Kennesaw State University

« See more reviews of Kennesaw State University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

The stereotype of students at Kennesaw State University is that people who attend KSU are not as intelligent as people at "more prestigious" universities. The assumptions are that people only attend KSU because they did not succeed at their previous university, or because they are trying to raise their GPA so that they can transfer to another university. This stereotype is not true, as is evidenced by myself. I did attend a university before coming to KSU, but I simply did not like the other university, and I wanted the diversity of students and degrees that KSU has to offer. I am also not here to raise my GPA so that I can be accepted into another college; My GPA is high, and I plan on graduating from KSU. I know many other intelligent students at KSU who are here because KSU is a great school that is affordable and reputable.

The stereotype of students at Kennesaw State University is kids who want to transfer to another school, along with commuter students. These stereotypes are accurate because the majority of students will transfer to another school like UGA or GT or GSU, because they could get accepted into Kennesaw but not into the other schools. The other stereotype is commuter students, who tend to be older than an average-aged student. This tends to leave campus a bit empty on the weekends, because not many people live on campus. A lot of party kids also go to my school, but none of the parties are ever on campus because its a dry campus and no one wants to hang out there.

One of the common misconceptions about Kennesaw State University is that the majority of the student body are people ages 40 and up. Once, my friends' mother quoted "KSU is the retirement home of Georgia State". Although i will say that there is a population of "older" students present at KSU, our population contains a good mix of all ages. As a previous Resident Assistant, I dealt with many underclassmen and upperclassmen, all of whom were in my age range of 18-25.

There aren't really too many stereotypes at our school because each group is pretty diverse with their members, and you will see many different cultures and types of students at our school. The school has adult learners and is also handicap accessible, whether it is a mental or a physical disability. Things on campus are adjusted to the settings that the students prefer as long as they are reasonable.

The stereotype is that it is a simple school for students from middle class families who come here because they are either too lazy or not smart enough to go to another school. However, I am a 4.0 student and a Nursing major. I have a met a lot of people who are neither lazy or ignorant. I can honestly say that there is a lot of hard working students here who came to college to succeed.

There are many common stereotypes of different types of people who attend Kennesaw State University. All of the above pertain to certain groups of people. However, these stereotypes are generally inaccurate. Most people who attend this school are hardworking individuals who are here to get there education in hopes of a secure career in the future.

At Kennesaw, it seems to me that a stereotype could be the "not-partiers." I'm sure there ARE some parties going on, but I haven't really heard about them..... and at 2 1/2 years of being here, I don't specifically remember ever seeing alcohol.

A lot of the students who attend KSU are commuters because they can't afford to live on campus or have families to take care of. But you should befriend all, not just people your own age, but all different kind of students.

The stereotype of students at KSU is that we are not as smart as students who attend other colleges. This is not true. We are an ever expanding student body with many intellegent students.

Some people stereotype that students at KSU aren't very smart because the college isn't as hard to get into as other colleges. However, this isn't true at all!