Hamilton College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Hamilton College

M

Hamilton is a real small school in a real small village that most students have very little contact with. Because of that people tend to know everyone even if its just on sight. There is usually something going on and a group for everyone. The coolest thing is that most of these groups overlap, like theatre can be your life but you can also be in the frattiest frat on campus.

Mian

The U.S. has an obsession with colleges. Every detail is important, from the waffles served on Sunday mornings to the number of treadmills. On tours I could hardly differentiate between the small liberal arts colleges I was touring for how similar they were. I ended up in Hamilton because it was the most academically rigorous school I was accepted to, and the class sizes were small. Now that I am here, I most appreciate the intense focus on writing. But all these things, from waffles to writing, I am beginning to feel are only secondary to who I myself am. The “college experience” is really not the college, but the student. The campus is just an environment, and not the real agent of growth in a person. I have changed, undoubtedly, but for different reasons. Interacting with people in college is wholly different from high school; you may start living with roommates, and whether you like it or not you must establish who you are to a wholly new set of people. Thinking of the end of the next four short years has also pressured me to become more proactive, whether it be doing extra credit in class or talking to teachers outside of class, and making the most of my guaranteed remaining time in a school. Most importantly, there is a new level of emotional investment that comes with my parents paying such a huge sum; I want to make it worth it for them as well as myself, and I am reminded everyday the give and take between the services I am given in college and the money that is coming out of my parents’ hard-earned bank savings. Knowing this investment from my parents has made me grow up in ways I did not imagine before college. And all these things would have happened at any college: new people, the urgency of having to figure out my life in four years, the enormous price. What matters most in college is not which one you choose, but the attitude you go in with. So don’t stress over which college you go to. Your college is not your identity, and the growth you’ll experience as a person is not correlated with the ranking of your college. You will find intelligent conversation anywhere, avoid sports or Greek Life if you choose, and though I assume Hamilton must have parties and drugs, I simply do not know because my type of person so naturally excludes herself from that type of culture, just like how I naturally gravitate towards anyone discussing politics or history. In college you are allowed to delve so deep into what you’re interested in, it is hard to stereotype how the entire school operates. Hamilton is a good school, and I am doing well, but those things are not as inextricably linked as many believe, because it is up to you to shape your college experience.

Deasia

The worst thing about Hamilton would have to be the food. It's either a hit or miss. One day, the dining halls serve mac and cheese and fantastic pasta. Another day, they serve overcooked eggs or charred meat. Perhaps I'm just a picky eater but when I'm starving, I want delicious food that makes my mouth water. On the bright side, Hamilton has an excellent vegetarian and gluten-free scene. This positive aspect, however, doesn't help those of us who are carnivores or who just generally love to eat.

Akela

Hamilton College is an amazing school! In my opinion, it’s quite underrated considering its competitive admissions process and excellent academic caliber. I often struggle with the campus life due to its focus on Greek life and partying in general, which I am not a fan of. However, I am extremely grateful to be attending a school that offers a wide range of courses that expose me to a variety of career options. Most of my professors have been incredibly motivating and inspiring, and I’ve been able to create meaningful bonds with them. I’ve learned so much academically, which I expected to, but I also learned a lot about myself, the world around me, and my place in it. As a junior, I have a clear idea of what I plan to accomplish in life and I owe it all to Hamilton College.

Karina

Hamilton College is a small college that offers a wide variety of opportunities for their students. There are always events available that target most, if not all, fields of study. Successful guest speakers are often brought in to speak to the students, offering advice that ranges from recently graduated students to long-graduated alumni. The teachers really seem to care about both their subjects and their students, and it is easy to find a professor in each department that would help you. The only issue is the overall lack of diversity regarding students of color.

Cimone

I thoroughly enjoy Hamilton. If students are looking for small class sizes and intimate relationships with professors and other students, this is the perfect school for them. Depending on the courses you take, you will be challenged in the way you think, perform and the things your believe. If you allow it, these challenges will lead to momentous changes. The institution truly does live up to its motto: Know Thyself. With this said, the school could improve in many ways. Primarily, I wish it had more resources for students of Color in terms of faculty and staff of color. In navigating predominantly white institutions, students of Color at times have difficulty adjusting and maintaining stable mental health. The school also needs to develop its Africana Studies department. Many of the faculty in said department have been transferred over from another disciples - anthropology, classics, etc. If we were to strengthen this department, students of Color would feel more at home in the institution.

Angelica

I love this school. It is a great campus with the best people and professors. Everyone is proud to be here and most people are highly involved. Not only is there a lot of support from your professors, there are various opportunities to grow on campus.

Sweet Retribution

Every single asshole that goes to this school has their head so high up their ass that they can feel the pulsations of their esophagus. These people seriously believe that they go to a prestigious university when in reality, they go to an ugly liberal arts school stuck in a Podunk. You'll never see anyone studying since they'd rather spend their days sniffing each others farts. Despite the lack of intellectualism on campus, the party scene is also lacking. Think of a kid's birthday party of a McPlayPlace in a methhead town.

Juliet

Hamilton is a great place. Its like a little sanctuary separate from the rest of the world. If you want to be in nature and feel that separation, it is awesome. Coming from a city, this was a difficult transition. The classes are amazing, the open curriculum does work how it says. I am grateful for all the amazing classes I took.

Manju

Yeah, its amazing and reputed college all over the New york city.I m glad to be the part of it if i get an oppotunity.Another thing is that,college had really good history program and friendly environment.I want to immersed in fun environment that was very rigorous academically.