Hillsborough Community College

« See more reviews of Hillsborough Community College

Extracurricular activities, express interest in clubs, devote spare time to community service, these are just a plethora of ideas that (if given the opportunity) would change my future for the better academically. However, none of these accomplishments would amount to anything ,given, if a student didn't devote a sufficient amount of time to everyday studying. In my past, I failed to devote adequate time to studying and as a result I'm now faced with taking pre- requisite courses that do not challenge me intellectually and with time being wasted from taking courses that will benefit me on my road to becoming a doctor of internal medicine. A student can go above and beyond in the service of his/her's academics, however, that student must not forget to not go beyond their own GPA. High school seniors usually have a laid- back type of attitude toward the world and their studies, so often we forget to do the simple things in life, such as study, and as high school seniors this was usually the last thing to occur on our mind and unfortunately, unknowing, we were hurting ourselves.

“Seize every moment and enjoy what life has to offer”, take your scholastic career seriously and be mindful of your decisions. These are the top 3 things I would tell my younger self . When you’re young and in high school everything is a bliss. Most teens and myself alike are hard headed at this age ,we think that we are immune to stupidity . I remember my mom telling me on multiple occasions that “experience is the best teacher.” I never fully grasped that statement fully until adulthood. Like the time I drove my car without checking the water .Then I cracked my head gasket which took me forever to get fixed, this is a classic case of lesson learned. When people are giving you constructive advice it’s for a reason they don't want you to suffer like they did. In high school is where you figure out your likes and dislikes. Get a chance to make memories that last forever without costing you tons. That means taking advantage of of all extracurricular activities, when you do this the skills you obtain are priceless. Working hard in class means that you excel,the same applies to adulthood.

My biggest advice to myself as a high school senior would be to relax and prioritize! As a freshman I was amazed at how many things are thrown at you and it is up to the individual to pick and choose what is important to them. To me, prioritizing is one of the most important things to a college student, especially a freshman. Choosing the social scene over academics is a detrimental mistake that many college freshmen make, that I really was unaware of before freshman year. One must be able to go to class without someone pushing them, do their homework, study, and then distribute times as desired. Not the other way around. The excitement of being on your own and having an academic overload is more stressful then I ever imagined, that is why my advice would to be just relax. It is crucial to success to relax and take things one step at a time to get things done. Nothing is ever accomplished when one is worrying, and that time could easily be used to do something much more constructive. Being able to relax and be calm after properly prioritizing is truly when one can succeed.

Procrastination is the absolute best way to ruin any chances of succeeding in anything one wishes to accomplish or achieve. Having experienced the destructive powers of procrastination first-hand, I can honestly say that I have missed various opportunities and chances that could have made things easier than they are at the current time. Knowing this, if I could go back in time and converse with with myself as a high school senior, even if for a second, my one plea would be "DON'T PROCRASTINATE!" Then I'd most likely go on in saying how procrastination, in itself, goes about dismissing future possibilities and closing off pathways that could ultimately lead to success in life if not completely banned from the schedule of one who is aiming to do grand things in their lifetime and not just in college. Otherwise you're left at a standstill, wishing for a way out that may never come. All in all, keeping up with the times and working hard to win it all is the best guarantee to a successful and smooth transition into college life.

My College experience has been nothing but life changing. Several years ago I was injured at work and as a result, I suffered from depression, I was homeless, and I felt like the world was fall on top of me. A chance meeting with an Angel of a Doctor convinced me to go to college. I am without a doubt very grateful for her encouragement, and I owe my success to her, my family, and friends that prayed and supported me through very hard times. I still continue to live with some health challenges but college has allowed me to hope and offer others encourage, counsel, my time with a very willing heart to anyone who needs the kind of encouragement I needed. College has been the place where I have found the will to live and change other people who may have stumbbled on hard times like I did. Through God's grace, lots of help, prayers, and a lot of support, I have managed to maintain excellent grades for which I am proud. College has given me self worth and I am certain if many more people tried it, they would be happy they did.

If I was able to go back in time and speak to high school senior self there are many things I would say. I would tell myself that AP classes are helpful in preparing for college because they are more of a challenge. I would also tell myself that good sleeping and eating habits make for better test grades and studying is more important than going out with friends. Most importantly I would tell my younger self to relax and take a breather because stress is the enemy. Moving out onto my own and starting life as an independent adult was one of the hardest things to do. In moving you have to leave your family behind and stand on your own two feet. Whether its moving to a dorm or into an apartment off campus the transition is hard but well worth it. I would tell myself to be prepared to feel home sick but remember that your family will always be there for you whether you are a few feet away in the other room or thousands of miles away on the other side of the country. Your family will be with you and you will be thankful.

As a high school senior i was into extracurricular activities, hanging out, and dressing to impress everyday of school. Although i may have been informed that life was not a fashion show, i always reassured myself it were. If i was able to go back in time to my senior year at Wharton High School, i would inform myself that life is not about looking pretty, the latest fad, or the hot new guy who just moved in from another town. Instead, i would advise myself that studying is the key to success. I would reassure myself why I was in school to begin with, which is to learn. In time, i became so used to cramming everything that i learned that it had became a habit. I would advise myself to actually learn the material that i had studied, because more than likely I would see it again. Instead of having to re-learn everything i knew, it would be more like a review of prior studies. Last, but certainly not least I would inform myself that their will always be obstacles in life but when life gives you lemons make lemonade.

Dear past Luke in a couple months you will be a college student and i know its kinda bittersweet leaving high school but you need to understand that this is a new chapter in your life and with new chapters comes the opportunity to renievent yourself and be the absoulute best version of yourself you can be. And truth be told your problem that you still face today as im writing this letter to you is you make life more complex than it outta be, you make self improvement more complex than it outta be. So heres what your going to do your gonna start being the hero of your own story. Pretend theres a camera following you around 24/7 that is recording you so one day when your kids and grandkids see it they will say "wow dad/grandpa was something else he got things done and lived his life to the fullest every day". Because objectively in your head like everyone else you already know what you need to do and how you need to do it you just need to start doing it. SO STOP OVERTHINKING IT AND BE THE PERSON YOU WANT TO BE.

If I could go back to senior year in high school and give myself advice on college life I would start with the importance of finding the right community. A small knit community with a lot of one on one time has always been benificial to me and part of why I love Franklin Pierce University is that it is a small school; you know the professors and you know the students and in turn there is always someone you can turn to. Also I'd tell myself to keep an open mind about fields of study. In high school I knew I wanted to do nothing but English, when I got to college I learned I wouldn't enjoy it in a professional setting. I was lucky enough to have picked a school with other options that worked for me but I've met many other students that were far too narrow with their intended field of study and ended up transferring or quitting altogether because they didn't pick a school with more than one major that might fit in with their personality. People are ever changing and you never know where the next door may lead.

The most important part of this is , I would return to tell myself to finish high school .I quit highschool beginning of the 10th grade to join working america due to poverty .I left school behind to chase what I was lead to belive at the time which was money . This fall in the category of one of the greatest mistakes I have made to date . Being a foolish minded young boy at the time I had no clue at the future ramifications of that single decision .Now that I have decided to take back my educational future an attend college ,I would have to tell myself work hardand dont give up.I had the wrong idea of what giving up was when I was younger now I understand a completly different meaning of what it takes to give everything . By just simply doing small minor adjustments to what I used to think was a big deal ,could have changed my whole future outcome . I am a father now so I cant allow my self to live in regret , but if I had the chance JUST TRY HARDER would have been the message I would have used .