Georgetown University

« See more reviews of Georgetown University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

There are definitely stereotypes about the typical Georgetown Hoya. Initially, I know that I, too, had a specific image in mind when I thought about the Georgetown campus; I pictured preppy, somewhat snooty kids walking around talking about either basketball or politics in polo shirts and riding boots. This for sure detracted a fair amount from my interests in Georgetown. However, I believe that this kind of preppy stereotype expectation exists almost everywhere in the northeast. The biggest piece of advice that I would give to any high school junior or senior debating where they want to spend the next four years is this: don't judge a school based on rumors or based on a few individuals you may see while visiting. College is a fantastic place because it is home to the presence of infinite types of individuals with unending interests, backgrounds, personalities, and talents to offer. Stereotypes pretty much cease to exist once you get here. You bond and connect with the people who fit you and what you're looking for in friendships. And you branch out to others who may NOT be your 'type,' too. Georgetown is especially amazing for having those opportunities to extend friendships in every which way; the clubs, organizations, classes, majors, dining and housing facilities all allow it so you're constantly seeing familiar faces or coming across new ones that you want to become familiar. So yes, while maybe this 'preppy' stereotype exists at Georgetown initially. But you have to understand that stereotypes are just impressions, judgements that are assumed by what you see on the surface. At Georgetown, kids are coming from all over the world to be in D.C. and to have access to the great opportunities that the nation's capital offers. For this reason especially, the diversity is incomparable. The languages you hear on camps vary daily. The dress styles, student performances, and organizations are all a testament to the vast heterogeneity that exists on campus. Yet the Hoya pride unites everyone still, maintaining student cohesion and a bright, vibrant community that is ultimately without stereotypes, at all.

When people think of Georgetown, they immediately think of a bunch of smart, preppy, rich kids. They think of nerds studying all day every day in the library (Lau) and the parties as non-existent because everyone is too busy studying. They envision girls in Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Chanel, J.Crew, Banana Republic, Vineyard Vines, etc. and the guys dressed equally as preppy and expensive. And sure, there are some of those students at Georgetown, but there are also some of those students at every other college and university in the country. Georgetown is one of the most expensive and prestigious universities so of course there needs to be people who can afford to pay the tuition every month, but there's also great financial aid so there's definitely a lot of diversity. Is everyone smart? Well, yes, for the most part. Sure there are those token kids that make you wonder if they only got in because of their parents, but overall, Georgetown is filled with ambitious, intelligent young people. Yes, there are slackers and procrastinators, but in the end, almost everyone here knows how to get their stuff done. But don't be fooled by our intelligence because we also know how to party. We don't have real frats or sororities, but that doesn't stop us from going hard Wednesday thru Saturday and the occasional Sunday Funday. Smart kids can party too.

I've read variations of this in guidebooks and heard it from DC folks when I tell them I went to Georgetown. To be honest, it's true! You know those kids that bolt the door and study all day, sit hunched over their laptops at lunch, and spend away hours playing video games by themselves? These are a staple on college campuses, and there are just not very many of them at Georgetown. Georgetown students tend to be extroverted. Sure they study hard, may spend a weekend hunched a laptop when need be, but for the most part, they feel that college is not just about academics. They tend to be go-getters, with many taking the GUTS shuttle into the city a few days a week to intern, exploring their interests out in the real world. Most Georgetown students are able to carry on a conversation with just about anyone. If you get to Georgetown not knowing how to do this, you will learn fast. People here are open and outspoken about their interests. Most are genuinely interested in getting to know their classmates. Georgetown doesn't have a Greek system, but its students are hyper-social, whether it be going out, studying in groups, or just lounging around, talking with friends for way too many hours.

Georgetown University is known for having the typical Jack and Jane Hoya. Jack Hoya wears his collar popped and is probably from New Jersey. Jane Hoya wears the latest fashions and both come from really wealthy families. While that is the general stereotype for Georgetown students, I find it to be unrepresentative of the students. Sure, there are plenty who fit that stereotype, but the thing I love most about Georgetown is that there is a place for everybody, and largely everyone is accepted into the Georgetown Community. That's not to say, Georgetown doesn't face the same issues that every other school faces, but I've always found it to be a place full of supportive people. A stereotype that is reflective of Georgetown is that students work hard and party hard. While definitely not a cut-throat environment, there is a pressure to do well at everything. A majority of the students study hard, hit the gym regularly, are involved in tons of organizations, and still find time to cheer on their Hoyas at basketball games. For those who don't fit that mold, it can be a little overwhelming at times, but totally worth it.

At Georgetown, there exists this notion of a "Jack and Jane Hoya". This image of a stereotypical Georgetown student typically includes past education at an elite prep school, Northeastern roots, and a general affinity for all things salmon-colored or whale-embroidered. Even upon visting Georgetown's campus, it might appear that most students slip easily into this prep stereotype, strolling around sporting Ralph Lauren polos while typing away on their Blackberries. Once one actually becomes a student at Georgetown, however, this stereotypical veneer typically melts away, revealing that while Jack and Jane Hoyas do exist at Georgetown, so do many other varieties of Hoyas. Georgetown gets a reputation for having a largely white, affluent student body, but this narrow definition hardly reflects reality. In fact, some of the most active groups on campus are also the most culturally and religiously diverse.

Georgetown students are often stereotyped as preppy, wealthy, private school kids. While "Joe Hoya" and "Jane Hoya" certainly exist on the campus, the diversity of the student body surpasses the stereotype. I would not go so far as to say that Georgetown's recent ranking on the "most hipster colleges" list is accurate, but I am confident in saying that every Georgetown student has a story and talent to offer. I am constantly inspired and pleasantly surprised by the intelligence, achievements, and passions of my fellow students. People also tend to be open-minded about discussing their ideas and opinions with those who disagree with them.

The stereotype is that georgetown is filled with a ton of rich white kids from the east coast. It is also believed that the students are stuck up, high maintenance, or snobby. Both stereotypes are true to an extent. Seeing as how over half of the students are white and half of all students are not on any financial aid (meaning their families are paying $60,000 a year), the stereotype is mostly true. However, I have definitely met students of all races that are completely down to earth despite their families wealth. Diverse is not something Georgetown is though.

Because Georgetown values both legacy and international diversity, the common stereotype is that the campus consists of trust fund preps and foreigners. While one walk around campus will confirm that many students dress up (think Polo, J Crew, etc) and that there's a plethora of diversity, you'll find that just about everyone is surprisingly down-to-earth. I attribute the lack of egotism to the fact that there's no legitimate greek life, which goes a long way in uniting the school rather than dividing it.

The stereotype at Georgetown is that we are all rich, preppy, east coasters who went to the most elite prep high schools. While there are many people who do fit this stereotype, there are also a lot of international students and students from other states. People definitely study hard, but they also love to go out on the weekends to bars around DC. There is no greek life here(except a few Co-ed Frats). Students are very involved in extracurriculars and sports are big on campus.

A common stereotype at Georgetown is that everyone attending wants to run for President someday! While many of the students attending have an interest in politics, Georgetown has a place for everyone with every interest. With over 200 student organizations and events around campus, it's easy to find students who are just like you and who share the willingness to succeed.