Harvard University

« See more reviews of Harvard University

At Harvard, everyone's a leader. It's a bit exhausting and spurs untold numbers of inferiority complexes. It's a place that makes people feel like they should be extracurricular superstars as well as academic. There are a million student groups, tons of volunteer organizations and opportunities and a great infrastructure to support them (the Phillips Brooks House), final clubs, fraternities and sororities, political groups, and a bunch of other kinds of activities. Having transferred from a state school, I could hardly believe how much money the place has. It's evident everywhere, and most students have no context for appreciating how lavish it is. From the gorgeous dining halls to what struck me as amazing food and gourmet menus (that I of course eventually tired of) to the receptions and wine and cheese that followed lectures, to what seems to be hundreds of thousands of dollars given to undergraduates for research during the year and the summer. Being located in Cambridge is definitely a nice thing about Harvard, though the people of Cambridge might disagree. It's wonderful to have such beautiful and vibrant neighborhoods within walking and biking distance of the campus, though thanks to the Harvard Corporation, the corporate body alternately controlling or at odds with the faculty and administration, Cambridge is getting more and more expensive and commercially and demographically homogeneous.

The best thing about Harvard is the different types of people here. Like everyone has a different view on everything and everyone is passionate about something and willing to learn about other things. It seems like everyone is here to get something out of college. I think Harvard is just the right size and I love the sense of community that groups and clubs create. People usually try not to freak out when I tell I go to Harvard and it becomes awkward. Sometimes they do freak out and it still becomes awkward. It's just...always awkward. I love the fact that there are other schools around so that you can assert your superiority. Haha, just kidding. But it's great to have other schools cuz you can mix it up and go to their parties and take them to your parties.

The best thing about Harvard is the people that you meet. You can always find your niche and there are people who are just as amazing at the things you're good at too. As always, having to drop the H bomb is kind of annoying but sometimes it works to our advantage. I feel like the other really great thing is the upperclass housing, it gives a sense of community I feel can't be rivaled. Though a lot of rooms are old and small, etc, it doesn't matter really. I feel like the worst rooms here are better than some of the average rooms at other universities. Though I would say the demographics are clearly skewed towards asians. I tend to see few minorities (black, hispanic, indian american) and would like to see more of that.

The best thing about Harvard is the diversity of the students. The Harvard campus is beautiful, especially the Yard but I wish it was more private from tourists. The school size is just right. People are often impressed when I tell them I go to Harvard. I spend most of my time on campus in my dorm. Harvard administration is very helpful and caring towards its students. The biggest recent controversy on campus is the women hours at the gym. There is a lot of school pride. The most unusual thing about Harvard is the amount of tourists we get on a regular basis. I will always remember my time with my entrywaymates, making snowmen at 4AM in the yard. The most frequent complaints are usually about food.

- it's the perfect size: not so many people that you're overwhelmed but enough so that you can meet someone new everyday. also, the "house" system helps to build a stronger sense of community within the larger campus - hmm how do people react when i tell them i go to harvard? they're usually surprised. i wonder what that says about me... :) i'm going to be optimistic and say that they're probably just in awe that i have brains on top of these stunning good looks :) that was a joke... -cambridge is awesome: there is always something fun happening somewhere, but it's not as completely overwhelming/noisy/overcrowded as someplace truly in a city.

Harvard is completely overwhelming. In every way imaginable: academics, socially, extra-curricular-wise, etc, and it's extremely important to stay grounded and true to yourself. It's easy to feel completely overshadowed by everyone, and the best mentality is to celebrate the achievements of everyone around you while figuring out your own path and interests. The town around is great - Cambridge has some great stores/restaurants, and it's a nice break from campus. The best thing about Harvard is the people you meet - I've met some truly extraordinary people here, all of whom are talented and passionate about what they do.

I absolutely loved my entire experience at Harvard University - I've never regretted my decision to attend this school for a second. I love the incredible history in our institution. When you move in your Freshman year, you find in your welcome packet a list of everyone who has every lived in your room, including some historic individuals. I've loved the passionate people, the professors who people from most other universities only read about, and the opportunities it affords both on campus and off.

Harvard is interesting. The best thing about Harvard is the people, the one thing about Harvard I would change is the amount of competition. I love that many Harvard students are ambitious (not just academically) and that in general, we have goals and work hard for them. I spend the majority of my time in my House and the time I have spent here with my friends is time I will always remember.

Thankfully, Harvard is just the kind of college I had envisioned for myself: the size of the school allows for individual expression without compromising the overarching school spirit. The campus is situated in the heart of Cambridge, MA and is easily accessible from almost any direction by public transportation. Even so, students tend to spend much of their time on campus grounds.

The best thing about Harvard is my peers. They are kind, thoughtful, driven and have the potential to make the world a better place. I spend most of my time at the campus homeless shelter and in Hillel. Harvard's administration doesn't care much about the undergrads, unfortunately. They just missed a big opportunity to improve student in appointing a new Dean of the College.