Hofstra University

« See more reviews of Hofstra University

It is very hard to select the best college for you because it is a decision that largely impacts the future you. Its easy to know whats best for us presently but hard to try and place yourself in the long term. For those that are not positive of what direction they want their life to go, I suggust a larger school with a good co-op program. These types of schools allow new students to discover who they want their future selves to be, while still graduating on time. I attend a small university and feel trapped, and at twenty years old thats wrong.

I would tell myself, don't go into a major just becuase you got money for it. You can always find money somehow. go into the major you want to and excell in it, don't waste your time doing something you don't want to do in seven years. Also, follow your heart, don't become friends with people who will bring you down. Explore your paths, don't stick to the clean path, take some risks and chances to find out what you really want to do in life. And please, please, take all your pills and vitamins so you don't get extremely sick your first year!

Keep an open mind. College will likely change your life, so you should stick to your instincts when picking a place that seems familiar and comfortable to you, but don't limit yourself too much. Your major will probably change, what you want to do with your life might, too. Choose somewhere that you like overall rather than somewhere that will get you a good job. Go to college looking for personal fulfillment rather than great career opportunities alone, and you will have a better time adjusting and be happier in the long run.

college is not only a learning and maturing experience, but one that lasts a lifetime! pick the one that you think is best for you and do not worry about making the wrong descision. it is ok to not know what you want to major in, most people don't! But that is part of the learning experience and it helps you to find the person you are and will become. this is your chance to make yourself into the person you want to be, no matter what that is! And if you thought high school was fun...college is 10 times better!

Make sure you take the time to go to the college and look at evert nook and cranny of the school. Come during the semester and observe the culture, the interactions and the classes of the students. Sit and watch a class that yoru interested in majoring in. It could be very helpful in determining if you like how the teachers interact with the students. Above all ask questions!!! Like all the teachers in High school said "there are no stupid questions". You'll gain a wealth of information just by doing so.

I have gotten a great deal out of my college experience. I have learned how to be responsible, prioritize, take care of myself, defend myself, and be proud of who I am. Before college I was insecure, and afraid to take a stand even when I really believed in something. Now I know that I can pursue my dreams and goal, and that if I put in the hard work, I can reap the benefits of the reward, whether it be a high gpa, a good eployment opportunity, or simply being more about the world around me.

Make sure that a car is not needed on campus if you are not planning on bringing one. Without a car in a suburban enviornment you will be totally bored in your free time and unable to do much. I suggest visiting the campus at least twice once on a weekday and once on a weekend so you can see how active the campus is on the weekend. Also make sure that you will fit in with the student population and that campus life is not geared to those who live in the area where the college is.

College tours only show the silver lining of a school. There are many attractive campuses with incredible statistics, but make sure research is done on the general student body before making a final decision. Find students online who can make personal claims about campus life and websites are dedicated to giving prospective students the inside scoop about their schools of choice.. A perfectly groomed campus can be meaningless when it is filled with a cold-hearted student body.

Explore all spectrums of schools. Look at big schools, small schools, private schools, public schools, etc. Tour campuses of all kind; urban, rural, suburban and everything in between. Make sure you expose yourself to everything so you know exactly what you like and what you dislike. Chances are, there is a school that has everything you like in a college. If you're unsure of a major, chose one that offers all kinds of majors, where you can find something you like.

Making the most of the college experience is not just about the classes and time spent in the library studying. It is also about finding the college that "fits" you best and becoming engaged in the community. The time spent in college should be ful of learning and embracing new opportunities to stretch your character and challenge yourself. Through this, you will be able to handle life with an edge and embrace adversity; knowing the benefits of perserverance