Hofstra University

« See more reviews of Hofstra University

I enjoy activities on campus that do not include the Long Island girls.

The most popular groups is most likely the sororities/fraternities

Plenty of options

Rad.

Umm...frats and sororities are big here. Lots of artsie clubs are big. Also groups and organizations in your major is what most people get into. Students try to leave their dorm rooms open but alot of buildings have slam locsk and you will get fined for that. Plus stealing is big - which is why they have those fines - so you are told to lock your door even when just going to the bathroom in the hall. Personally, most people leave their doors open or cracked when they are in their room...although it depends on the floor (dunno why). Athletic events can be big or small - Rugby and Basketball are huge here. We get occassional guest speakers that bring out large crowds although not usually. We have a great communications department so we get hooked up with great shows. For $5 we had shows to see Mitch Hedgberg, The Roots, Lewis Black, and alot of other great people. So...that was great. The dating scene is mostly found in a blacked out portion of your memory when you were at the bar. I met my closest friends through classes, living on the same floor, and through my closest friends. If I'm awake at 2 am...I'm probably smoking pot, drinking, studying, writing some kind of paper or something, watching tv trying to fall asleep, or playing guitar hero. Traditions? Well...Happy Hour every friday! Then there are the frat things at certain times of year. 4/20 is big, mardi gras, the usual ones I guess. I know people who party 24/7, people who party hard on the weekends, and people who never party. It depends on what you want to do. Frats and the whole greek thing is big but its not necessary. Saturday night not drinking usually involved getting high. Or studying. Off campus is where the bars are...plus the biggest mall in Long Island is 10 minutes away. Lots of great places to eat around here...although expensive.

There's so many different groups, clubs, organizations and teams to chose from on campus. I'm on the cheerleading team here. I cheer for men and women basketball games this year. The only thing that sucks about the fall is there is no longer a football team here. But the cheer team is still a ton of hard work yet still fun. Being involved helps you make friends and find people you can really trust on campus. Dorming is good too. I live in a suite style and love my roommate and suite mates, they're actually some of my best friends. We always go out together, whether is a Tuesday night at the bar or we're just going to get dinner. They're seriously the best. But there's lots of other ways to meet people. The bars, the library, the gym, just be willing to talk to anyone. Or the games. Basketball games are pretty big here and baseball is in the spring. Many of the kids on the baseball team are in frats too. Greek life is pretty popular, but if you aren't in it it's not going to be the end of the world. There's plenty of people who don't participate in Greek life. If you're trying to get off campus for a little while, the Roosevelt Field Mall is about 5-10 minutes away, so close. There's a ton of places to eat and hang out. Plus, the city is only a 35 minute train ride. Me and my friends go in a lot. Its always fun to go into the city especially during Christmas season with all the lights.

i think social life is pretty average. i am not the party goer type to get drunk. i am perfectly happy hanging out in someones dorm room. in almost every other dorm i have been into everyone is really friendly on the floor and always leave their doors open, and that is one thing i wish we had on my floor. the people are hardly ever here and no one ever leaves their doors open. frats and sororities are very big at hofstra and they take homecoming and greek week really seriously. i am not a fan of soriorities and i would never join one. i need my space i couldnt be with the same people and i dont want to get drunk every weekend. thats just not me. there are a lot of shows on campus and i do go to them. i think they are always pretty good. we recently had comedians and they were hysterical. this weekend we just played games and laughed and talked a lot in my friends dorm till 2 in the morning and then i just hung out with another friend till midnight. neither night consisted of any drinking and getting drunk. off campus we usually go to the mall or out to dinner

Greek life at Hofstra is popular, but it doesn't mean you won't have any fun if you don't join. There are over 150 clubs on campus which means no matter what you like to do you can find it on campus. Hofstra doesn't have it, then start it. The school also encourages students to start new clubs to provide activities for all its students. Like at any other college, Hofstra students know how to have a good time and on any given night you can find a party going on somewhere. Our close proximity to NYC means we have access to one of the worlds greatest cities and all of the fun that it offers. We love our basketball team, even in the years when they aren't playing well, and we stand together as fans cheering on our team no matter what! They don't call us the "Pride" for no reason. The school aslso does a lot to being interesting speakers to campus, whether it's former US President Bill Clinton to Jilliam Michaels the fitness trainer from The Biggest Loser.

Our Greek life is very much alive on campus. But there are over 200 clubs on campus, and many of them are well and alive (with loads of members). If you are a guy (or girl) like me and don't want to be involved with any frats, then join more than one club. I am starting a club myself, and I hope to get as many students involved on campus with mines. Most of our sports are intramural, so if you were looking for college league team Hofstra sort of lacks in that area, but it stills has them. If I had to choose and say which one is most popular now, it would be the Hofstra v. Zombies club. It is a club where students dress up like zombies and human survivors and go around campus attacking one another with Nerf equipment, and turning one another into zombies. It is exactly like a videogame, only in real life. (I am not a part of this club, however).

The kids in my dorm are pretty comfortable with one another. Given, I live in the smallest dorm complex on campus. But still, I'm happy with the social situation in the dorms. All of my closest friends lived near me in the dorms. Partying has posed problems. I came to college expecting to party at least one night every weekend. That hasn't exactly happened. There are parties on campus, but they are usually frat parties. These suck because EVERYBODY goes there. Who would want to go to a party that's so crowded you can't move or talk to anybody new? Not me. My friends and I latch on to any house we hear about that's throwing a party. But these houses will only party once every few weeks. Otherwise we're stuck drinking in our rooms.