Georgetown University

« See more reviews of Georgetown University

The best thing about Georgetown is that everyone loves Georgetown. No, I'm serious. Never have I ever felt such a surge of school spirit than I did when I first stepped foot on campus nearly four years ago. It's a perfect size - just small enough to give you the tight community feeling and just large enough to ensure that you don't have to see the same people every second of every day. Another thing I love about Georgetown is it's reputation. More often than not when I mention that I go to Gtown I get the "Wow, smart girl" or "Oh, great school" answer...and I must admit that I love that kind of reaction. When I'm on campus I'm usually in my apartment, in the gym, or in the library. And as much as I adore Yates and it has come to hold a special place in my heart, I would definitely not mind Gtown upgrading the workout facilities. Georgetown's location is pretty much perfect. We're in the middle of a beautiful and quaint neighborhood in a robust city, but also have a gorgeous and quiet campus that helps us feel a bit more isolated. It's the perfect mix of campus and city life. There's a story I like to tell people that paints a pretty good picture about school pride at Georgetown. I have an older brother that graduated from Emerson College. He was one of (I think) 15 or so paid tour guides. At Georgetown, the application and interview process for Blue & Grey is pretty rigorous - I think there's about a 25% acceptance rate (last semester alone there were over 110 applicants). On top of that, we're all volunteers. I think there are currently about 100 active guides dispersed amongst all four years who all love our school so much we are willing to wake up at ungodly hours (ok...so only 10am) on Saturday mornings to brag about our school to prospective students and parents. That's a lot of love... More along the lines of school spirit...the experience that I'll never forget has to do with last year's basketball season, when the Hoyas defeated North Carolina to advance to the final four for the first time in about 20 years. As soon as the buzzer rang my friends and I ran out of Copley Hall (where we also saw hoards of students emerging from wherever they were watching the game) and went down to N St between 37th and 36th. It was there that probably about 1000 students dominated the streets and started chanting our fight song as well as many other battle cries. Just when I thought everyone had had enough the crowd started to break into a spring after a distant voice cried out "TO THE WHITE HOUSE!" About 15 minutes later...after running wildly through M Street, Wisconsin Ave, and Pennsylvania Ave (high fiving stopped drivers and screaming Go Hoyas at every passerby) about 400 give or take a few Hoyas ended up outside of the gates of the White House...ah...incredible :) I'd say definitely the most frequent student complain is about the food. Leo's is notorious for the same old soggy stuff. But it's undergoing some serious renovations and is apparently really making a turnaround - again something I can't be too up to date about because I haven't eaten there in some months.

Georgetown is a school of 6,000 undergraduates. Thanks to the four school structure (School of Foreign Service, Business School, Nursing School and the College), students get to know their peers who are in the same program. Walking across campus, I might recognize 10 out of 40 people I pass, and stop and talk to three. Often, when I tell people I go to Georgetown they are impressed with the name, and I find myself in a somewhat awkward conversation about the application process. Washington, D.C. is a great city, both for studying, with great resources such as the Library of Congress, and for culture, with the Smithsonian museums and the Kennedy Center. There are lots of fun neighborhoods with endless restaurants and bars, although as a student I don't eat out often. Three things I would change: 1) I would eliminate the requirement that freshmen and sophomores have a meal plan. We have one dining hall, Leo J. O'Donovan's, fondly dubbed "Leo's." Although the dining hall does not have bad food, it's not great, and the all-you-can-eat set up makes gaining the "freshman 15" an easy trap. In fact, almost all my friends did gain the freshman 15, on "Leo's chocolate chip cookies" and "fro-yo." I don't have a meal plan this year, and I don't miss it at all. I have a much healthier life style, and I save a lot of money! 2) It would be nice to have a closer grocery store. There is a student store on campus, run by "The Corp." They stock the basic necessities, like soda, chips, pasta, sandwiches and milk. The closest supermarket to campus is Dean and Deluca, a gourmet food shop on M Street. You might treat yourself to a sushi lunch out there, or a two dollar tomato if you're feeling fancy, but for daily food shopping, it's necessary to go father afield, either to Trader Jo's, Safeway or Whole Foods, each about twenty minute walks from campus. 3) I would make birth control available on Georgetown campus. Currently, it is impossible to buy any form of birth control on campus, including condoms and the day after pill-- and the student health services cannot prescribe it. This is supposedly because of Georgetown's status as a Jesuit institution. Students can get condoms from H*ya's For Choice (not allowed to use an "o" in "Hoya's" because of the group's controversy with the Jesuit heritage) or from CVS, a ten minute walk from campus. The biggest recent controversy on campus may have been violence directed at gay students. The administration has responded with new support for LGBT groups, numerous emails, etc.

Best thing about Georgetown is the international scope - the value of going to school alongside smart kids from all over the the nation, and the world cannot be emphasized enough. I'd change the University's position toward fraternities. As a member of AKPsi, the professional business fraternity on campus, I am thrilled with the opportunities provided by, and the potential for, the frat, but I wish our chapter was not a mere 3 years old and supported more. School size is perfect - see your friends often, but always new people and new faces wherever you go. People react generally positively. It's recognized as a premier university in the country, but it's a friendly institution. The basketball team makes it accessible to sports fans, and the breakdown of 4 schools (business, foreign service, nursing, and college) means it has something in common, or if interest, with virtually everyone. The Jesuit identity is often remembered as well. I spend most of my time in my dorm now, just because I now do my work there since winter's frozen the path to the library. However, I'm out of my room most of the day, between classes, clubs, working out, intramural games, frat meetings, and parties. College town. Between M Street, Wisconsin, DC, and Rosslyn, there's not much more you could ask for in a college town. The administration seems to be there when you need, otherwise it just lets the University run itself. They're an accomplished bunch, from my understanding. Most recent issue had been a few homophobic incidents (they've been labeled 'hate crimes' but the facts were never clear). Those have been resolved since last semester, and the University takes any and all such problems very seriously and actively looks to eradicate any intolerance or threats on campus. School pride on campus could not be stronger. We love our University, our Hoyas, and we're proud to show it. HOYA SAXA, baby. The most unusual aspect to Georgetown is the extraordinary diversity of the University. You have members of the student body AND faculty from every conceivable walk of life, it's one of the single most valuable intangible assets of Georgetown. Most frequent student complaints are housing (we all want apartments), Leo's (we always want better food - it's not terrible though), and the price of things (it's just an expensive experience, but being a spendthrift in no way limits your time on the Hilltop).

Georgetown is wonderful in a lot of ways. As a relatively small, private university, it can offer its students personalized attention and services that may be hard to find in a larger university. These include personal relationships with faculty members, small class sizes, career-education services, counseling and other support groups geared to individualized concerns, etc. Georgetown students also benefit tremendously from the campus location in Washington, DC. The actual town of Georgetown offers a smaller, more manageable space for students within the larger urban context. The town of Georgetown comes to feel like an extended campus and students find themselves right at home outside the campus gates. Additionally, Georgetown's close proximity to Capital Hill and the White House not only offers fantastic career opportunities, which many students take advantage of, but also brings influential speakers to campus (the list includes President Obama, Hillary Clinton, and fellow Hoya Bradley Cooper). Student complaints about Georgetown typically critique the social dynamics on campus. There is a small greek presence, but these fraternities and sororities are not recognized by the University and can easily be ignored if one so chooses. Consequently, Georgetown relies a lot upon other student groups to organize social interactions. One such group is The Corp, an entirely student-run organization (the largest in the nation) that operates many food and service businesses on campus. Some students feel animosity toward The Corp, typically describing it as exclusive and all-consuming of its members (it has even been referred to as "The Cult"). The Corp is, however, the largest student group on campus and "Corpies" typically love their experience. Another major social critique here at Georgetown is of the dominant "hook-up culture". Serious relationships are not common and an invitation to go on the stereotypical dinner-date is very rare and taken seriously. The norm is rather the casual hook-up, something people usually tire of by junior year. This notion of the "hook-up culture" is so prevalent that not only does every student know the term, but so do many professors. Georgetown, obviously, is not perfect, but does offer both strong academics and a strong social scene. Each person's experience is a little different, but all the students I know are proud to be Hoyas.

The Georgetown only helps in terms of jobs and internships because of its reputation. The location is great because it provides so many opportunities no matter what a student is interested in. I do wish that they had a Chicano/Hispanic Studies Major and had a diversity requirement for students along with the other core requirements. It's a shame how ignorant some students really are when they arrive at Georgetown. I do not necessarily blame them but I do think that for a school who prides itself on diversity, they should make it a requirement. Students are very goal driven. Students join every organization possible, volunteer all the time, and intern/ work almost every semester on top of taking a full course load (5 or more classes) to add as much as they can to their resume rather than just because they want or love to. People are so stressed, it's scary sometimes. Georgetown definitely does seem to have a larger workload than other prestigious universities which I believe contributes to the stress on campus. I think there is school pride around basketball season but it seems like the alumni have much more school pride than the undergrads. Some students are also bitter about not getting into their first choice ivy so they show more pride for certain ivies than they do for gtown. I think georgetown should also update some of their facilities. For how well some of the sports teams do, they certainly do not have great athletic facilities. The students also complain about the dining hall but I think it's dumb because they are just being ungrateful spoiled people who do not appreciate how hard the people at the dining hall work to please the student body.

Georgetown is an incredible school to attend. The classes are generally very good, the facilities are fine. The city is INCREDIBLE, and the university offers students many opportunities that you can't get anywhere else. No school rivals Georgetown in terms of the high-profile speaker who come to campus, and usually students get meaningful interaction with them beyond just sitting and listening to speeches. For those who seek them out, there are lots of ways to get involved in everything from Wall Street, to government work (the DoD and State Dept), to human rights work (STAND was founded here, and many students are involved in charity and development stuff), education (TFA is the largest undergraduate recruiter), entrepreneurship, undergraduate research, et cetera. I've had the time of my life at Georgetown. Far and away the best thing about it is its student body -- which is full of incredibly smart people. Although Georgetown's endowment is only Top 100 and it is only ranked Top 25, in terms of academic competitiveness it is Top 10. Georgetown's focus on the Jesuit "education of the whole person" and "cura personalis" creates students who care passionately about the rest of the world and make lifelong commitments to succeed in socially meaningful ways. After its student body, Georgetown's greatest asset is undoubtedly its location. Being in DC gives us access to everything from great speakers to great internships, to being in the sidelines in DC scandals, Hollywood filming, inaugurations, et cetera. The fact that we're the most prestigious school in DC also undoubtedly contributes to our ability to get an incredible student body.

The best things about Georgetown are its location. The campus is relatively small and manageable, with beautiful old buildings and a nice front lawn. The town of Georgetown is great, with lots of shopping and restaurants and bars, and the city is not too far away. Its kind of the best of both worlds because you get a real college campus feel, but you have all the benefits of a large city close by. As far as the administration goes, there are a lot of great professors but I felt the advising to be really sub-par. I had the impression that college was a time to discover what you want to do with your life, but for a lot of majors, you really have to get started early, in freshman year. Also, students don't have academic advisers until they declare a major, but it would be helpful to have someone advising you on what major to choose. Campus life is enjoyable. There is a pretty good social night life, and there are always interesting cultural events going on around campus. Students are very active in social justice issues, and lots of people get very involved in their causes. Basketball season is a lot of fun too. The worst thing about the school, in my opinion, is the lack of sexual health resources. Because of Georgetown's Catholic identity, you cannot be prescribed birth control at the Health Center, and they don't even carry it at Georgetown Hospital's pharmacy. The Pregnancy Center doesn't provide all the resources and information that it could, and condoms aren't available anywhere near campus. It is a Catholic issue, but

Georgetown is the best. I have had such a great experience here so far and I wish I never had to leave. It's obviously much smaller than state schools, but it makes it easy to get to know a lot of people both in your own grade as well as those in other grades. Walking around campus you're bound to see people that you know, which is actually really nice, but it's big enough that there's always new people to meet. The bars on M Street and in DC in general are so much fun. If you frequent them enough, you'll probably end up making friends with the bouncers and bartenders. Georgetown itself is a great place to live in for four years of your life and there's always fun and exciting things to go to and see in DC. You can go for a run to the monuments or the White House or the Capitol or wherever you want. Just make sure that you remember that you're still in a city so you need to be careful. There is a lot of crime in DC so just keep that in mind. Neighbors in Georgetown can be annoying because they don't like college students having parties and making loud noises so that's a definite problem. It sucks and means that parties have to end on the early side, but everyone goes to the bars by 12:30am or 1am so it's not that bad. The basketball games are a ton of fun to attend so make sure to buy season tickets. Like at any college, you can have as much school pride as you want and you can make the most of what you're given. Georgetown is awesome, but it's up to you participate and have fun.

I feel like I should start by saying I LOVE Georgetown. I love everything about my school (though the winters may be a little rough for a Texas native like me). The classes are taught by some of the brightest and most accomplished professors in the field. Despite the many accolades our professors often have, they are usually very accessible and always willing to help. CMEA (the Center for Multicultural Equity and Access) have immensely helped my transition from a very poor public school to an elite university. The support system (along with our basketball team) is amazing. Despite all of these things, the best part is by far the people. Georgetown is the perfect size campus. Large enough so you don't know everybody, but small enough so you always recognize a familiar face. There is a community for everyone. Aside from the actual campus, D.C. is an amazing college town. In Texas, I used to go for runs near cotton fields, but here I go for runs by the white house and the monuments. Basketball (both men's and women's) is huge on campus. My most memorable Georgetown experience involved trekking through a blizzard (more affectionately known as Snowpocalyse or Snowmaggedon) to watch Georgetown beat Duke. The blizzard shut down the streets of D.C., so on the way back from the game, hundreds of the Georgetown faithful crossed Key Bridge while singing the fight song.

Georgetown University is a truly unique university. It offers something for everyone...and if what you're passtionate about is not found on campus, you can simply start a group or event yourself! The size of the school is idea.. not too big and not too small... just enough that you can get to know your classmates and professors on a first-name basis and there is no overcrowding. Georgetown does have plenty of school pride. I believe this originates from the uniqueness of the school. The university is located in the heart of Washington, DC on the shores of the Potomac River. It offers students the opportunity to become a part of the greater DC area, which exposes them to internships, alumni, netowrking events, etc. It also is historically a Catholic university. While all religions are represented on campus and students can be as involved or uninvolved with the religious aspects of Georgetown as they please, I believe the underlying goals and message of the university stem from the Jesuit heritage, including encouraging service to others and educating the entire person. One experience I will always remember is surviving Snowmageddon after the winter snowstorm of 2010. Classes were cancelled for 4 days, but everyone turned out to the basketball game! Hoya Saxa!