Drexel University

« See more reviews of Drexel University

I feel like its impossible to be "out of place" at Drexel. There are student organizations for anything you can imagine and if there isn't you can create it fairly easily. This isn't high school anymore and most people get along. Some students wear their pajamas to class or dress very casually, there are some people that go to class in their work clothes because they're on co-op, some that do research in between classes and come to class in labcoats and there are others that look like they came out of Vogue. Another thing I like about Drexel is even with the large amounts of Delaware, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania residents, there are people from everywhere. I know people from South Korea, Michigan, Alaska, Nevada, Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, California, Florida, and France. Those are just people that I know personally. People are also all from different financial backgrounds. There are people here that are loaded but there are also people here that rely on large school granted scholarships and student loans to be here also. Students are politically aware for the most part, especially with the recent presidential debates held at Drexel. People tend to be more left, although there are also a large amount of more right leaned people and moderates. Students always talk about how much they'll earn, hence theres a facebook group called "I go to Drexel so I'll be making more money than you." I think it just shows that people feel with their 1-3 co-op cycles, the available research, and the value of a Drexel degree that they have confidence is procuring a job in the future that pays well.

There are plenty of different groups on campus in all of these categories, and many fraternities and sororities on campus. It is impossible to not find a group that you would be interested in joining. I don't think many students would feel out of place because of the "kind" of student they are. I do think you need to be very mature though or the "launch" into the real world that Drexel gives you can be scary. Students wear a wide range of clothing. Some dress up, some dress normal, and some wear sweatpants or pajamas to class. Most students are traditionally from PA, DE, and NJ, but this dramatically changing and students are coming from all the states and other countries. Drexel was founded on the principle of allowing low and middle class people get an education, and that hasn't changed. A large chunk of Drexel's students are on heavy financial aid. The financial backgrounds have a wide range and are pretty well distributed. Students constantly talk about how much they will earn one day because Drexel is geared towards getting a job.

The student population at Drexel varies tremendously! There are people from all different backgrounds. However, I would say that the commuter student population is the biggest. Drexel is accessible in many ways and since the university is so expensive, students save money by living at home. Once a student gets into the upper level classes, there may not be much variety in the students, but everyone has different views and opinions on every topic, so there is always a good discussion ahead. Depending on the class level (freshman, sophomore, etc), students will wear and interact differently. Most freshman dress in whatever they wore to bed, talk to everyone loudly, and walk the slowest. On the other hand, upper classmen have gotten in work experience and may be working/ going to school at the same time. They wear business casual, concentrate on their studies, and always seem to be in a rush. Everyone still talks to everyone else and there doesn't seem to be many fights or arguments between students because everyone focuses on their work.

There are many different religion groups on campus, but everyone blends together. No one would feel out of place at Drexel, unless you are a close mined person then you may feel out of place. Most students wear jeans and a decent shirt to class or sweats, depending on where in the term we are. Everyone interacts, we are really an open campus with everyone getting along. Four tables would either be a table of all girls, all boys, a mixture. All the tables generally have the same type of people at them, sometimes you will see a table of a sports team. Most students are from Pennsylvania or New Jersey and we do have a high percentage of international students. Most students are scholarship students. Many students are politically aware and active. Our political groups do a lot of things to get people involved. Most are democrats but there is a decent size of center and right. Some students like to talk about how much they will make one day.

Racially, there are a lot of extracurricular clubs. There are clubs for Indians, Latinos, Filipinos, African Americans, etc. There are also religious organizations such as Campus Crusades for Christ and Islamic Society. No student should feel out of place if you can find at least one club you identify with. Most students wear jeans and a sweatshirt to class. Different types of students often interact in the classroom setting, but in the social setting, things seem to be more segregated. Most students are from the tri-state area, but there are a lot from other places as well. I know people from California, Arizona, Texas, and Georgia to name a few. Financial backgrounds are usually middle class or wealthy. Students often speak of potential income.

Drexel does have a very diverse student body, we have students from all over the world and from all religious and political backgrounds. I would say that it is pretty easy for anyone to find a good group of friends here, and people that share similar views. There are a TON of different clubs and student organizations, there really is something for everyone. Most of the students that go here do come from a wealthier financial background (I mean we were named the most expensive school in the nation), but I do know a few students who are paying their way through themselves (no idea how, but props to them!). Everyone is hoping that when they leave Drexel all the hard work will pay off and they will be making as much if not more than their parents.

One great thing about Drexel is that we are hugely diverse, with intelligent people from each race. This means we all have a great sense of humor when it comes to racial jokes/slurs, which brightens up a lot of our days. Popular people from their highschools would feel out of place here, or big drinkers. Most kids that go here come from wealthy families in the Tristate area. Politics are everywhere at drexel as well with most being Democrats. Students here don't talk about how much they will earn one day, they talk about how much they earn on co-op, and chances are its more than your mom. Co-op price ranges are from 300 - 1300+ per week.

While diverse most racial/religous groups stay within their group. If you are from the suburban midwest or south and are not used to being around ppl of different races then drexel is not for u. It's not that u won't be accepted it's that you might feel uncomfortable if you're not open to it. While i feel basically safe at Drexel, it is in a bad neighborhood so some ppl might not feel safe. It's made up of many commuters. While the location is convenient to public transportation, Drexel segregates commuters. There are different activites and programs for them. It doesn't seem like they are welcome.

I know some (smart!) supernerds who make me look like I have a life, some people who have a decent compromise of academics and social life, and people who aren't interested in the least in the things that I am, but are still completely nice anyway. And there are people who make you think "who the hell let this moron in?" I don't hear much about race, gender, orientation, etc. so I think it's a nonissue for most people. The one thing that really brings people together is hating the bullshit classes and red tape, but if you commute that still gives you less time to complain with your fellow students.

Get involved. Get involved. I'll say it again, get involved. There's plenty to do on campus (and this is the time where I pitch Greek Life). Fraternities and Sororities have more activities than any other organization on campus. Sports, socials, community service, philanthropic events, formals, etc etc etc, and you can gain an immense amount of experience dealing with how organizations run, how to hold positions, communication, leadership, and it pretty much provides more networking than you ever need. Enough said.