Cuyahoga Community College District Top Questions

What should every freshman at Cuyahoga Community College District know before they start?

Kylie

My dad still tells the story of how when he dropped me off my freshman year of college, I was a walking contradiction: eager and timid, wide-eyed with wonder and fear, reverted back to a little kid who was told to run free on the playground when they weren't quite ready to let go of their parent's hand. Here's my words of advice to innocent high school senior me: 1. IT'S OKAY TO NOT HAVE AN ANSWER TO THE MOST ANNOYING QUESTION EVER. It's normal to not know what you want to go to school for or be when you grow up. I'm now 25 and I only just now figured it out. 2. YOUR COLLEGE ROOMMATE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE YOUR BEST FRIEND. Treat others the way you'd like to be treated, and your dormroom doesn't have to go into full Darwin mode. Simple as that. 3. TIME PASSES NO MATTER WHAT. IT'S WHAT YOU DO WITH THAT TIME THAT MATTERS. College (and life) goes so quickly that it's important to not idly sit while it passes you by. Do something meaningful that will better yourself.

Nechama

I would advise everyone to start applying for scholarship as soon as possible. I did not, and have come to regret this. I would also encourage everyone to apply to a few places. One college should be above your standards, and one below. This gives you a better chance of acceptance. My next tip would be to try to hook up with a professor in college that knows his stuff. This way if you had any questions you have someone to talk to. Not all advisors know what they're talking about. I would also suggest you sign up for all newsletters and information classes that are in the field that you are interested in. If you dream of becoming an accountant like I am, join the club and become a member of accounting societies. Most of all DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK. Make sure you understand what you're getting yourself into. Know how your financial aid works. Research colleges before you apply. Be prepared. Know what books you'll need far enough in advance, so you'll be able to order them online for less. Make your college goal- "MAXIMUM EDUCATION AT THE LOWEST COST". Good luck!

Thana'e

Knowing what I know now, I would tell my high school senior self to aim for As and Bs in all of your classes because a C can seriously bring down your GPA and colleges pay very close attention to your GPA; especially when it comes to academic scholarships. Colleges also pay attention to being involved with community service and extracurricular activities, so do as much as you can! I would tell myself to apply to as many scholarships as I possibly can because they can help A LOT and you do not have to pay those back. Knowing that I would be away from home and I would be granted a lot of FREEDOM, I would tell myself to get my priorities straight, to study, and to practice time management. And I would also stress how important it is to keep a good GPA up in college just like high school. Your cumulative is very important and if you fall short you will be put on academic probation and if you still fail to improve, you will be dismissed and your financial aid will be taken away. Moral of the story: Be smart, ask questions and make wise decisions!

Claire

I would have used the resources on campus more and get my grades up earlier. I would plan out my semesters and classes more knowing the schools I am interested in transfering to.

moira

If I could give adivce to my high school self, I would tell her that she should take advantage of what high school has to offer her. To be more aggersive when trying to find a job and getting the homework done. I would say to have more courage in herself and to trust her gut when it comes to making descisons. Take the time to decide what I really want to do with my life. I would tell her to work harder than i did and really focus on looking at scholarships. I would tell myself all these things so I would be ready for the real world. So that I truly know where i'm going in life and certainaly have the money and experince for college life and the real world.

Mya

I would tell myself, to get more invovled with school. Become more active in sports and in school orginizations. also be more concerned with my grades and school work instead of "social life". Your high school friends being around after Highschool is rare, you part ways, dont get caught up in the present but yourf utrue

Caitlin

In my senior year of high school, I was preparing to make the transition to college. But little did I know that the financial hardships would be so distracting. Though I am doing well in college, the financial stress is a huge distraction; how will I pay my rent? Can I afford to turn the heat on this week? Will I have gas to drive to class today? If I could give my former high school self some advice, it would be this: be resourceful. Apply for every single scholarship you are eligible for. Take the time, and make the effort; it will pay off (literally) in the long run. Sometimes, the minimum wage pay just doesn't stretch far enough. Work hard and form a cushion for yourself to use in the hard times. I believe I did a good job of preparing for college, but I do wish I'd done just a little extra work in searching for scholarships. I am paying for it now, and I try to help younger kids in my community with their scholarship search so they don't make the same mistakes I did.

Kyoko

I would tell myself to stop trying to impress other people. Stop being somebody that other people will like, but somebody that you don't know anymore. Don't hang out with popular kids just because you think they're cool and maybe you'll be cool too if you hang out with them. Don't worry about them because after highschool, after you go your separate ways and might barely know them afterwards, you're going to wonder where you went after all those years. Where were you when your real best friend needed you? What did you think was going to happen? You'd be popular forever? This is the advice I would give myself. College is so different and it's even more tempting to be somebody you're not just to go hang with the more popular crowds, but in the end the only person who can make you feel happy and accomplished is YOU.

Christina

Looking back on my high school years, I realize there are a few changes I could have made that would have eased the transition into college. I participated in cheerleading all four years of high school; however, if I would have joined in additional activities it could have been a benefit to my social interactions and competitiveness with others. I feel volleyball is a sport I should have pursued. Participation in volleyball and cheerleading throughout my high school years would have enabled me to be more involved in extracurriculars In addition, being active in more clubs and volunteer work would have made me more involved with my community. I should have really pushed myself to take part in these great opportunities so I could have enhanced my education and gained more leadership qualities. Lastly, taking advantage of the post secondary option would have helped in my preparation for college. This option of taking college courses while in high school would have helped me get ahead. I would have entered my first year of college with many classes already completed. Having this head start would have made me feel more prepared while I made my transition from high school to college.

Noelle

Thinking about my high school career, I find myself very content with my choices. Sure there are things that I would do differently, but I am very happy with how my future has turned out so far. I was always the student who worked really hard and concentrated way too much on school. In spite of all of this, I was quite a procrastinator. As junior year quickly flew by and senior year was all about prom and graduation, I found myself at a loss. Of course I knew that I wanted to work with animals, but I did not know what sort of jobs were available in that career path. Looking back at my high school self, I would say that the best thing to do is to start the college search before junior year. I would tell myself to start searching for animal related careers, look at different college majors, narrow down choices so not to be overwhelmed, and talk to adults with interesting careers involving animals. I think with this advice, I would have been less stressed and better prepared.