Huntingdon College

« See more reviews of Huntingdon College

Dear Kelsey, I know that Montgomery is only two hours away from your hometown, but your coursework is going to take its toll. By your sophomore year, you will not be making it home as much as your mother would like. I suggest that you call her at least once a day just to tell her a funny story or update her on what you are involved in because that will save you a lot of grief and yelling. You also need to visit the Career Center. It is never too early to begin making career connections once you figure out what you want to do with your life. (by the way, you should look into the field of publishing--just a thought) You should start keeping a record of your volunteer work, summer jobs, and activities because you will soon need to make a resume, and believe me, it will be difficult to remember everything you have been involved with. Oh, I almost forgot. Don't get too down hearted when--umm, if--your high school boyfriend/first love breaks your heart. Huntingdon College is full of great people. You might just meet your soulmate. ;) Have fun, Kelsey Loftin

When it comes to finding the right college, simply obtain as much information about the school as possible. Being the potential college student you need to decide what you would like to get out of your time there [ study and obtain a quality degree, excel at collegiate sports, have a wild social life, etc.] Pick a college that best suits your needs, dreams, and goals. Be open minded and willing to consider even the craziest offers. Follow your instincts. You'll know when you've found the right one. As for the college experience, don't be shy, especially during your first couple weeks. It isn't high school anymore. There aren't the same cliches. Everyone is willing and anxious to meet new people. So take advantage of that. Remember to focus on your schoolwork. Afterall, you are at college to learn. Get a reasonable amount of sleep, don't let your social life intrude with your classes, and take advantage of your school's resources. College is like everything else in that you get out of it what you put in. Have fun. It's a great experience!

Megan, I am going to give you some advice that you will probably have a hard time accepting. You see, I know that you are incredibly focused on getting great grades and achieveing a perfect GPA, but as you move into your crazy college years you need to remember one thing, balance. You must understand that although you are going to college to receive a great education and learn all you can about your field, you are also going to discover who you are and what your role is in this world. Don't hide behind your books and watch others live their lives but dive into some activities, meet new people, get out of your comfort zone. Put down the pencil every once in awhile and embrace the world around you. Remember that grades are not what makes you who you are; It is the experiences you have and the way you handle yourself that truly defines you. Don't allow yourself to get sucked into the world of perfection but instead embrace the ability to make mistakes and grow from them; embrace the humanness of yourself and cast aside the need to be perfect.

The advice i would give to myself about college, based on what i know now, would problably be me going back to the old saying,"Never judge a book by it's cover." Huntingdon although from the outside looking looks very boring and dull, but once you get to know your advisors,faculty, and staff you begin to say question yourself as to why this wasn't your choice all along. It's not about how big a college is that makes it a great college. The most important thing about a college is that you are not just satisfied, but that you absolutley LOVE IT. College is an experience that like high school will come and go. At the end of the day you should love your professors and feel comfortable with them. The best thing about a small college is virtually everyone you know or have at least ran across that person more than once. The main thing about choosing a college is at the end of the day you ask yourself the question "Does this school fit me and my personality?" If you answered yes, then the college in which you chose is the college for you.

Being a high school senior was so easy. I would definitely tell myself not to get so used to everything being so easy. I would tell myself to save all the money I could because when you get to college, funds run out very quickly. Another thing I would tell myself is to learn how to study so that the transition from not having to study at all would be a whole lot easier because in college, or at least at Huntingdon, if you do not study then you do not get the "A". I would make sure to let myself know that things are going to get tough at times you should never give up on your dreams, even if quiting seems to be easier. When you get to the point in your life where your life goals have been achieved it will all be worth it. College may seem like the hardest time in your life, but without your degree, your dreams and goals will not be achieved. An most important of all, I would tell myself not to forget where I came from and who helped me to succeed. Your family should always be the most important.

Start applying for grants and scloarships as early as possible and apply for every single one you'll need the money. Take your last semester day by day graduation comes up fast. Tell all your friends that you love them because some won't get to walk with you and some won't live to walk with you! Apply to Huntingdon College you'll love it and it will cange your life and you'll feel right at home. Keep taking the ACT don't just settle for the twenty-four you know you can get at least a 27. Get a part time job it feels good to be able to help your parents with some of the bills. Don't let the mean girls get to you because the don't get as far in college as you. Don't stress you can do this and you know you can. Live! just live each day because as soon as you walk across the stage you'll want to go right back so don't wish your way out of your Sr. year. Keep studying don't slack you last semester! Love every day and remember everything about it!

While college is one of the funnest and most inspirational times of your life, it is also one of the most difficult. College is a step-up from high school. Tests are bigger, and problems are longer. Learn how to balance social life with academic life early - its all about you and your future. Having said that, the people you will meet throughout your college experience will truthfully be there for the rest of your life. You will laugh with them, you will cry with them, and you will love with them. If you can allow yourself the perfect balance between those two aspects of your experience at college, you will honestly have the time of your life. Join a fratenity. Play a sport. Debate in a political group. Go to parties. Participate in class discussions. Live every second of life to its fullest, because college allows for you to really live. Be all that you can be, and do all that you can do - you won't regret it.

The main advice I think that parents and students should know about finding the right college is that the cost of the school is not the main thing, its the education that the student will be receiving at that instituation that is the main priority. What he or she learns at that college or university will determine his or her future so however much it may cost shouldn't be a huge deciding factor, afterall there are plenty of scholarships and financial aid available so that everyone could attend the school that best fits them. Personally, my parents can't afford to send me to Huntingdon College, I even thought about transfering to a less prostigious and less expensive school so that we could afford it but after many long discussions with my parents we realized Huntingdon was the place for me, the academics were wonderful, I'm about to play two sports as well as get my degree!

To the parents, I would say let your child make the final decision. A school where they are comfortable is where they will more likely succeed. To students, I would say not to pick a school just because you are a fan of their football team. That isn't always a good fit. Make sure that you are comfortable with the school and the campus. The campus shouldn't be too big or too small depending on your preference. Also, move away from home. It will be difficult at first, but being a student who did not live on campus my first year it was difficult to make lots of friends. No matter what your parents say you are ready to live on your own. The only way to really find out is to try it out and if it's not for you then move to a school closer to home that fits you. But the most important advice I could give is to have fun but not so much that you fall behind in school.

I would say to really look into all the possibilities. Your first choice is not always the best one. It is really important to seek out the campuses and talk to people you meet there. Whether it be a teacher, student, or parent. You see so many different perspectives that way then when you only talk to admission offices. Once you decide on the college that is best for you, get involved. Even if it is something small like a study group, the more time you devote to your school, the more it will give back to you. My first semester I wasn't very involved on campus, and I thought that school was going to be rough, but during my second semester I got a lot more involved, and I enjoyed everything a lot more. It really does help to be involved in something. The college experience is all what you make it, so I would definitely advise everyone to make the best of it!