Johns Hopkins University

« See more reviews of Johns Hopkins University

I enjoy that people at Hopkins are very dedicated to their studies. Its possible to have intellectual and thrilling discussions with people of many majors and focuses. I dislike the segregated aspect of the location of the campus in that it is located in Baltimore yet almost scorns the Baltimore feel to the city. The campus is traditional, elegant and ornate while only a few blocks away are row houses and downtown is right down Charles Street. Yet I find it easier to take a train to Washington DC than to jump on a bus to the Inner Harbor. There is a definite lack of respect for the city of Baltimore by students at JHU.

Hopkins is an awesome location, a beautiful campus in the heart of a city, which allows so much opportunities if you take the initiative to get off campus and explore. Many people complain about Baltimore not being a good city but they are just whiners who havent put themselves out there enough. Everyone here is weird and awkward in some way, which makes for a lot of hysterical situations. However, you cannot be the kind of person who is easily upset by people who have no idea how to handle normal social situations, as this happens a lot. Brush off people's oddities and lack of common sense and you'll be fine.

Hopkins is actually an awesome school. The campus is absolutely stunning, and there are many resources provided that only students attending a research-oriented university of this caliber are able to experience. Baltimore as a city is very underrated, offering a wide-spectrum of great restaurants, bars, the inner harbor, and sporting venues (Orioles and Ravens stadiums just 15 minutes downtown); all it takes is a little exploring. The least attractive attributes include the general lack of school spirit (i.e. sporting event attendance, student group involvement) and the relatively small social scene.

The best thing about JHU are the people you meet here. I've met some of the highest quality people I will probably ever find in my life. I think the school size is good (~4000 undergrads) but I wish the classes were smaller and more personal. If people actually know what Hopkins is, they seem to be impressed that I go here (and I am proud of that). Most of my time on campus is spent in my building, whether it's hanging out with friends, t.v., or studying (a lot). There isn't much of a college town but there are things to do if you know where to look for them.

I love how diverse this school is. Here, there is literally a place for everyone to fit in, grow, and succeed. To be honest, I was intimidated to attend such a caliber school and I was not sure what to expect. But instead in the past couple of years, I’ve found that the students here are so dedicated and have many passions in different areas - academics, athletics, community service, and it goes on. It’s amazing, really. I’ve really come to appreciate and respect the different cultures, backgrounds, and knowledge they possess.

Hopkins is a great school with some smart people at it. However, there is little emphasis put on being well rounded. It is necessary to take it upon yourself to make all you can out of your college experience. No one at Hopkins is going to tell you how to get involved on campus, rarely are you just going to walk outside and be able to get into a game of football on the quad (technically on the freshmen quad sports aren't even allowed.) There is a reason for the no fun stereotype, but it doesn't have to be that way.

My favorite part about Hopkins has been the opportunity I have had to work at the hospital. The ease of getting to the Medical campus and the opportunities I have gained from it have been amazing. I would encourage the school to try to increase levels of school spirit. If there was a designated day off from classes to just bond with other students - maybe a day during a lacrosse game - that would be amazing. It is slowly becoming a college town. There have been many great stores and apartment buildings popping up.

I'm really glad I chose to come to Hopkins. I've been intellectually challenged to levels that I never knew I would be able to reach. I also now live in the city of Baltimore, which has endless opportunites, not to mention, a great social scene. There are free buses that connect all the colleges and the biggest attractions. And the best thing of all are the diverse group of friends I've made. They all have their own special talents and abilities, but we all come together to make the best college community possible.

This is a good school for people who care about academics, but who also want to participate in sports/extracurriculars. School does come first here, but people also spend time on other activities. It's a midsized school--you don't know everyone, but you'll recognize some people when you walk around campus. The administration is trying to do more for students, and alums/older students say that things are improving on that front. There's a lot of great people at this school, both students and professors.

Baltimore is the most underrated part of the college experience at Hopkins. When I was an incoming freshman, I thought that Baltimore was boring and dangerous. As a senior, I now know about the great neighborhoods, restaurants, movie theaters and things to do around the city. Academically, Hopkins and Baltimore feed off of eachother--Baltimore is a city-wide classroom for whatever you are studying on campus. Baltimore is also a great social city--really affordable, with a wide range of things to do.