Juniata College

« See more reviews of Juniata College

To be honest, the diversity at the school is not the most...diverse. However, there are many clubs for different groups on campus. This way, people of different backgrounds, cultures and ethnicity can interact with one another and meet others from different backgrounds as well. In regards to the LGBT community, the main group for that on campus is AWOL (all ways of loving). There are numerous events held for the community to discuss LGBT issues on campus or in general. For example, I actually just went to a discussion called "Straight Talk" where people of gay, bi, straight, and transgendered personification talk about their experience at Juniata. Juniata is located in Huntingdon, Pa. In case you did not know, Huntingdon is a very small community with a Walmart, a bowling ally, and a movie theater. Students who come from very large cities feel out of place in a small town environment. Although it is somewhat of a culture shock, I have known different students from New York City and Los Angles that have adjusted to the environment. The students here are very welcoming and nice and would help anyone out with anything if they needed it. Students of all financial backgrounds go here. Personally, I receive scholarships which help with my tuition significantly. Without them, I would not be able to attend here. However there are other students that do not receive financial aid and their families are able to pay the full amount of a private institution anyways. Overall, there is a mix of financial backgrounds.

This campus has many students with a wide variety of personalities. There is someone for everyone to hang out with here, despite the school's small size. Racially, it is not that diverse. The student body consists mainly of white and Asian students. There is a surprisingly large amount of international students, especially from Asian countries. There is a good variety of students from a variety of socio-economic groups. Many students here came here due to the generous financial aid, no there is not an overwhelming amount of extremely rich students. Politically, this tends to be a more liberal campus, but I know plenty of people who are also politically conservative. Religion is also diverse. Students are generally "nerdy," which I mean as a compliment, since I also consider myself a nerd. Students are usually quite studious. Few would feel out of place here, but if you are big into going out on the weekends or are a city person you may get bored, since weekends tend to be a bit chill and low-key here.

There is not a lot of diversity at Juniata. There are people of many races, religions, political beliefs, social classes, and sexual orientations, but most of the students seem to be white, vaguely-Christian, heterosexual, American, upper-middle-class democrats. However, most of the students of Juniata are open to others' opinions, characteristics, and lifestyles. There are groups of students devoted to different political and social causes, with varying levels of involvement.

My classmates are friendly, intelligent, and wonderful people. Each one is unique in their own special way, but since my school is very small, we are like one big happy family. We all participate in campus wide traditions together that have been a part of Juniata College for many years. We all are known for our excellent academic prestige, and carry on Juniata's reputation for having the best and brightest students around.

Juniata students are all pretty aware and active throughout all areas, whether it is politically or athletically, etc. All types of students intereact with one another. Since campus is so small, this is easy to do and it's easy to know the majority of people on campus.

Juniata is a pretty liberal campus, and I feel that the LGBT community is relatively accepted and integrated here compared to many other schools. Students come from mostly middle-class backgrounds, and there are many international students on campus.

My classmates are very friendly, my classes are small, and the small classes allowes everyone to get to know one another.

Most students study a lot during the week, but still have the ability to have fun on the weekends.

My classmates were driven, ambitious, caring and passionate.

Most of Juniatas students are weird, or nerdy.