Emory University

« See more reviews of Emory University

It is great to look into programs of the school and the quality of its enriching academic environment. Make sure the professors at the school are great teachers and ask questions about the college life to the students attending in that school. However the most important step in making the college experience a great life experience is to take chances with each day not being afraid of the impending grades or different people, but to have confidence in all things. Also grades are not everything so always keep in mind to take a breather for yourself and spend time with friends. Also have a greater dream to serve others and let that lead you to choose your classes and your major. Always keep your morals and keep your priorities in check constantly. Also do not let yourself be closed in or become isolated since that is very easy to do but reach out to others in confidence and always keep a good attitude about life.

Knowing what I know now I would tell myself to not have a cow. College is fun and exciting Where I was, all the people were very inviting. I would tell myself to cherish my seniority and final days on top, Because as a freshmen you’re at the bottom of the pot. Go to college with a blank slate, Make those appointments and keep those dates. Be sure to spend time with mom and dad Because you WILL miss them and be sad. Keep focused until the very end, And with friends, make amends. Trust your instincts and your college decision Don’t regret or cut yourself with an incision. Because everything happens for a reason And the reason will reveal itself in season. Also, the college ads for specially priced dorm gear, laundry services, and yearbooks- beware Because once you get here, nobody cares. (And they’re actually not cheaper). Oh yeah, and be wary of cupcakes and heavy meals Because freshmen 15 is real.

If I could go back in time, I would tell my high school senior self not to worry about the name of a school and to trust that everything would work out in the end, although I probably wouldn't have believed myself (after all, that was exactly what every adult had been telling me all year). I ended up at the last school I thought I'd attend and I could not be happier. There were many times where I stressed out and even cried over making my final college decision, and I wish I had relaxed a bit more so that I could have enjoyed myself more and made the college process much less stressful. Usually, I am a very laid-back person and I tend not to get upset easily and I wish this normal aspect of my personality had translated into my college applications and decision. However, I have now learned (albeit the hard way) to trust in myself that things will work out the way they're supposed to.

If I were to be able to go back in time and advise myself based up the experiences I have encountered, I would have done things vastly different. Jennifer, don't alow yourself to be distracted by people around you who do not have your own values and determination for success. Life, and school will have its difficult days but you must not allow the challenges to sway your futures desires and dreams. Don't be intimidated by someone who knows more than you and seek a mentor who is where you want to be to guide you to your goals. If it is your dream to continue your education stray away from taking too much time off before you return back to school. The longer you are away from exercising your brain in a academic setting the harder it will be for you to return or adjust when you do return. Lastly believe in yourself because you can do anything that you put your mind to.

College is great for students who want to achieve a responsiblity of going out on their own and finding their way in life. The friendships that are created will last a lifetime due to interaction through classes, social life, and struggles that are common between the college students. Examples of struggles are pulling "all nighters" due to studying for final exams, managing your time wisely, and fitting the mold of the student. The information that your brain retains through college is a privelage that one should appreciate. Many people do not get the chance to attend college and experience the "college life." I have many friends now that never went to college whom are now stuck in their careers with no education to fall back. They all wish they would have went to college to recieve the additional knowledge a college student recieves.

I believe that the biggest mistake that I made during my first year in college is not taking advantage of the resources that my school offered. Coming from a highschool where I barely had to study to get good grades, I believed that I might be able to do the same thing in college. That was not the case. College is very different from high school and requires so much more work. Even when I thought I was doing everything that I could do, I really wasn't doing enough. I would just advise myself to take advantage of the writing center to help me with my papers, take advantage of the tutors that are available to help all students at pretty much any time, and to take advantage of creating personal relationships with professors by visiting their office hours constantly whether it be to ask questions or to just have a normal conversation with them.

If I could go back in time and give college advice to myself, I would tell myself to look at all of the career options out there and to not rush the decision. When I first decided to go back to school in 1998, I chose a major that I believed would get me a job in any office. Looking back, I don't want to say that I was wrong, but I think I should have looked at different options before making that decision. Now that I am older (and hopefully wiser), I have decided to go back and get into the medical field. My goal is to become a surgical tech at a hospital. Originally, I was looking at becoming a radiology tech, but after volunteering at a hospital and learning about other jobs, I was able to job shadow and figure out what exactly what I want to do with the rest of my life. I believe that I will be happy with this decision.

I would let the students know that they have to consider all the different elements of a school before making the choice. Academics are gravely important because that is the reason you are seeking higher education, but your overall feelings and fit into the university count as well. You will be spending the four most important years of your life at the particular place and it will help determine what kind of human being you will be for the rest of your life. College is the time when you begin to take complete responsibility for your life. I would tell parents that they should help their children making decisions about college, but they must let their child make the final choice. We understand that parents only want what is best for their child, but students must be intelligent and mature enough to decide for themselves.

I would tell myself that continuing your education after high school open the doors to many opportunities. It also makes you a well rounded person because you learn about how you can serve your communities and the world through what type of degree you acquire. You also have the opportunity to meet and learn from and with people of different ethnic , socio economic, religous, racial, political, and people who may have a different sexual orientation preferences than yours. Education takes you from living in a secular society and introduces you to what it might be like to live in a collective society. It also forces you to stretch the boundaries of your mind by expanding your knowledge of the world. But most importantly of all no one can ever take away what you have learned from you because knowledge is power.

College was a great time for me to learn not only about academic subjects, but about my personal self. Given the opportunity to speak to my high school senior self, I would sit him down and explain to him the great time I'll have in the next 4 years of my life and the personal development I will undergo. But I would warn myself to make sure I am grounded in my goals, beliefs, and values. I had moments in my college years when I was sidetracked and overwhelmed by the independence and freedom I had come to experience, in addition to the opportunities I were never presented prior to college. I would caution myself to fully take advantage of the great experiences college has to offer, but to not forget who I am or what defines me as me, and to prevent myself from becoming defined by those things around me.