Illinois State University

« See more reviews of Illinois State University

Work woman! Don't be afraid of a challenge because you can accomplish everything you set your mind to. You may not believe me but college is going to be a lot easier than you expect because you know the material and subject area better than you believe you. Because of this, don't be afraid to take on more things outside of your academics. Find a second job, you can handle it; join more clubs, they will want you there. My whole point here is: DON'T underestimate yourself! By taking everything step-by-step you will see that you can do all of it easily especially if you use your calendar on your phone. Keep doing what you're passionate about and jump right in before the 3 short years pass you by! Now go accomplish more than I did because I was scared of taking on too much.

As a college bound student is looking into colleges with his or her parents, it is important to gather as much information as possible about the college and especially to visit the college. Once they visit, it is important to see the dorms and inquiry with residents what it is to live in the dorms because the majority of the time is spent in a dorm room. To make the most of the college experience it is necessary to become involved in organizations to balance between classes and a job if students choose to have one. Being part of an organization or many gives student a sense of belonging and competence. Overall, it is important for the students to question themselves if they could see themselves live and be happy and successful in that one college that they are looking into.

I have gotten so much out of attending college. I have been able to see what it is like to live on my own, as well as gain valuable social experiences. I believe that attending college has enabled me to get a better understanding of what my life is going to be like once I graduate and I am completely on my own. As far as socializing goes, you are not going to make it very far in life unless you posses some type of social skills and attending college has allowed me to foster my social growth. It is important, especially as an education major, that I am able to communicate effectively with others and work in teams, which I have been able to do a lot of due to the fact that I am attending school. These important experiences are going to prove to be very valuable in my future.

I have enjoyed my college experience so far. I thought classes would difficult and the teachers did not care but i was mistaken. My teachers are very helpful and the school also provides tutoring sessions for various courses as well. I have gained knowledge not only from my teachers but from my peers as well. Mostly everyone is very open and welcoming to anyone. I have made friends with many people and have experiences that will last me a life time. College is a time where you find youself and develop long lasting relationships. I feel that i have done just that! I value my education becasue that is the one thing no one can ever take from me. I will have a succesful career and make my mark in this world because of my higher education and the experiences along with it.

Be all in. Join every club that interests you, but only stick with the ones you love. Say hello to strangers, they might be your best friends tomorrow. Smile even when you don't feel like it, because one day you'll realize these really were the best years of your life. Talk to your professors. They're a well of practical knowledge that you can't get from textbooks. Follow your instincts. You don't have to know what you want to do with your life, just start with what you want to learn. Don't be afraid to change your major. Figure out what and who you believe in. It's important. Be with people who push you to be better and do better. If your dreams don't scare you, dream bigger. Don't be content with living a good life. Prepare yourself to live a great one.

Whatever you want to do in life, go chase that dream. I am now returning to school to chase my dream, something I could have done the first time around if I knew what my options were. I did not have the proper guidance of where to go to get the education that I needed to become a nurse. I also did not have the support from my family or friends to pursue that dream. I would educate more parents in what it means to support your children as they prepare to become educated for what they hope is their dream career. Without the support, many students wander aimlessly through school, obtaining degrees in fields they never intend or end up in. So get some good advice, spend time researching the schools that specialize in your field of interest, and go there!

First I would have liked to tell myself that it's ok to go to a community college first to get your gen eds out of the way, because when I was a high school senior I was angry with my mom for making me go to Harper. I would also mention how I should have gotten involved more, and try to do more community service because it would look great on a resume, and it would help when looking for scholarships. I should have saved up more money so when I later found out about volunteering abroad and helping other countries I would be able to do it. One last thing I would tell myself is to spend as much time with your family as possible. They may be a pain some times, but they're your family, they have your back and you never know when something might happen.

If I could go back to senior year of high school I would tell myself to make the most of every moment between then and graduation from college. I feel as if I could have done more as far as getting to know people as well as taking the classes that i needed instead of classes that i wanted to take because I find that money be becoming more of an issue the longer I stay in school. I really enjoy school though, which is also something that I would not have anticipated after high school. I had such a good time in high chool and thought that I was leaving all of those fun times behind, so if i could go back in tim i would also tell myself to not be afraid to go have a good time! because its still possible to do so while still getting good grades.

Knowing what i do now as a college student, if i could give myself advice as a high school senior I would definitely tell myself to focus on my goals and improving upon the aspects of school that I am weak at. I now know that studets can not get by excelling in only one aspect of school, but instead a broad range of knowledge is very helpful for college students. I would also tell myself to work harder on my study habits so that when i come to college these habits will already be in place and it won't be something that I will have to worry about. This is so important because unlike high school, where you do most of your work in class, college is diferent in the respect that most of the work is done outside of class on your own time.

I would tell myself to look further into grants, loans, and scholarships. I was not aware of the hardships I would have to deal with financially, even as a 1st semester freshmen. I had the chance to be in a sorority and a club soccer team but had to turn both of them down in order to pay for other expenses. I also would apply for on-campus jobs sooner because like most college freshmen, everyone needs money. Lastly, I would tell myself to apply to more colleges. Although I love the school I am currently at, I only applied to 4 schools and I think I should have givin more schools a chance. College is said to be the best days of your life so I would make sure my "high school self" knows to spend them wisely, successfully, and happily.