Florida State University Top Questions

Describe the dorms.

It depends on where you get assigned and what your priority number is. My first year, I was in one of the worst dorms. The area was interesting and I met a lot of friends due to the fact that my dorm was large and situated around a couple other buildings. We bonded over the crappiness of our living arrangements, but it was sociable. One of my closest friends and I just had to start talking after running into each other doing laundry or taking a shower in the communal bathrooms. It varies from almost a hotel and huge to smelly and small.

The dorms can either be a shared living space or and can be singles where you have your own room. I have spent time in both. Neither are bad, though I do enjoy having my own room. The dorms are generally well maintained and clean.

Anais

Dorms are decent, but it really varies from hall to hall. Some are old and not that great, others are new and pretty fantastic.

Dorm Life at FSU is something you just have to experience. Living on campus is so convenient and living in a dorm makes freshmen year a lot easier because you meet people that are all on the same page as you. It helps you get accommodated with the area and also experience the different dining halls FSU offers. It slowly eases you into living on your own and in the meantime you will make great friends in your hall.

I lived in Jennie Murphree Hall my freshman year, which is the all-girls dorm, and it was wonderful. I lived in a triple (three people in one room), and I shared a bathroom with my Resident Advisor. I had friends that lived in every hall though, and they all said the same thing - dorm life is what you make of it. Some dorms get a bad reputation because they aren't as new or "clean," but the staff takes excellent care of the dorm rooms, and the RA's are fantastic and fun. And don't fret about the community bathrooms - they are not as awful as they are made out to be! It's actually a great way to make friends!

Dayana

The residence halls at FSU vary. I lived in a suite-style dorm for a semester, and community style dorm for two semesters. The dorms are very clean and do a agood job of making it feel like home. Their locations are all extremely convenient.

The dorms really do vary from dorm to dorm. My first dorm, Smith, was the worst on campus: community style, old, incredibly tiny (12'x10' for 2 people), practically no storage, and mold everywhere. I've been crossing my fingers that they'll finally knock that place down and build a garden or something. My second dorm was one of the nicest on campus: DeGraff. DeGraff is in an odd place, across the street from campus instead of on campus itself, but that means it's quieter and closer to fun things, like Floyd's and Poor Paul's. The best dorm you can get is one of the one's on the Williams side of campus (Arts and Sciences) in a triple with a private bathroom. They're huge, you only have to share it with 2 other people, and you don't feel like an animal in a tiny, moldy cage.

The dorms vary greatly depending on where they are located. The east side of campus has mostly dorms that are original to the school, but all have been renovated within the last 10 years and are suite style. The dorms on the west side of campus were mostly built in the 1970's...and you can tell. Most of these dorms show their age. Some are suite style while others are communal with bathrooms shared by entire floors. There are dorms across Tennessee St. and right next to the stadium which are brand new, all being less than 8 years old. Cost for the dorms vary accordingly, with those that have been renovated requiring a meal plan and older dorms keeping on campus meal plans optional.

The West side of campus is where the best dorms are: - Landis (honors) - Gilchrist - Bryan (living learning community) - Jennie Murphree (all female) - Cawthon (music and women in math, science and engineering) - Reynolds (wellness community) - Deviney - Dorman These dorms are the best. Landis through Reynolds on that list are in the historical dorm buildings and are gorgeous, close to Suwannee Dining halls, and are connected by the Victorian catwalks. The catwalks were built for the women's college but are great study spots now and super convenient for traveling in the rain. They're also suite style, but you can read all those kinds of details on the FSU website. Deviney is where I lived freshman year and LOVED IT. It's community style in the best sense of the word. I got to know the girls on my floor so well and has an absolutely amazing resident assistant who made that building my home. It had lots of quirks, but it gave me an amazing experience and lots of great stories. The East side of campus has the les glamorous and more crowded dorms, and they are not nearly as well located as the West side dorms, in my opinion.

The residence halls on-campus vary a lot. The East side is mostly suite-style residence halls. They're a little more spacious and you share your room with one roommate, and you share a bathroom with two suite-mates. It's a pretty sweet luxury to be able to shower and pee without leaving your room, but this amenity comes with its pitfalls as well. Because you have to leave your room to go to the bathroom, community-style halls (mostly on the West side of campus) have a much better community. The community bathrooms usually have three toilet stalls, three shower stalls, and one sink. Most rooms in community-style halls have a sink in their room as well. The benefits of community-style are that those halls are generally much cheaper to live in, the bathroom is cleaned daily by maintenance staff, there is a more friendly-atmosphere, and they usually don't require a meal plan either. Most of the suite-style halls require a meal plan and it is up to residents to clean their own bathroom, which they usually don't. RA's live on every floor and are your go-to for any questions and concerns you have. They throw socials once a month for your floor and throw an All-Hall social for the building once a month as well. This helps you meet other people and get out of your room.