Kent State University at Kent

« See more reviews of Kent State University at Kent

Although this school works exceptionally hard to provide a sound atmosphere for people of different backgrounds and lifestyles, I would suggest that anyone who does not think that a university education should be taken seriously should reconsider. Universities have a lot more to offer than community colleges, however the expense can be tremendous. For those considering to become a student at Kent State University, I would highly recommend that you have a strong idea of what career you would like to pursue. Choosing to attend undecided may result in additional semesters after you've complete your four years.

The kind of person that should not attend this school is one who is unappreciative for what they have. Though college schooling tuition is costly, Kent State is a very rewarding and motivational school. The faculty and staff are consistantly more concerned with students succeeding than anything else. A person who is unappreciative or unmotivated enough, in my opinion, to take the fortunate tools that we are given to succeed should not bother applying for this school. This university is very rewarding though if the tools are not taken advantage of then it can be an unfortunate and costly waiste.

Someone who has no focus or ambition (or does not want a Liberal Arts Education) because you have to have good time management, organizational, and study skills to succeed here, especially when you get into your major classes. However, there are teachers, students, and other staff that can help students develop these skills. Conversely, new students need learn how to develop their own goals and strategies, as well as self-motivation and self-efficacy in order to become self-sufficient, aware, and responsible citizens. Anyone can learn, but you have to have the focus and desire to do so.

The kind of person who shouldn't attend this school is one that doesn't have an open mind to differing viewpoints and perspectives. Despite my school being a rather large public university in which the majority of the students are Ohio residents, I was pleasantly surprised by the diversity of perspectives and ideologies. I grew up in a military family, have lived in multiple states within the United States and have even lived overseas in Europe. I graduated from an American high school in Stuttgart, Germany, and was quite shocked to learn just how diverse Kent State is.

Honestly, I think that most anyone could find something about KSU that they would enjoy. There are many different activities, music (with artists in residence Miami String Quartet!) and art departments, a wonderful recreation center, amazing trails to walk (they even have a bog with prehistoric plants), a quaint little downtown area, fraternities and sororities, strong colleges of nursing and architecture, and many fantastic and enthusiastic students and professors willing to help out. It is a campus that is full of conservative and liberal people.

The people who shouldn't attend Kent State Univeristy are people who are lazy. Our college slogan is, "Excellence in Action", which is very true. Kent State University has so many opportunities in every field and students from around the world attend Kent State for our amazing programs. Kent State University, to me, is a very serious and hard-working college. We get reminded to keep up our grades, our advisors are very involved with us, and the people here are very friendly. People who are lazy and don't want to put in the effort would miss out.

A person pursuing an engineering degree should not attend this school. Kent State University does not actually have an engineering degree, it is only an applied engineering degree-so it is not quite the same thing. Besides that, a person who does not like large campuses should not attend Kent State University. The campus is pretty large and spread out. This also means that the class sizes are extremely large. Ranging from 20 students up to 200 students. If a student does not want that large of a class size, do not attend Kent State University.

Kent State University is a very welcoming and diverse campus that attracts many different types of people. However, if there were to be someone looking for a small campus and small student population, Kent State is not for them. The only downside is that students do seem to get "lost in the shuffle",only because KSU is a school to more than 25,000 students. It is spread out over several streets and has much housing. Aside from this Kent is a great school and no matter how big the student population may be, they offer a great education.

I do not think there is a set category of people that should not attend Kent State. Kent is a very diverse campus; Kent accommodates for the disabled and help those needing more of a challenge in classes; and Kent has average people. Also, there are very many strong programs, ranking high on the national list, including Nursing and Fashion. Kent is normally known as a ‘party school,’ but sure, a lot of people go out but not everyone has to. More people stay in than go out in general. Kent is a great school that anyone would fit into.

Kent State University seems very liberal and loose. The students seem more relaxed and less "academic". Though I can be both academic and care-free, most people prefer one or the other. I like friends of both types so that I can relax, but also have friends I can discuss course work with. People who want all of their friends to be more academic, pretty intelligent/studious, and "straight-narrow" might not want to attend this school. Not that there aren't any of those to be found at KSU, it's just that they're in the minority.