Johns Hopkins University

« See more reviews of Johns Hopkins University

I feel that Hopkins has a very diverse student body. I have met many people from many cultures and backgrounds. I have noticed though that there is a tendency for members of certain social groups to stay within those segregated identities and seldom do they escape the traditional setting of that group to meet and interact with others on a more personal basis (because, of course, interaction occurs in the academic setting)

People are pretty accepting here. Moreso than I found in high school, where if you weren't like everyone else or didn't try to be, you were "weird." There's a lot of individuality here and a lot of diversity if you're into that, but it's not mandatory. There are a lot of people who make friends with people who are exactly like them and that's fine, too. Again, you make it what you want.

Hopkins is a rather white-washed prep school student body. This is probably because many of the minority students will only interact with members of their own minority and what is left is a lot of rich kids who went to prep school. The fraternities are all alike, the best diversity you will get in an organization is through shared interestes, such as athletics or Residential Life.

PJs and sweats are a typical freshman uniform at JHU, but upperclassmen usually have the decency to put on a pair of jeans. Honestly, most people are too focused on studying to notice or care about race, orientation, socioeconomic background, etc. There are active Black Student Associations, Muslim Student Associations, a LGBT group, etc etc - everyone can find their niche.

Most students are from the Northeast or California, and are on the wealthier side. Students are not particularly politically active. Students of all types are accepted here, but there's not a huge LGBT population here, and it's not that diverse. Students interact with each other, but tend to migrate towards people similar to themselves socioeconomically.

no student would feel very out of place at hopkins. a lot of groups are represented. people wear jeans to class, we don't play dress up here. students tend to self segregate a lot. our students are from new jersey and california. probably a school that is predominantly left. we don't talk about money... but you'll hear a lot about medical school.

Any kind of student can be found here at hopkins, although the large majority of them are hardworking people who also like to have fun and go out on the weekends. There are people who study all weekend long, and people that party all week long. Every extreme is represented, although most students adopt a "work hard play hard" attitude here

As a rule, they are intense. Everyone wants to do well, and there is a huge pre-med contingency on campus, who tend to be a bit more cutthroat than everyone else. For the most part it's not too extreme (no one tries to sabotoge each other's notes), but classmates can be a little bit less than eager to help if you're in the same class.

There are a lot of very social, normal people at Hopkins. If you are active in the social community, you'll easily create a good core group of friends. There are definitely a lot of anti social people who spend much of their time in the library, but you'll find that they won't have much of an impact on the social life as a whole.

The students at Hopkins are all so different. First and foremost, I have met students from so many different countries! I have friends from Bermuda, Italy, Bulgaria...everywhere! Also, I feel like students here are really accepting of all types. I know I personally have never felt discriminated against in any way.