Hamilton College

« See more reviews of Hamilton College

Yea, I think a lot of them are true. The light side is definitely far too preppy(almost to the point that I completely avoid going there) and there are a lot of rich WASPs here. The partying is ridiculous at times but I think Hamilton's current policies of just trying to keep everyone safe instead of trying to prevent inevitable underage drinking at college does a great job. Lack of diversity is an issue, but I don't feel like my education is suffering unless they fix it.

I think the fact that you hear both the liberal and conservative stereotypes is evidence that Hamilton does a good job of balancing the different sides of the political spectrum. I think Hamilton has diversity but groups of similar races or backgrounds tend to group together and therefore students to experience a lot of diversity in their informal interactions. All schools drink a lot. And yes Hamilton is very academically challenges

The stereotype is somewhat accurate. You will definitely get kids who are really preppy and shop exclusively at J Crew, but that is not true of everyone. I don't think there is one typical Hamilton student; there is a huge variety of interests, backgrounds, and personalities.

Though some people here represent these stereotypes, Hamilton admissions does a really good job at trying to diversify the Hamilton community, even though the school is quite small, I think there are a lot of different types of people here.

While the school definitely has the aforementioned type of person, there is also a large group of artsy students. The school is also in the middle of a diversification campaign that is bringing new and interesting students to the campus.

Mostly bull, there is a fair amount of prep, but its a small minority thats super prep. There is alot of diversity in the student body, especially with the Darkside of Campus. Oh and multi-cultural recruitment is increasing every year.

With the exception of north-eastern, not really. Hamilton works hard to ensure that the community is as representative (as a school of 1780 can be) of the wider world social, ethnically, and economically.

There is a large amount of white, middle-upper class, preppy students from the North East, but I have had no problem finding interesting, intelligent, genuine people at Hamilton.

There are plenty of people here who are neither preppy nor rich, though pretty much everyone is short. In fact, the diversity of students' ideologies is quite imporessive.

Yes, I am from the HEOP program, and it seems like the only minorities on campus are almost all from the HEOP or Possy organizations. Not much diversity..