Johns Hopkins University

« See more reviews of Johns Hopkins University

I wish I had known how to study. I have had a difficult time mutlitasking between sports and school, but having finally made the awful decision to give up something I love, I have been able to get much better grades the last semester not playing soccer. It's been an amazing transition, I've had time to study and am finally getting good grades. I just wish I could have learned to multitask or at least have learned to study much better.

I wish I had known that everyone, everywhere has trouble fitting in at school, especially during the first few weeks. Good friends aren't in the picture, and you're petrified and/or depressed. This applies to all schools, and most people. I was able to harness my individuality and push for a change in the mindset of the average hopkins student. This advice is for all freshmen, not only hopkins'.

It is more competitive than I thought it would be, in a friendly way though. Students help each other study and are never cut-throat, but when it comes down to it, I am in a class with 100 other BME's who all got crazy SAT scores like I did (2290), and the class is graded completely on a distribution. Only a certain number of A's are being handed out and you have to really work for it.

I wish I had known that I would have the time to get more involved in my first semester here. I thought I had to wait to join clubs until second semester, but I could have gotten more involved in my first semester. I was so worried about getting good grades that I only made myself more stressed than I had to be. I wish I had known it was OK to relax.

I wish that I had known not to listen to the stereotypes and negative comments often found on the internet about every college. Mine was stereotyped as a place where everyone would be willing to sabotage others to get ahead, but that is far from true! I'm glad I didn't indulge these rumors too much and let them affect my decision heavily.

I wish I had known that there are hardly any freshman commuters and that unless the first semester teachers aren't the greatest as intro classes are huge. This makes it difficult to ever know your teachers on a more one on one basis or even clarify confusing information.

I wish I had known more of the places around campus, and how to access them. There are a lot of amazing things to see around Baltimore, and although a lot of them can be introduced by fellow students and the faculty, some of the best are discovered on your own.

I wish I had really fully understood the negative atmosphere here. People are bitter and pretentious, and it is wearing to live with day in and day out for several years. This school can be a pain until you find some people worth spending time with.

I wish I knew...about Baltimore. If Johns Hopkins was in San Francisco, New York City, Chicago, Miami...I would have never left school. I could NOT live in Baltimore. I knew I would be out and only back to visit for Alumni Events.

I wish I had known that the workload would be as heavy as it is. I work harder in college than I did in high school. I have adjusted to the increased workload but it took a semester to get used to.