Grove City College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Grove City College

Anna

Grove City College is a fantastic college that is centered around Christ, with great academic and extracurricular opportunities. Any college will have its flaws, as does Grove City, but I am beyond proud of my school, all that it is and all that it strives to be.

Emmy

I love the small, safe Christian environment. The college provides great academics and lots of opportunities. There are wonderful free counseling services and caring faculty. The only fault is that it can be a little sheltered as a largely homogeneous Christian school.

Naomi

Grove City College is like pistachio ice cream--it’s for those who are either predisposed to it or willing to acquire the taste. But for a student who’s a good match, it’s an excellent institution. Upsides: Grove City is academically rigorous and challenging. The professors are knowledgeable, kind, and available, the student body is tight-knit. Grove City students (or “Grovers”) are generally enjoyers of intellectual conversation and activities, but club and intramural sports are also popular on campus. Downsides to the school include a lack of ethnic and political diversity. However, both professors and the student body at large are respectful and willing to listen, making it a good--not perfect--place to grow not just academically.

Meghan

My experience here so far has been a mixed bag, however I think I will be transferring out of this school. I don't want you to get the wrong idea, this is a good school with good people. But it is not for everyone. I came here from a large public school (that I absolutely loved) hoping the small school vibe would make it feel as much like home as my high school had. And it's true, you see the same people around and the small campus does feel home-y. But if you are used to going out and doing fun things with your friends, this place feels a little isolated because it's in the middle of nowhere. I can't go out the way I used to. But, hanging out in your friend's dorm rooms is always fun, so if that's all you need to be happy with the occassional weekend trip then you will be fine. Also I never drank in high school but if you even want to have a little bit of party fun, you have to make the drive to Slippery Rock, which is not an uncommon thing for people to do. So, that's okay. But, if you are a more liberal minded, socially accepting person, coming to this school can be a bit of a struggle. I have sat in my classes so frustrated because we are being told that "gay is a sin" over and over again. IN MY PSYCHOLOGY CLASSES. Literally not even the mandatory bible classes you have to take. It makes me so sad because Christians are supposed to be forgiving and accepting, but homosexuality is treated as if it's the worst sin in the world on this campus. I'm sorry I just don't think that's how it should be. A bit of an aside but I just have to say this: God loves and forgives everyone/and everyone is equally sinful. Gay people are no worse than you or anyone else. They are human beings, people. But, they are still discriminated against on this campus. Not by everyone, but by most. If you can't handle that, being at this school will be a challenge for you. To end on a positive, many people are very nice and I can understand why this is an ideal college for many people. It's just not for everyone.

Karlee

Grove City College is an authentic Christian, academically-focused, student-focused, caring institution. The size and atmosphere of the college really creates this unique sense of community. No matter what kind of personality, interest, or background you come from, you can truly find your place here, and people see past differences to find similarities and truly bond with/ care for each other. Professors are amazing! They are extremely intelligent and highly renowned, often nationally recognized. All professors that I have had care to get to know each student individually and make time to talk with students about school or life. Any time I was confused, they were always available. Also, I was surprised to find that although the college seemed like it may not have all the opportunities of a larger school, they have almost everything to offer in terms of extra-curricular activities (ex. dance program, martial arts, fencing, video games, studio art, theater, student musical performances, professional concerts, dances, Intramural sports, volunteer groups, ministry groups, etc). Also, the career services office is nationally ranked, top 20 in the country, and from personal experience, they go above and beyond to help each student find internships and jobs and prepare resumes and interview skills. There is plenty available to students interested in getting involved in ministry or being ministered to as well, but it is not forced on the student. Everything about this college is going above and beyond for the students. I have been here for one year and I am still impressed and so happy with my decision!

Sara

Grove City College is a conservative Christian institution that prides itself on toting "authentic Christianity" and tends to call itself "Freedom's College." I find these statements to be true as long as your brand of Christianity is their brand and your freedom aligns with what they've decided you are free to do. Intervisitation rules (when boys and girls are allowed in each other's dorms) are ridiculous and frankly insulting to the student who is expected to behave as a beacon of Christian living and maturity but cannot be trusted to be in a closed room with a member of the opposite sex. LGBT students are ignored or outright discriminated against by students and some faculty although there is a healthy number of affirming professors. The academics are rigorous and every class is taught as though it will have a direct effect on your career success. This has been helpful in directing future grad school decisions and the professors are largely helpful and available to any student in need. My overall experience at GCC has been positive because I have found my friend group and a large support system as a queer Christian student. I have several professors whom I would call my friends. I can take a walk around campus at any time of day or night and feel absolutely no danger or unease. The students are generally just downright nice. I have given the college four stars because despite my wonderful time spent here, I am saddened by the college's determination to live ten years behind the rest of the world.

Grove City College was the perfect choice for me to continue my studies. While it is a small campus home to a little over 2,000 students, I find that it creates a very close-knit community and creates many more opportunities to seek help from professors. The housing for girls is very clean and spacious, and the bathrooms are cleaned weekly and there are always plenty of showers accessible to the girls living on the halls. The food could use some variety at times, but I would say that it is generally good. The dining staff accommodates to all food allergies and needs. All campus facilities are clean and air conditioned, many buildings which were recently built in the last decade. The campus offers a multitude of extracurricular activities including varsity spots, IM sports, clubs, committees, arts, and Greek life. Grove City College is located in a small town, where everything is in walking distance. However, if you want to take a trip to the Grove City Outlets for more shopping and dining options, it is only a five minute drive up the road. The academics at Grove City are demanding, but the professors are more than willing to help and after all, you are dropping thousands of dollars into college just to get a mediocre education, Grove City College ensures that you get the best education your money can buy.

Grove City College is an outstanding college compared to most. The students and staff are kind and care about one another. The rigorous academics will force you to learn, but hurt your GPA immensely. An A in high school is a failing grade here. My only concern is that due to Grove City's name being rather small, chances of finding a job may lower when they see a low GPA on your resume. This is unfortunate because you may know the material better than your opposition, but because of Grove City's painfully difficult academics, if will not appear this way to your potential employer.

Cheyenne

Grove City College is not my favorite school and I would not be the first to recommend it. It is a small conservative Christian school where everyone knows everyone. It is not the best school for an outsider, especially one from a minority race. It is very cliquish and not very friendly towards people who are not like them. I believe the "conservatism" of GCC is more of what makes their "family" cohesive, rather than genuine Christian love and friendship.

Grove City College has, since its founding, been dedicated to a rigorous Christian education. The Christian ideals play out in the classroom, on the field, and permeates the entire campus. While it is a small college, students are very friendly and work hard. The class work is a heavy load, especially for the STEM majors, but this is meant to help build the student and prepare them for a fulfilling career beyond college. Students collaborate very well and help each other learn and grow during their time at Grove City College. The professors are supportive and are here to teach and to get to know the students; it is very common to babysit for teachers, get meals with them, or be invited to their house for a meal. The close-knit community of the campus promotes personal accountability and growth. The social life is centered around the academics and extracurricular activities and clubs. There is a large participation in intramural or club sports, or students get together with friends and do something active. The campus as a whole is an active group. While Grove City College does not have the well-known status of larger universities, the college does a very thorough job of transforming young adults into successful individuals. Students are very prepared for graduate school or professional careers. The liberal arts aspect of the education is not taken lightly like at many other secondary institutions. There is a core curriculum that every students, regardless of major, must complete. This serves to not just teach the students, but to teach them how to think analytically, evaluate logically, and write well. This is a college for determined individuals to be challenged in classwork and beyond. Most students were valedictorians or salutatorians, and have been extremely involved in their communities. This carries over to college in their work ethic and dedication to more than just classwork. My overall opinion of Grove City College is that it is a very dedicated institution of higher learning and comes at an affordable cost.

Marc

Grove City College is very focused on providing an excellent education to students while maintaining its high standards that help students uphold Christian values and live safely. The vast majority of classes are well-organized and taught by professors who know the material they teach thoroughly and enjoy helping students learn. The college's other events are usually of equal quality to the classes, and throughout those events, the college succeeds in creating a friendly atmosphere.

Monica

The academics are great. Classes are rigorous -- you can't really skate by with minimum effort. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved in the community and give back to the school and surrounding community. The campus is beautiful and quiet. Most of the students were nerds in high school and actually spend their time studying. The potential down sides are that it is a dry campus and there are no co-ed dorms, although there is visitation, there are designated hours for going into dorms of the opposite sex.

Natalie

The campus is beautiful and the academics are extremely rigorous. There are a lot of positives about the school though I will never send my children here. Why? Because a core teaching / underlying belief of the core curriculum is that all Christians are politically Republican, true Christians think Republican, and to listen to or entertain any other point of view is inherently evil or at least dangerous. This sounds extreme but really is the belief of so many people h ere. I am a Christian and want my children to grow up to be encouraged to explore and form their own beliefs and to know that the Bible does not say that a Christ follower must vote for any particular party.

Daniel

It's an amazing, wonderful place, with a superior academic environment , but also kind and generous staff and students. I never fail to hear the college and it's employees praised from alumni, students, and professors from other colleges. It's a magnificent place to be.

Alyssa

Grove City College was a fine institution to attend. The staff prepared me for the outside world and cared about my overall health and wellness. I am proud of the college that I attended and proud to have it a part of my resume. Not only was the education side incredible, some of my closest friends today are friends that I met while attending. It grew my faith, my fellowship, and my field of work!

Joseph

I just started here as freshman and so far its been great. Everything is awesome right now including classes, baseball, and extracurricular activities. Grove City College has surprisingly exceeded my expectations so far and I am being serious! I have had no trouble getting things done and there really isn't anything to complain about. I am blessed to be able to go here.

zachary

I transferred into grove city this spring semester, and have loved it so far. It is a very good school that challenges its students academically and makes the, think hard about their answers not just go through the motions. They offer many intramural sports for students to get involved in and Greek life is also another big opportunity that a majority of the students get involved in one way or another.

Caroline

Grove City College is a phenomenal value. Not only is it cheaper compared to many private Christian institutions, as well as many state schools, it also gives you a standout education. The professors are all experts in their fields and incredibly welcoming and interested in getting to know you and help you. The students are also incredible. They are a passionate group of motivated & intelligent people of upright, Godly character. Campus is beautiful and facilities are fabulous. I adore it utterly.

Molly

I think Grove City’s education is catered to incredibly self-motivated students. It’s where people who want to learn and seem to have it ‘together’ thrive. The academics are rigorous and stimulating, and leave no room for slack. The faculty is amazingly talented and supportive, yet expect the best from all students.

While it isn't what I originally thought it would be, the Christian atmosphere is definitely here. While it is true that most people do care about serving God and finding his calling for your life, there are a few who are quite the opposite. There is a very wide diversity of denominations that I didn't think could ever exist. Your faith will certainly be tested for what it truly is.

Luke

Grove City College provides a Christian atmosphere in which students can thrive academically. It is filled with wise and caring faculty and staff who are willing to assist students as much as possible. The students are industrious and hard-working, striving to excel in their chosen fields of study.

Eddie

It is a great school to come and learn, they have a huge focus on academics. The rules are strict but are well thought out so there is very little messing around. The quality of the academics is very high. The professors really care about their students and are very involved. The sense of campus community is amazing, you feel cared for and like there are always people you can lean on. I love it here.

I wouldn’t go anywhere else! This is a wonderful example of Christian community. Fellowship, mentorship, and trusting in God are all top priorities. When studying outside of class there are many opportunities to get help with anything you need at career services!

M

Fantastic academics. Beautiful campus. That's about all I can say positive about the school from my experience. Be sure you know what you're getting into. You're gonna be trapped in a bubble for 4 years with little no no freedom. The surrounding area doesn't have much to offer at all. I was always a very independent person. When I left high school and went to Grove City I felt like I took a step backwards in the way that I was treated by my superiors. You're treated like a child, with little freedom to make your own life decisions. You're forced to live on campus for your entire time in school, in a very overbearing and frankly almost fascist environment. When I was there, you literally had curfews to be back in the dormitory. This is all ironic considering Grove City College fashions itself "freedom's college." Very Christian - required chapel attendance. If you come from an independent background, didn't grow up in a bubble, and/or weren't home schooled, you'll feel like you just got thrown into a group of students who have an average maturity level about 5 years below you. Many people won't agree with this review, this was just my experience. I got through it, I survived and have a great, truly academically rigorous degree to show for it, but I did not enjoy my time there and practically kissed the ground outside of Grove City when I graduated. When it comes to employment after school - be aware Grove City does NOT participate in the grade inflation that seems rampant in most higher education. Most degrees, particularly STEM, you're gonna have to really work hard for a solid GPA. That being said, employers that know GCC will be eager to hire you regardless of your GPA. Employers that don't know GCC, you'll be up against people who went to XYZ state school, drank 6 nights a week, maybe cracked a textbook a couple times, and have 4.33 GPA. Good luck.

Caleb

Love it and I can't wait to begin classes.

Heather

Grove City College is a great place to develop lifelong relationships and gain a great education! Coaches, advisors, and professors are all great at working with their students to pursue excellence. The Christian community also provides a great atmosphere for personal reflection and growth. I am so glad I chose to attend Grove City College!

Laura

Grove City College is an excellent academic institution. The "rigorous academics" it's known for truly do prepare its students to immediately enter careers or graduate schools. The availability and character of the professors on campus is unmatched. However, the most important point of differentiation at Grove City is the community atmosphere. The students, faculty, and staff are what truly make this campus uniquely loving and motivating.

My opinion of Grove City College is as follows: The campus is filled with the kind of atmosphere that many people would desire for their children. It contains loving friends, who will support them as they walk this new journey. There are a number of activities accessible to them, to suit almost any personality type. And above all else, the professors are incredible. They are top of the line and present the material in such a way that is both educational and informative. This is one hundred percent the kind of college you would want your son or daughter to attend. The campus isn't perfect, but I will always recommend Grove City College as an institute of learning.

Jacob

Grove City College is an overall great college with a fantastic community and top-notch academics. The classes are challenging, but most of the professors are interesting and easy to talk to. There is plenty to do on campus, and I rarely find myself bored. The campus is beautiful and very easy to navigate. The dorms are pretty standard. Nothing about them sticks out, but they serve their purpose. I would say the food is generally mediocre, but that is the worst thing I can say about the school as a whole. The time I have spent at Grove City College has been the craziest, most challenging, most exciting, and best months of my life.

Joanna

Grove City College is a small private school located in the suburbs of Pennsylvania. The college creates its unique safe environment by being situated near the small town of Grove City. One must simply walk over a rainbow bridge to reach the town where the street is lined with homie and artistic shops and diners. Within the college, students have many opportunities to join different clubs and organizations ranging from Greek life to dance groups to sports. The campus offers many ways to help students find their niche. Students feel the freedom to study and work together while enjoying their time. There are many comfortable lounges available for use and people often form their own clubs and meetings. Within the classroom, students are given a rigorous academic program with professors that take the time to get to know them. Only on this campus, students and professors grow long lasting friendships. Professors are very approachable both in the classroom and in office hours. Overall this campus is very safe and encourages students to work hard and enjoy their time. It offers many ways for each student to find what they are looking for.

It has provided an environment that encourages students to flourish academically, spiritually, and socially. It also offers stellar assistance at a rate that is hard to beat for a private Christian college. It provides resources and opportunities that allow its students to prosper outside of campus walls and better establish them in the world post graduation.

Matthew

GCC is a fantastic school with lots of opportunities allowing students to grow in their academic prowess and in their faith as well. Academics are rigorous and really teach students how to responsibly manage their time and stress while gaining tons of knowledge on various topics. I've found numerous interesting conversations and lessons in and out of the classroom and will remember them even after I graduate. Sports (varsity and intramural) are also very big on campus and allow for a number of phenomenal experiences as well. Although there are a few problems here and there when it comes to housing arrangements and food, they're very minor in the grand scheme of things.