Dalton State College

« See more reviews of Dalton State College

Now that I have two years of college behind me, I would honestly only change one thing about my past approach to my Freshman year. This thing may not seem hugely significant; however, during my transition from graduating from a homeschool program of study to going to a public college, it was a very significant part of my life at the time. I would tell my 12th-grade self not to worry so much about grades. Before you write me off for collegiate heresy, allow me to unpack that statement and explain exactly what I am trying to communicate. My first entire year was a maelstrom of getting myself prepared for college--mentally and documentally. Because of all the hard work I put in during the application process, I made college my entire life for a time - disregarding everything else, from God to friends to family. I pray and pray that I would never fall into that nearly inescapable obsession with school and disregard anything important to me ever again. Because now through remembering what is truly and undoubtedly the most important thing to me, my Savior Jesus Christ, I have found so much direction and satisfaction in my life!

If there was one thing I could have told my high school counterpart it would be that procrastination is not the key. In high school it might be easy to get away with, but college professors are not as lenient. Also, study even if you think you do not have to. It does not have to be a lot just skim your notes once maybe twice a day. This will help prevent you from cramming and that ever nagging procrastination problem. Follow these guidelines and I can guarantee your college experience will be much easier. In addition do not catch senioritis at the end of your senior year because it can cost you much needed money in scholarships and grants. Another great way to help you get money for college is to be active in the community and in school clubs/sports. These scholarships are geared toward people with the drive to succeed, and active people usually possess that drive. In the end all it takes to succeed in college is a little studying, a drive to succeed, being active in the community/school, and disregarding all your high school learning habits because college is a whole different ball game.

You're worried about college, but you shouldn't be. Yes, you have little money to spend on furthering your education, but there are numerous ways to pay for college. Besides, isn't personal growth worth any expense? There are scholarships available for students just like you. You do not have to settle on an inexpensive college that will not give you a valuable experience because you do not have the money to pay for a more established school. Money aside, you will do fine in college. You will buckle down when necessary and excel. However, do not forget to have fun. Get involved in student organizations. College is more than going to class and earning excellent grades. Of course that is important, but it is also important to become part of your college's community. You will meet people who will broaden your view of the world. Education is more than just books and papers; it is growing as a person and learning how you can impact others. My advice for you is to be unafraid. Take all you can from these years; they will serve as an important foundation for learning in the rest of your life.

If I were able to go back and talk to myself regarding college life, using the experiences I have had, I would tell myself to be to be ready to learn. Although most people would probably not agree with me, I feel everyone should be ready to learn and have a goal before attending college. Many young adults are pushed into attending college right after high school by their parents, teachers, and peers. The fact they are not ready to attend is never even considered. If they are not ready to go to college to learn and become a professional in whatever field you have chosen then they will not be able meet the challenges ahead. In conclusion, I would tell myself don't go to college because your friends are going, don't go to college because your parents say you have to, and don't go to college because it was preached so much in high schools you think that attending college is just the next step in life. In order to gain all of the knowledge you can from attending college you must know what you really want to do in life and be ready to learn.

Dear Jose, I'm writting you to tell you that anything that you did to get to college will not get you through college. Jose first you have to dedicate your entire life to school. Prioritize your time making school first and evrything else second. if you are working do your best to live a work life balance so that you dont take your time from learning for working. Do not be afraid to make friends but the right ones, the friends you make in college will determine how good of a grade you get. if you chose friends that deciate there life to school and school is number one on there list of to do's then you will probably end up getting good grades. The more you have the subject in your mind the bettere it is to remember the subject for a test. Jose make sure to leave a block just for studing. dedicate your life to school because this is your life that your dealing with. if your shooting for the best than for get the rest and dont settle for anything else than the best. I love you jose, work hard play later

I have finally been challenged. Dalton State has demanded more from me on not just an academic level but a personal level as well. Regardless of the honors or AP classes I took in high school, I was bored; now, each semester I face new and harder professors with high expectations. I've had to break my old habit of procrastination and develop better note-taking skills as well as keep and up-to-date schedule of assignments. My college experience has made me more responsible in managing my time and my money. I had never had to live on a budget before, and I constantly look for new ways to lessen my spending and stretch what money I have. I've also become much more confident. In the short time I've been at DSC, I've made many close friends and have "put myself out there" more than any other time in my life. It's given me a new self-confidence that I've always wanted. I love the person I'm becoming and that I can regularly use what I've learned in my classes from day to day. I am proud to attend this school.

I cannot adequately express the value of my college experience so far. Dalton State has enhanced me academically, but much more went into my success than academics. The social events and variety of clubs opened up opportunites to explore all of my interests. The social events allowed me to get involved with the people with whom I wanted to share my next few years, such as the volunteer service. I also found that the events gave me the opportunity to diversify my inner circle, since the people populating the college originated in all walks of life. The lovely surroundings of the college, all forest and fauna, encourage students to take a few minutes to wander before rushing into their cars and off the premesis upon finding freedom from the classroom. There's an ease to be had, watching people recline about the bell tower with either friends or textbooks. From Dalton State College, I've got the confidence of belonging somewhere brighter and more enjoyable to start my life.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in highschool, the first thing I would do is give myself a swift kick to the behind.Second on my list would be to stress the importance of filling out all of those scholarships that I procratinated until they were expired. I would walk behind myself everyday of senior year and whisper in my ear, "If you want to get out of this small town, you have to fill out those scholarships." Next order of business would be to visit every college that I was interested in. College visits are way more important than I thought they were. Next on my list would be to remind myself to keep focus. I would tell my "senior self" to make a poster of the schools I wanted to go to and put it where I could see it, so I would always have that in the back of my mind. Lastly I'd stress how easy it is to get comfortable. If I could go back and tell myself how badly I want to get out, maybe I'd finally understand what I'd needed to do.

If I could go back in time, then I would tell myself to take a year off. During that year, I would work. I went directly from high school to college and had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. If I had spent that first year just working and figuring out the 'cost' of life, then I would have not goofed off the first year of college and ran down my GPA. I would also tell myself to choose the college that appeals to me most and not my parents. My mom wanted me to go to NGCSU because it was closer to her. I should have followed my instints and we to DSC and lived with my dad. If I had taken a year off and then attended Dalton State first, then perhaps at 29 years of age, I would actually have a degree and earning decent money. Instead I am struggling just to pay the next rent payment. I am also a single mom of twin girls. If I had put college first instead of wanting to have someone love me, then I could have had my finances in order before I had children.

If I could go back in time and tell my highschool self about college and the transitions, I would talk about the abundance of homework that is required in college. Along with homework, college requires a lot more reading than I ever had to experience in highschool. I consider myself to be an avid reader, but it was mostly by choice and not by the instructors. With college, I am reading what is required or labeled as 'in my best interest' and not what I would choose to read. Another big difference between highschool and college is in highschool I got a lot of chances to express myself through my writing or assignments and with college it is more about a certain set of guidelines or criteria. The first core classes that you take out of highschool are more about structure and not creativity. These are some things that I would talk to my former highschool self about college because it was a slight culture shock for me and I wish I would have been more prepared.