Grove City College

« See more reviews of Grove City College

What do you think you?re doing? How could I have been so stupid? You are about to make mistakes you are really going to regret. I know that you think it?s all pointless but you are wrong. I stay up at night wishing that I had some chance to go to a University and follow my dream as a Computer Animator, but we didn't even have that goal yet. I want you to learn from your mistakes and listen to people and what they are telling you. I know in that thick skull you think you?re just, but you?re not. Not even focused on college yet. If only you could have lit that spark years earlier. Now all I want to do is to go to school. Become my dream as a Computer Animator. You didn't get scholarships during senior year so you lost a whole year because of it. Do better, exceed everyone?s expectations. Soar high until you touch the stars, because that is where you want to be. You want to be on top of the world, not to own it but to help it and dazzle everyone in it.

I would tell myself not to worry as much as I did about the college application process and the adjustment from high school to college. I was very stressed that I would not recieve admission to the schools that I wished to attend and that it would be hard for me to make friends and adjust to the college level. Grove City helped me with my transition into college and made it very easy for me to make friends and learn the tips and tricks of college life. I would also try to cure myself of "senioritis," as I will admit to catching it late in my senior year. I did not let my grades slip, but I did not work as hard or take my work as seriously as I had in the past, which made it hard to start working again once I began college. If I were able to do this, I believe that it would greatly help me and make my senior year of high school much better. Much of it was spent worrying about how college life would be different, and how it would affect me.

Parents and students should consider the reputation, location and character of the school. They need to ensure that the college fits their academic and social expectations, and that they can afford to attend there. Once students are at school they should become active members of the campus community, while balancing their school work. It is important to get involved in campus life by volunteering and joining campus groups, because this allows one to meet people as well as contribute to the community. However, it's important to maintain good grades, because graduating is an important aspect of the college experience, after all. Students should accept that they probably are not going to get A's in all their classes, and realize that as long as they are giving school their best effort it's alright to not graduate at the top of their class. Work hard. Play hard. Have fun! These are the best years of your life.

Each student is different; therefore, not every college is a good fit for everyone. When selecting a college, make sure you take the following questions into account. What is the program like in the degree I am interested in pursuing? Do the professors offer one on one time with their students? In labs and other workshops, is the professor present, or is it run by a teaching assistant? What is the social environment like? Do the students enjoy the same activities I do? What is the religious life on campus like? How well known is my college, and is it likely that I could easily get a job upon graduation? What does the campus look like? These are all important questions to ask to see if a school is right for you. Selecting a college is an important decision, and it is important that you enjoy the school that you chose, since you will most likely be spending about four years there.

Don't take everything at face value--dive into the exploration process and discover things for yourself! Visit schools you're interested in, talk to current students and professors, and learn about the campus and campus life. Most importantly, keep an open mind--that school that may be your last pick today could end up being the very place you spend the next four years of your life! College is a time of self-discovery--it's a time to find out who you are, what you believe, and what you want to do with the rest of your life. You're going to meet friends who will be with you for a lifetime. You're going to learn life skills that you'll carry with you forever. Who knows--you may even meet your future spouse! Keep an open mind about your options, try things out for yourself, and find a school that's going to challenge you and allow you to grow in every area of life, not just academically.

There are several suggestions that I would offer anyone going through the college experience. The first suggestion is do your homework on the university or college. Discover what the university or college is committed to providing. This involves reading articles written about the college or university, in particular outside sources (sources not from the actual university or college itself). Next, take a tour of the college. This is the best way to determine the actual atmosphere of the college. The only way to really know the campus is to be on campus. I would recommend sitting in a class or talking to a professor at the college. Finally, talk with an admissions advisor. Ask them for an interview (if they offer such a thing) or otherwise ask for the best approach to get into the college of your choice. This is my advice for anyone going through the college experience.

College is a pivotal time for students. With that in mind, students and parents should invest time in finding the right fit. College is not always about academics; many times, students form lifelong friendships. Academics are another aspect that plays a deciding factor in a student's decision. Many colleges try to impress you with flashy advertising, but one has to visit the campus and talk with students and faculty in order to gain a true feel as to what the college is really about. Religious colleges are sometimes the only type of schools that some students look into. As a result, many students lose the opportunity to see other colleges that could offer much more in terms of academic opportunities. At times though, it is better to choose something that appears less advantageous than a college that has better facilities but does not fit one's other needs.

See yourself as a member of a generation, and your generation as a member of humanity. Why is this important as a college student? College allows you to see the world without needing to travel, meet and interact with men and women of the past through their ideas, and learn about yourself, your culture, your past and the legacy you will leave one day. College is a springboard both to the future and also to the past. Do not forget to use your eyes to look ahead to the future and the opportunities that surround you on and off campus. Do not forget to use your eyes to look next to you, through seeking community and support: you cannot do this journey alone. Finally, do not forget to use your eyes to look behind to generations that have come and gone, but leave a pathway, footprints and beautiful testimonies and lessons to learn from. Look around. Don't forget.

Since attending Grove City College, I have grown into a more mature and complete person. From the challenging educational requirements, I attained a thorough understanding of my vocational pursuit and have learned to work hard to achive success. Engaging with different people from different backgrounds has expanded my understanding of human beings. Living away from home and being forced to cope with a degree of stress has increased my understanding of what it means to be an adult living independently of my parents. College is a time for the student to grow into an adult who is capable of providing for himself and a family. To be a provider, the student must have a vocation, the ability to interact with other people, and the maturity to manage stress. Attending Grove City College has been a crucial part of becoming an adult.

The best option for finding out what a college or university is really like is to do an overnight visit without your parents. This is the best way to find out what dorm life is really like on that campus and what current students do for social activities, how much and where they study, and other aspects of life on campus. Spending some time on campus will help you to find out if it really is the right school. Brochures and tour guides aren't going to give the most accurate account of social life, dorm life, political atmosphere, or academic focus. The way to find out the true nature of the college and its student body is to invest time in an overnight visit being hosted by current students. Once you've spent that time doing what students at that college do, you'll know if it's the right school for you.