CUNY Lehman College

« See more reviews of CUNY Lehman College

The world is yours as you set off to achieve your ambitions. The excitement of independence and new academic journey begin to dim with unforeseen insecurities and challenges. It's okay to be worried by setbacks, don't let it consume you. You're human and vulnerable to mistakes and defeat, more importantly you have promise to be brilliant and spectacular. Don't sink. Continue with more dedication and fire. There is more to you than lost battles; they are insignificant before your dreams and what you deserve. Everyone knows hard work, time management, and commitment are important for success. It's equally necessary to surround yourself with a support system that reminds you to love and forgive yourself. Half the burden will vaporize. Refuse to be intimidated by the steadfastness and dexterity of the tortoise or the speed and confidence of the hare. Your goal isn't to compete with your peers. Your education serves to illuminate and secure your future. Don't lust for profound wisdom or knowledge, doing so will make you shallow. You're complete and competent in your simplicity, this will take you to success. You've done well, and I'm proud of you.

My college experience has allowed me to meet professors, in varied fields, that personify passion and success in their fields. In other words, they love what they do and do what they love. These professors take the time to find creative ways to engage their students; therefore, ensuring our understanding, opening our minds to other disciplines and helping us locate our passions. As a result, I have reignited a previously lost passion and found a greater appreciation for subjects that, prior to these classes, I had little interest in. I have also come to a deeper understanding of the importance of multi-disciplinary training for a truer perspective. It has been valuable to attend college for three reasons. One, I have been able to determine, without a doubt, that my career choice is my true passion. Two, the heightened cultural awareness from a diverse student body has been extraordinary. They have demystified myths and enabled me to understand the strong desire I have to work on an international level. Last, yet certainly not least, by finding new strengths and refining old ones I can be successful in my personal and professional life.

The whole purpose of college is to train students to become a vital part of society. Society needs college students now more than ever before. This is because the socialization of college is incomparable. Necessary skills are acquired within the four walls of the college classroom. As a student, one of the most important things I have learnt in college is that it is only in the dictionary that success comes before work--only because “s” comes before “w”. In real life, one has work comes before success. This means that as one lives, one has to work in order to attain success and become noteworthy. It also emphasizes the fact that things are bound to get tough and rough at times, but determination and perseverance would surely see one through. As a student, I have also learnt to make good use of acquired information in all situations of life. Being taught so many things in college, one would wonder what to do with such material. Sometimes, the information could be overwhelming; nevertheless, acquiring the information and using it in our everyday experiences is an indication to society that one has seen the four walls of college.

As a senior I would tell myself to choose a school in the area that I would like to work in. Choose a school strong in the field of study desired. A school with the creditabililty to get a good job upon graduation. Choose a school with strong internship capability and placement. A school that will support your eating habits ie. vegetarian. A strong campus community and strong school pride. School with many extra curricular activities and sports teams that fit you best. Do not worry about the finances as much as doing well. Network as much as possible and develop strong relationships with key people. Have a clear goal as to what you want to accomplish and execute it. Plan future and goals out and reevaluate progress periodically. Seacrh for scholarships to help with cost of college. Study abroad and enjoy the experience. Try not to work a full time job or too many hours if possible. Think long and hard about where you choose to go and research as much as possible as it will heavily influence life. Do not choose a school based on being division 1 in NCAA. Do as many internships as possible.

I would tell my High school self that in order to prepare myself for College that I need to learn how to present and thoroughly research a College paper properly. In High school the teachers unlike the professors in college do not baby you or remind you every second of when your paper that you have to do research on is due. There are some Professor’s who will occasionally remind their students about the assignment but others might not do that. They assume that since some students are more mature and are grown. Who have completed their degree or finishing that it is automatically understood, that they are responsible for any work that is required of them. No matter what life complications that will occur such as a family drama issues or a baby’s daycare needs. College Professor’s are very strict when it comes to punctuation and students being available 100 percent of the time. It can severely affect the student’s grade. If a student is absent 3 or more times without a doctor notice and comes to class after attendance is taken, and the student will be considered absent for the day .

I would tell myself to be more open to the idea of going away to college instead of commuting. Also to take core classes first and understand what classes are needed for your degree. Get involved in school clubs that have your interest and participate in school events; you will make lots of friends and it will look great on your resume. Take at least one summer course a year so you will not need an extra semester because six classes each semester is too much while working part-time. It is okay to withdraw; if you are going to fail the class withdrawing is a better option because it will not hurt your GPA. Have a planner or use your phone to keep track of when assignments are due. It will help better organize your time to complete big projects, papers, or presentations. Lastly, take responsiblity for your future; make sure you understand the classes you need to take, the graduation process and other processes of the college such as the dates you need to pay by. Do not rely solely on the advisors at the college because sometimes there are miscommunications.

Hello Estefania, I want you to know that college is not as terrifying as you may think so don?t let your anxieties take over you. I think one important key pertaining to academics is to always do the best work you can. Never underestimate your workload and seriously kick the habit of procrastination that will only serve to hinder your efforts for good grades. When you arrive to college you have to be willing to shed your shyness since it will completely prevent you from fully enjoying all the aspects of college. Putting aside your drive for high grades being a mute seat warmer in class will not make you feel fulfilled. Develop your voice and do not be afraid for it to be heard since that?s all professors want to listen to. Also feel free to be yourself because there is nothing more motivational than good friends in college. Do not isolate yourself because the friends you make will not only help you when you?re struggling with a course but they will enhance your social life and aid you into learning more about yourself. You Are Awesome, Estefania Ure?a

If I were able to go back in time to visit myself as a high school senior, I would tell myself to use this opportunity as a second chance. I would tell myself that I doesn't matter what college I attend, but what I do with my time there both academically, socially, and career-wise. I encourage myself to never lose the drive to do better and to develop a competitive nature by befriending the best and the brightest to challenge myself with. For even if I never surpass those students, there is an increased chance that I will sustain a very high GPA and have fun while I am working so hard. Since I have always believe that kinship or companionship makes for a better journey, I would tell myself to form friendship with a diverse group of people, because these are the people that will eventually be my foundation and motivation to continue pass all the hurdles I will definitely face. Although I have been successful in areas of my life inspite of a few hiccups along the way, I would tell my past self that having fun and working hard would make me a happier me.

Before I attended college I had very little experience of the world beyond my hometown. Going to community college brought me into contact with new people from diverse backgrounds and life way?s; people, whom I believe have taught me as much about the world over the last two years as I have learned from the textbooks and lectures of my college professors. As a result of their stories and actions, I am more aware of the social issues and cultural differences that surround me, and more likely to ask intelligent questions when I encounter them. Additionally, this awareness has lent me the finesse and the courage to bring my own ideas into the discussion of what makes us human and what the role of humanity is in the contemporary world. As an artist, anthropologist, and individual person looking for her place in this world, I value this awareness as the greatest gift my college and the people that inhabit it have given me, and hope that that it will help me to be a more effective person in the world of which I am part.

If i could go back in time, and have coffee with myself as a high school senior, there are a few things i'd say to myself. One of the most important things I would try to impress upon myself would be the value of time. I'd try to convince myself to give up the age old practice of procrastination. That when a professor gives you a week to write a paper, Do not wait till the night before its due to start writing it. If you know there is going to be an exam two weeks from now, start studying tonight. I would also try to convince myself to apply to more than just one school. I would lay out the values of cultivating more than oppurtunity as opposed to "laying all one's eggs in one basket" The last thing I would tell myself is to remember, that the only person that can ever stand in the way of accomplishing a goal, Is myself. Sometimes you get a professor who doesn't care, and the way to deal with that is to succeed in spite of that.