New York, NY
CUNY John Jay College of Criminal Justice

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend CUNY John Jay College of Criminal Justice

The best advice I could give my high school self is something I've really always known: get off your lazy butt, get to work, and pursue what you really want. I slacked off big-time senior year because I knew I could get away with it. Now I wish I could go back and get the highest average I was capable of. My transition into college has really made me realize how important it is to have a strong work ethic and make something of yourself. I now realize that if I want to go places in life, it's not going to just fall into my lap. I wish I could go back to last year and tell myself to get a jumpstart.

The best thing about my school is the way the professors treat students. All of the professors I've interacted with have been very friendly and helpful. It is easy to tell that they want you to succeed, not only in their class, but in life. As cliche as it all sounds, they really try to get their students to think in new ways and apply what they learn to life outside of class.

My school is very diverse. I've met so many new types of people. People who shouldn't go to John Jay are people who are close-minded and have no desire to meet new people who are completely different from them.

Carlene

Its has amazing opportunity and benefits to meet people working in the field your study to apply to

Financially having to struggle to find for transportation, books, and having my own place whether its an apartment or a room to come home to study and relax away from the daily life

I think one of the most important things that I missed out on when I went to college because of my expectations was the idea that I actually had a lot of freedom. Freedom to do what I wanted without Mom and Dad, yeah, but more importantly, the freedom to do things I had been afraid of before, like finding my own church, starting a youth bible study group, making friends with people who weren't my "type". High school can restrict a person so much, and it fit me into a little 'this is what people want me to be' box that I had a hard time breaking out of when I went to college. I didn't fully embrace my independence because of the fear of trying something new. If it were possible, I wish I could go back in time and say "Little Me, you are what you make of yourself, not what others make of you. Grab onto what you want and don't let go, not for ANYONE. Live your passion and walk by integrity. Oh, and no matter what you do, STAY AWAY from frat parties."

Rimsha

Keep your eyes open: there is more to life than you imagine. Life will not revolve around the social group you sit with at lunch, nor will it concern with your status. Your grades and academic success will speak for you, both in your college and social life. Strive for excellence, and success will open its doors for you. Don't chase after success; have success chase you. Concentrate on your work, remain career-orientated, and you will become what you can be.

This school is located in the center of Manhattan's rush hour. Though it delivers almost everything, travel is costly and often times long for the majority of students! The train station is nearby, therefore helpful, however the walk from the station to the college is about ten minutes. I wish I knew I'd need to leave my house two hours before class time!

The curriculum is career-focused. Students in the law field find variety of majors to choose from, all that lead up to a great career choice. The college holds a popular name for its Law field, and it strives excellence.

Courtnei

I simply cannot begin to help you comprehend how insane, friendly, determined, driven, fun and amazing they are.

As I sit here in my dorm room in Zamelek, a small island inside of Cairo, Egypt, I can only say that this is the most important and valuable experience I have gotten out of my college experience. Yes, they have provided a relatively inexpensive, in comparison to other schools, way of receiving my education, as well as a plethora of unforgettable experiences. But the opportunity to study abroad in Egypt during this winter semester of January 2011 has to be the most amazing experience John Jay could have bestowed upon me. I've only been here a week, but I have not only gotten lost in several different directions on one small island, but I have also climbed down into the tombs of the Great Pyramids of Giza. I look forward to cementing this trip with trips to Alexandria, Luxor and even a bazaar. Truly, this is the most valuable thing John Jay has given me, and I honeslty thank them and the professors who assisted me in applying for this program.

One thing that I wish I had known was how important the actual MTA system is to getting to school on time. There has honestly been times when I have missed a class because of a train being delayed or an accident that happened. I've learned to time the trains and estimate them, but that is something that I should have known before going.

Janet

My college experience has equipped me with many valuable tools that has allowed me to be successful in my career. College is the one form of education that allows you to challenge (your thinking) what you are being taught while you are being taught. It allows you to broaden your view as you are now driven to conduct research to determine to find out the best answer to the solution. This research and level of thinking is what jobs today label as "critical think skills" which is very valuable for everyone in their career. This skill set that I learned has allowed me to analyze problems and determine the best possible solution. Attending college has not only made me intelligent, but it has also allowed me the opportunity to interact with a variety of individuals. Communicating and interacting with people of different ethnicities and background is crucial in today's society. The student body at John Jay College is very diverse, and this diversity has allowed me the ability to look past the differences and see the individual for who they are. This ability to work with individuals of diverse backgrounds has become my strong point in my career.

The best thing about John Jay College is the structure of the classes. This university caters to Police and Firefighters whos schedules fluctuates week to week. The majority of the classes at John Jay were structured so that you can take the same class with the same professor in the morning or evening. This suited my work schedules as there were many days that I had to work a late shift and in essence was able to take the morning class. The professors that instructed these classes were also very accomodating and helpful.

The most frusting thing about John Jay College is the bookstore during the first two weeks of a semester. The bookstore is very small for a college of its size and thus you can spend up to an hour waiting to purchase books during the beginning of the semester. There have been many times in which they have run out of textbooks. This leads to frustration as students have to resort to going to the school library to make copies of the textbook until the order from the bookstore arrives.

carolin

My school is best known for police studies and forensic science majors. There are so many students in the law enforcement that graduated John Jay College.

College provided me with different insights in life and academically. I learned how to think outside of the box. The education in High School was easily given to the students. However, college students have to exert more effort into their education in order to achieve their degree. There were times when college was challenging academeically which only led me to grow and choose different routes in order to achieve my degree. College provided me with a sense of independence and choice in my education. Moreover, college is vaulable to attend in order to grow as a person both professionally and personally.

The best thing about my school was the professors. The professors were very kind and willingly to help. The school was a comfortable environment to study. There were many tutors available for those that need help.

Rebekah

I would have begun applying for colleges and scholarships earlier so I could have spent more time writing scholarships. I would also check on the legal age to take out a loan in my state instead of finding out a few weeks before I was supposed to go to New York that neither I nor my mother qualified to take out a student loan. I think I also should have spent more time writing my application essay; even though I was accepted, I recently read my essay again an couldn't believe I'd written something that bad. I think that, when applying to college, the most important thing to do is to give yourself plenty of time to do everything and to make sure you know all that you can about the process.

It's students are very diverse. I love that I've met people who's origins range from Haiti, Montenegro, and the Dominican Republic.

Currently a freshman, I would tell myself that there are a lot of things to adjust to when attending college. One being the fact that you won't be surrounded by a group of friends like in high school, you are now on your own. Two "YOU NEED TO MAKE THE FERRY", living in Staten Island & attending college in Manhattan has its perks and disadvantages. Starbucks being on every corner is one thing but if you do not catch the ferry you will be a half hour late for class. Another word of advice would be that there is a lot of responsibility involved in attending college, you will experience deadlines and expectations to be prepared for class with your text books. I would tell myself that the major difference between attending college and high school is that your professors only know what you notify them of. They don't ask you "where's you paper?" like teachers did, they grade what they've received and don't worry about you. So you must notify them of any difficulties you're having or makeups you are interested in. Last but not least I would tell myself "Enjoy College!"

I consider the worst thing about my school is that because it is in the city not many students are interested in becoming involved in extra curricular activities. All of the friends I made during my first semester were either thinking about transferring to a university or state school because everyone's attitude is "get in & get out". As a young student I am expecting to experience the full potential of the school and not just its classes.

Deanna

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would have a lot of things to say. First, I would tell myself that the teachers make college seem so intimidating when in actuality, it's not. College is fun for the most part, and that's what high school teachers should talk about just as much as they talk about working hard. It's a lot of work at times, but it's very different from high school. You have way more independence. The proffesors sometimes don't even know your name. You can be just a number to them. But, you're in college for yourself, for your education, not anybody else's. If you work hard in high school, it will definetly pay off in college, especially if you were lucky enough to gain AP Credits.

I would consider the social life the worst thing about my school. Since there are no dorms, it's difficult to make friends. The school tries to put together homecoming events and that sort of thing which helps, but considering the lack of dorm life, I have found ways to make friends.

The kind of person that should attend this school should be someone that is strong willed and determined. People might be fooled by how inexpensive this school is, but until you actually attend it, you have no idea what's in store for you. People are really involved and speak their mind because it's not like any other school. Many of these kids attend some kind of law school after they graduate here, or go into the NYPD or FBI.

CUNY John Jay College of Criminal Justice administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.