, the reaction is generally positive -- I think because it has been ranked highly by US News Report as a "value college". The instructors are generally pretty good -- unless you get an adjunct, in which case they are difficult to get a hold of. The campus environment is extremely depressing. There is virtually no where to socialize (if you happen to have a friend). The library is generally more of a social environment and the lunch crowd tends to spill into it. It's also very old and warn-down/dirty. The cafeteria food is over-priced and generally heavy in fats and carbs. If you're on a diet, you'll have to lug your own food over with you. It's difficult to get any guidance by the staff here. There is generally not a lot of enthusiasm about the job. Overall -- worst decision of my life.

Hunter almost feel just just another HS, it's small for me ideal college but its located in the city so hey, what'd you expect. I also like how the school is smack in the middle of EVERYTHING. There's a bookstore across the street, the shopping district isn't too far away, the park is right there near the school. Hunter college is in new york city- the center of the world. I'd like to see more interaction between the administration and the students, maybe the dean/president would like to visit randomly selected classes just to participate with the students. I don't even know the face of the person who runs this school. I spend most of my time in the library, it's nice and quiet, although i would occasionally fall asleep from the cold AC.

The experiences I'll always remember at Hunter is sitting on the stairwell in the drama department, cramming for microbiology exams. Or relaxing with friends on the veranda in the West building on the eighth floor. Some professors hold classes out there during the summer, and it makes class fun that way. Students do complain about the bird-poop there. But they put covers now, so you can even sit out there during rain.

I spend most of my time in the library on the campus or in the language lab. I was told that the old language lab was extremely disorganized and difficult to get into: there were long lines and not enough service. They have renovated it, and now it's the most comfortable and relaxing place in the college. Another quiet place is the upper floor of the library. It's very secluded, so you get a lot of privacy to study.

The best thing about Hunter is the diversity. Age, ethnicity, origins, religion-- we have everything under the sun. One thing I would change is the tedious bureaucracy (don't know how to spell that) I get different reactions from different people depending on their backgrounds when I tell them I go to Hunter. For some, it is prestigious. For most, it's just a CUNY and I must not be anything special.