Madison, SD
Dakota State University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Dakota State University

Paulina

Good school, nice people and good faculty. Growing fast, the only problem is the athletic department that is very small and the facilities are terrible, not enough space for all the sports that are at DSU. Not a lot of scholarships either even tho there is a lot of alumnus donating every semester.

Dakota State University is an overall good school. It is heavily computer inclined which can be a positive or negative. Often, non-computer major programs are not given proper attention by the school. The food varies from day to day. People who are vegetarian or who have special dietary needs will have a hard time eating here. The professors and advisors give adequate time to students, and the classes are overall useful and enjoyable.

I love the small classes here, even the general classes are smaller and it is easier to ask questions. Also with the small classes professors actually get to learn your name. I also like how we have an academic adviser who helps you know what classes to take for your major.

Peyton

Dakota State University is a great school. With small class sizes and instructors that do everything they can to help you succeed. At Dakota State you are not on your own, teacher though more relaxed still hold you responsible and will do what they can to motivate students in the right direction. Dakota States offers a lot of room for success if you are a student that has the drive.

Carl

I really like the atmosphere of Dakota State University. My classes and professors are really cool, and if I need something I can usually get a hold of them even on the weekends. The social atmosphere is pretty cool to especially for nerds. The college is renowned for its computer programs and one of the first colleges recognized by the NSA for cyber operations program. As such gaming especially computer games and board games all have a really big scene here. Games like Warhammer 40 K, Dungeons & Dragons, and other tabletop or board games of their own night in the cafeteria which usually goes to 1 AM. The sports seems pretty cool as well with eight games having active groups competing in tournaments in the fall of 2016 with others attempting to do the same. We also have our own gaming convention called Nano Con in November.

Brady

The students that go to DSU are very friendly and it was easy to get along with everybody with no problems at all.

I would tell myself that it is not easy but to just keep on going and you will get through it. Also I would tell myself to start to save money because college keeps getting more and more expensive and I was not ready for that and the amount of money I had to take out. I would also tell myself to take college credits in high school so then I would not have to pay to take them in college because that would have saved me a great amount of money.

The worst thing about DSU is the construction of some of the majors. The school is focused on the computer majors and sometimes forgets about the other majors that the school has to offer. They are working on redesigning the forgotten majors but it will be a long process.

Matthew

A unique blend of students figuring out their lives one day at a time.

A unique blend of students figuring out their lives one day at a time.

The single best advice I can give anyone is that they should go to class. In class you will make more friends than you think and actually learn the things that will help you be successful.

People who think that they are going to experience "The Greek Life" should not attend this school. It is a really great school but it does not have that scene at it. Honestly, there are more important things than that any way.

Jared

Friendly place where you can grow and find out more about the world around you and about yourself while making friends that will last a lifetime. People are close to each other, and if you're willing to put the effort into it, like anything else it will be very rewarding.

Don't worry about dating, leave that alone for the first year or two. Focus on getting friends, and just get your work done early so you can spend that time with the friends you make. Don't sign up for too many activities, and make sure you don't take on too much. Also, keep an eye on how much money you have. Don't be too cheap, but be wise.

The professors will get to know you on a first name basis, it's a small walk across campus, the audio studio is fantastic, and the faculty are friendly and you could have a personal conversation with the President of the school and he would listen to you. The community is truly what makes this university special.

Ian

Don't slack off. You don't have Mom around to keep you on track. No matter how easy classes might seem, or how inevitable failure might be, spend as much time as you need in order to be the best student you can be. You're there to learn, and there's no reason not to try your hardest. Even between classes and studying, you'll still have plenty of time to hang around and make friends. College might seem like the time people are supposed to goof off and have fun, and it IS supposed to be a fun experience, but it's also supposed to be the time that sets you up for the real world. High School didn't really matter. It's four years of your life that are supposed to set you up for the four that actually make the difference.

Despite how small it is, the campus and it's staff are very involved in student life and activities. I participated in over a dozen activities in High School and so didn't expect much going into my first college year. What I didn't realize is that there are still a ton of things for students to get involved with, even students who have never participated in an organized activity before, and plenty of ways to get help with classwork if needed.

DSU is one of the best schools in the nation for anyone majoring in any sort of computer science. We've got some of the best programs, , we supposedly have an amazing download rate of 90mb/s, and in my opinion, some of the best professors. Even despite their computer focus, their other departments are structured very well. Students of any major can easily find a place to learn and live during their time on campus.

Kristina

I would advise my younger self to try her hardest in high school and actually study. I don't have problems studying now, but my habits could be better. I would also tell myself to study hard on core subjects. Math and science classes are a part of nearly every college student's career, and going in with more than I had (nothing) would have helped immensely. I have a hard time with math, and studying it more in high school would have prepared me better. I was good in Biology and could have easily gotten college credit while in high school and I didn't. I'm now going into my final semester, taking four 400-level classes and one 100-level science class, something that could have been avoided. A last thing I would tell my younger self is to read while she still can. I have a mountain of books I want to read but on top of work and school, I just can't motivate myself to do so. I really wish I would have read more while I was in high school.

A lot of the students seem to be stuck in a high school mindsets. A lot of people see two distinct groups: gamers, and jocks. At times there is a bit of animosity between the two.

Someone who wants a good deal of sports in their college career.

Dakota State University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.