Johns Hopkins University

« See more reviews of Johns Hopkins University

There are boring people but I don't associate with them. I have lots of fun here. Baltimore is one of the best cities in America, HONESTLY!!! Baltimore beats Washington, DC and Paris, France (two places I have lived) for community, defiant spirit, local celebrities, weirdness, local music, etc. We have an anarchist coffee house, a farmer's market, a Lithuanian dance hall, warehouses, intimate concert venues, and, best of all, the experimental music festival High Zero every year. Hopkins students are very varied. There are many depressed people, many competitive people, people who cry at bad grades, people who are autistic, people who do not have adequate communication skills, people who sit in their rooms all the time. There are outgoing people who are in the library all the time and are very committed to the ten volunteer activities they head. There are kids who drop out to do coke, suicidal kids, kids who drink bourbon from hip flasks and play in loud bands. We tend toward political apathy. There are very few Catholics. Frequently at the library a big table is speaking Korean. Anime is popular.

No. While there are a large number of pre-meds at Hopkins, it is not true that everyone is pre-med. In fact, the most popular major at Hopkins is International Relations. This is quickly followed by Public Health (which can be take as either a natural science or social science), Neuroscience, and I believe Writing Seminars. Last year, most of my friends happened to be International Relations students, although a few of them branched out into other more specific programs. Nevertheless, it is clear that this rumor is untrue. In regards to the rumor that Hopkins is cutthroat, I have not found this to be the case. While classes are very difficult, especially considering that we do not have grade inflation, people are more than willing to share notes, do homework in groups, and even tutor you in specific subjects. I don't know how I would have gotten through Calculus without my friend helping me each week.

The problems with some of these stereotypes are they are true, though it all depends on who you make friends with. There are a large group of kids that spend most of their time studying as well as any fun time they do have playing video games or something of the sort. Though, there is also a group that is big into the bar and club scene and do actually go out and party. There are also the 'artsy' kids who go to concerts in the area, art shows, etc. It really depends on what crowd you enjoy being with most. Most students hate JHU and Baltimore in general the first few years and some never stop hating it. Others fall in love with the city, which can drastically change how you enjoy JHU as a whole. JHU is really want you make of it.

1) A lot of people are as hardcore as if they were applying for med school, but there are plenty of other science majors, engineers, etc. There are also lots of slackers - ie lacrosse types - and kids in between. 2) It's easy to have a social life, just not a campus life. Especially once you move off-campus (practically a requirement by the time you're a junior or a senior, though there's now some housing for upperclassmen) you pretty much hang out with your friends, and there aren't really a lot of school or campus activities to get involved in.

So students here are rumored to be pre med, cutthroat, and anti social. Yes, there is a sizable pre med population, but please don't forget that there are sooooo many students who are humanities or social science people. Cutthroat? Please. You won't be able to do really well unless you get help from people and correspond over material. The library is always full of study groups every single day. And we are definitely social!

To a certain extent, yes. A lot of kids do spend all of their time studying, but a lot of kids don't. It all depends on your major and what kind of student you are (engineers typically get more work and go out less, but some engineers can do well without studying).

Some are: students are very studious which at times limits their social interaction with others Some are not: it is a multi-ethnic school with a diverse student body of many, not only Asian, cultures; and not everyone is studying medicine

There are a large number of pre-meds but this is not a bad thing. The school is only competitive if you make it competitive. I have never faced a situation where I felt that people were trying to compete with me to make me look bad.

We are definately all weird and awkward. . . a large number of people are socially retarded, but the cutthroat aspect of Hopkins is only felt as much as you let it affect you. Study hard get good grades and no one else matters.

There are many people like that, but there are plenty of people who are active on campus and do things. The best part about people who stay in their room or the library all day is that you never have to see them.