Hofstra University

« See more reviews of Hofstra University

Since Hofstra has a relatively smaller campus, it's easy to get involved and be aware of the various activities happening on campus. While our football team was shut down due to budget, there are still other major campus sports such as Lacrosse and Basketball that the school goes out to cheer for. There are multiple sororities and fraternities on campus but for the most part they aren't all that loud or prevalent in the student body. For my major, journalism, there's the student-run newspaper, The Chronicle, which any one can contribute to, and the ed2010 magazine journalism club, as well as the PRSSA Public relations club which all aid to help students find internships and jobs after school. For performance groups the school has multiple choirs as well as 3 a'cappella groups that are relatively exclusive audition groups, as well as the Masquerade Musical Theatre club which puts on a musical each semester, the Spectrum Players that put on a play, and many dance groups including Dance Works. There are a number of philanthropic groups on campus and it's easy to get involved, and to try things out to find your niche. Over the weekend, there are typically multiple parties at the nearby frat houses which are a walking distance from the dorms, or some people go the nearby bars Dizzy's and McHebes. People who aren't interested in partying or drinking on the weekends often go into New York city to go see shows, museums, concerts, etc. Or for something more local, head to the nearby movie theaters or mall in Garden City. There are always events going on with speakers or performances by the clubs on campus. Hofstra throws a fall festival every year with big name performers and a large carnival, last year drawing in Rick Ross, Joan Jett, Salt 'n pepa, and Taking Back Sunday. Also, Hofstra has now been chosen twice for the Presidential debate, with the next one occuring next fall on campus. There's typically a lot going on and many ways to meet people if you're willing to put yourself out there and try out some different campus activities.

Most students here are interest in Greek life, but just because you're not in it doesnt mean you sit at home on the weekends doing homework alone. There is always something to do on campus. Events are always being planned, like movies or speakers. We just had a writer from the Simpsons here. Stephanie Tanner was here last year. There have been A LOT of political speakers here since Hofstra is hosting the 3rd and last presidential debate. A lof of these political speakers are legit people who have book and are on c-span. Again there's always the option of going to the city. And with NYC the options of what to do are endless. I mean i could go catch a broadway show whenever i wanted to. Parties, like every campus, aren't exactly scarce. Parties arent the only thing to do, but they're an option.

Many different groups on campus are important to our very diverse campus. I am a member of Masquerade Musical Theatre Co., which puts on a mainstage musical every semester. It is generally a lot of fun. Students propose to direct a musical of their choice, assemble a production team, hold auditions, and run the show from start to finish. It is a great opportunity for students of all different majors. As for the question of whether or not students leave their doors open... it's not actually permitted in most areas of campus. If there have been magnetic door props installed then the residents are permitted, and in this case it is common for the doors to stay open. Everywhere else it is a fire code violation to prop open a door.

So there are a few bars within walking distance of Hofstra, and while they are frequented by very many Hofstra students (mainly I would say the Greeks), the are others who aren't that big on the party scene, perhaps more appreciative of an intimate setting. Partying doesn't seem to affect studies too much, but maybe I'm a bit biased. The university sponsors all kinds of events year-round, from more political to more relaxed and social events. This is especially true for first-year students and Honors College students (Honors College has many perks like free tickets to Broadway shows, sports games, etc).

There are so many groups on campus. I'm part of the Hofstra Film Club, but not very active. But it is a good group if you are interested in film making. The campus always has something going on, giving events from dances to speakers almost every day. There are also several plays a year. People are fairly friendly so leaving the door open for people in the hall to stop by can be common. Thanks to the Honors college and the dorms and activities, I met my friends. Every weekend there are parties, but plenty of other things to do. Off campus, there are theatres and the mall and the NYC to go to.

There are many events on at Hofstra. i get e-mails all the time. The events are big too. Well known authors, playwrights people in the buisness come talk to us. i did not meet any class friends at Hofstra. Its a big place, i commute, i made this desicion but its still kind of sad that I don't have special friends from college. I also have met nobody I would want to date. Guys stay to themselves or the to girls they know. They also tend to hang with slutty girls. I do not go to parties but I hear talk - people drink a lot. Its not my scene but it is college

There really is no club that is any more popular than another. Hofstra concerts may be, because they put on free movies and cheap concerts.We are not allowed to have our doors open because it's a fire hazard, but we all hang out in the building's lounge together. Athletic events and guest speakers and theatre are very popular. I met my closest friends at Orientation. If I'm awake at am on a Tuesday, I am most likely just hanging out. People party mostly on the weekends. Frats and Sororities are on campus, but not hat important.

Greek life is really popular on campus. Some of the most popular events are associated with the Greeks, and they are who usually throw the best parties. There isn't much to do off-campus if you don't have a car, except for going into New York City. Luckily, a shuttle leaves for the train station every hour, so that's a nice perk. It's best to meet people at Hofstra through clubs and organizations, that way you'll find people you have something in common with that you'll see often enough before you build a friendship.

Most students from when i lived on campus started to leave their dorms open when everyone in the dorm got acquainted with each other and more comforable. i met my closest friends from the dorm and also in my class that involved a lot of partner work which helped in getting to know those people better. i believe people party pretty much everyday, but thursday and the weekend are the biggest party days. i stayed home and went to work last weekend,

I believe the most popular groups and organizations are athletic teams and greek life. I'm currently not involved in either, but have a close group of friends and have recently become an RA so look forward to meeting more people that way. Events offered on campus are popular to those that seek them out. Otherwise, people have their own agendas. There is a fair amount of drinking, but not too much that you feel out of place when you are not.