Drexel University

« See more reviews of Drexel University

I attended Drexel University for their 11 month accelerated nursing program. I had a previous bachelors degree from the University of PIttsburgh. I wish I had known that Drexel requires its nursing students to take the NCLEX practice exam, the HESI in order to graduate. They require an 87% on the HESI exam to be eligable for graduation. Although I passed, approximately 30 of my classmates did not and have yet to receive their diplomas. Some have even been told to consider other careers. Meaning, their passing classes has nothing to do with completing the program. Despicable.

One of the greatest blunders is the mistake of being reluctant to change and embracing the person I want to be. I should have lived on campus or done so sooner to develop a strong social network of peers. I wish I would have known the value of social networking and campus involvement and weighed it against financial woes. I arrived at Drexel with a goal of becoming an electrical engineer but unfortunately hadn't planned anything else. I should have participated in more study groups, and taken advantage of other resources that would likely have increased my test scores.

I wish I had known how intense the ten week quarter system was. There are usually three rounds of midterms (during week 3, week 6, and week 9) followed by finals during week 11. With 4-5 classes a semester as a full time student this kind of schedule can be extremely grueling for the unprepared student. There is no time to slack off and very little room for error. Focus, dedication, commitment and time management skills are MUST HAVES at Drexel. However, it's not impossible. The system just typically weeds out those who aren't serious about education.

I wish I'd known more about better ways to finance college tuition. Being the first in the family attending college, I was pretty much left on my own to get ready for college & unfamiliar with the FAFSA & applying for scholarships, bringing my family & I a great deal of stress as the year progressed. I think it would be EXTREMELY helpful & beneficial to students if high school help seminars demonstrating how/where to apply for scholarships & the best way to fill out the FAFSA correctly so students aren't left to figure it out on their own like i was.

I wish I would've known the majors at this school in more detail. I originally chose a BS in Computer Science as my major. I ended up changing it twice, and now I am in information systems with a minor in accounting. I would've wished I known some of the 'secrets' when it comes to financial aid, or stories of students who ran into trouble in this school and how they solved it rather than hearing nothing but success stories. These stories would most definitly reassure me of my problems I might've had while attending this school.

I wish that I had known how much the real world relies on "who you know," rather than "what you know." In college, especially the business school at Drexel, one of the main things that the Business 101 professors focus on is networking. I wish I had been expecting to expand my network not only socially, but professionally. Luckily, I was able to learn very quickly and have since been practicing by making connections wherever I go, whether into the city or back home. I have also learned how important business cards can be.

I wish I would have known the importance of attending accepted new student days and orientations. Once I got accepted, I sent them my deposit and that was that. I really should have taken more chances to get to know all the services available and get myself better oriented with the campus. I would have also liked to have known about summer programs available for students in my particular college and realized I could have gotten more involved with the College of Engineering sooner and made major contributions to the college.

I wish I had known more about the limitations of the co-op system which is the most advertised aspect of the university. The school gives you numbers/percentages for the overall student body, in terms of getting a co-op and whether it's unpaid or not. When they average numbers, they don't tell you that the majority of the paid jobs are in engineering, and they don't provide much information about how many co-ops there really are in each major. Sometimes people have to look in other majors for a co-op.

Before attending high school I wish that I had known what it meant to be myself. When I first started high school I had a big group of freinds, but I never really had fun. My friends were nothing like the kind of person that I was. They were mean to everyone inside and outside of our small group. As I grew up though high school I learned that I was only pretending to be like them so that I would have freinds and be invited places. By the end I left those friends to make ones more like me.

Before I started attending Drexel, I wish I had fully realized the difficulty of ten week terms. I knew of the quarter system and I had been warned that it's not for everyone. Ten week terms means you have midterms four or five weeks into your freshman year of college. It means missing a single class could have detrimental effects on your grade. Although it is a lot of hard work, I've learned to adjust to the system. I find it to be a challenging and rewarding way to learn.