Kent State University at Kent

« See more reviews of Kent State University at Kent

I have befriended countless knowledgable professors and made high-caliber friends. The campus's environmental activism also makes me a proud Kent State student. The dining options also allow for a balanced diet which is nice when you're limited to finite options. Activities are plentiful on campus. Community service opportunities are easy to find. I was able to clean up the Cuyahoga River in kayak earlier last semester. My roommate and I enjoy billiards, ping-pong, lifting weights, ultimate frisbee and running. Housing has proven to be comforting as well as responsive. Housing administration readily enforces dorm regulations and helps in conflicts between residents which facilitates keeping the dorm a comfortable and safe place to live. My department advisor helps with everything from my schedule, to scholarships and research opportunities which is priceless for any student getting ready for the competitive job market of today. Overall, I don't have much to complain about concerning my experience at this university. Any student that wants to work hard and play hard would fit in perfectly at this campus.

Nearly everyone wishes they could go back in time and direct their younger self down the right path. As a high school senior, though I thought I was completely ready to take on college and all its difficulties, I now know I was inexperienced and somewhat too pessimistic about my new life. Just as in high school, I took schoolwork seriously in college. It was my number one priority in life. Because of this, I neglected my social life. Instead of joining student organizations and becoming involved on campus, I delved into textbooks and stayed in my dorm. Instead of embracing a very welcoming community on my school campus, I stressed over homework and preparing myself for law school. I didn't have fun. If I could reach through space and time and shake some sense into my 17-year-old self, I would do it in a heartbeat. I would berate myself for being a self-made outcast. I would tell myself to loosen up. Balancing school and friends is possible, and so much more rewarding! Instead of fond memories of forming new friendships my freshman year, all I have is an image of myself alone and studying.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would have to tell. I would start off by saying that it is impertaive to know what you want to do prior to starting college. Taking the time to investigate different majors, analyzing the jobs they could provide with a degree, and shadowing individuals in that profession are extremely important. Also, I would tell myself that starting off at cheaper colleges, such as a community college, is a great idea. Having attended a community college for my first two years was a teriific idea. Not only is it cheaper than four year colleges, but they offer exactly the same basic level courses that any other college would. This is a smart route to take in order to save money in the long run and still receive credit for the classes you need. In addition to this, I would tell my high school senior self to get involved in research right from the start. Working with your professors or professionals and getting hands on experience in your field is irreplacable. Lastly, I would tell myself to always believe in yourself and never lose hope.

Learn how to manage your time wisely. Leaving home, living with your friends, and seeing all the opportunities for different activities shadows the real reason why your attending college in the first place. While it is nice to finally be on your own and enjoy activities around campus with your friends, its easy to get distracted from a research paper or assignment. Academics must come first. If you do not balance your time efficiently between school, friends, and activities a variety of different outcomes can happen. To much time spent on school and you can miss out on activities or new friendships. To much time spent on new friendships and activities can deminish the outcome of your education experience. Balance between social life and academics will be the key to your success not only while your attending college but when you graduate as well. Learning time management for college will transition to your time management skills for your career. Enjoy the new friends you can make, participate in as many activities as you can, but never forget that the most important aspect of college, your education.

I remember you perfectly. You always thought of yourself so highly, and I'll admit: maybe you had reasons to. You were caring, and you listened to everyone when they had something to say. I respect that. You were goofy and outspoken. You were originally a dirty blonde but accidentally shocked your hair straight black. You went from the cute little prep girl to the punk--only because you were sick of being stepped all over, or taken advantage of. You felt bad. Bad as in...powerful. And then look what happened. November 23rd, two o'clock, just after school. You officially fell in with the wrong crowd, and wanted to prove it. You stole something because you felt so powerful, so unstoppable. You had no reason to. Nobody told you to steal, nobody peer pressured you. You did anyway. You were caught, and you realized how stupid you really were. I am in college now and you're still there, back in my past. Life is beautiful, life screws you over. Analyze the important things: happiness, family, friendship. If you do anything to upset that triplet, you may never be you again. All I can say is: that stings.

Sergio, where do you see yourself 10-15 years from now? High school decides where and even when your college will begin. It should never be taken for granted nor as a time to socialize. Senior year is about to begin tomorrow morning. You have your materials ready and your mind is set on the very first day. Next morning you walk into your school and see your friends waiting for you to approach them; next to them is the desk where you pick up your class schedule, which is the better choice? A couple of weeks pass and your English teacher assigns an essay for Monday morning. You go home and are about to begin your essay when suddenly, your phone rings; it is your friend Jason. Should I answer the phone or begin my essay? Sergio, assignments and college is not about doing your responsibilities when you choose, it is about choices. Only you can decide when and if you should fulfill your responsibilities. In the end, it will be you going through the trouble, not your friends. Do not procrastinate, make positive, benifitting decisions. Do these basics steps and time will carry you on through the rest.

I would tell him to prepare the real world for the challenges become harder and the subjects increase in volume just relax trust in your instincts and training and be humble learn from mistakes and situation you will encounter. Let it strengthen and teach you exhaust every resource you can. Take the privelege of free education and never let it go, learn how to write a check and enroll every business course you are able to. Be wise visit the library and read about financial responsibility and the corporate structure. If you have the oppurtunity to have a sponsor pay for your tuition then allow them to don't rely on your parents be assertive take control of your present and future. Meet with a guidance counselor so they can map out your road to success, always be kind give credit to where it is due continue to look for instances to be helpful. Seek volunteering capabilities in yourself attempt to aquire some employment experience if you can dont reject extracurricular activities and intern or externships. Don't panic when it is time to begin the next adventure of your life just enjoy being a teen.

Explore all opportunities available to you. Remain active in campus organizations and use all resources available to gain experiences that you would not otherwise have. College is a privilege that is not afforded to everyone. Do not take it lightly. Do not take it for granted. Study hard; work hard, but not so hard that you never have time for yourself. This is the only time in your life that you will be able to be in this type of environment with the freedoms that are afforded to college students. Enjoy your time. Engage in your learning. Do not be afraid to try new things or meet new people. College will be the best four years of your life, but do not make decisions that will negatively impact you forever. Remember that you are here to learn academically, but you are also here to grow personally. These years will help to shape you into the person you will become and will determine the opportunities available to you when you graduate. Shape your decisions so that they provide you with potential access to the future that you want for yourself. Your future is in your hands - make it great!

As a high school senior I was not the least concerned with my future. Some may consider this predicament a maturity issue, however it is an effect of not having adequate guidance from a reputable authority figure. Not one person in my family or group of friends perceived the institution of education as a means of finding self worth. Hence the first and primary peice of advice would be to get out of my bubble, and immerse myself within groups of people who are commited, and have realistic goals which include the pursuit of obtaining a college degree. And that if I did not heed this warning, I would become accustomed to working retail positions and would be very displeased doing so. Such is the reality of what has actually occured. I would then ask myself, would you rather learn this lesson in four years while scanning daipers at a local retail chain, or change your behavior now and forever reap the benefits which only education can help you to acheive. I would then use this moment to entertain the idea of pursuing a degree in nursing as it would be easier to be accepted to programs back in 2007.

If I had a chance to go back in time and was able to talk to myself as a senior in high school I would tell myself to enjoy the study of the sciences and to let go of my fear of failing. As a high school student, I feared classes that involved chemistry, biology, and physics. Therefore, I did everything in my power to find a path around those courses. As a future undergraduate biology student I would encourage my younger self to put more effort into the sciences and understand the aspects of each study considering the uniqueness and interesting factors that go with each course of study. I would also tell my past self to save as much money as possible through my part-time job because the transition from dependence on parents soon vanishes and independences sets in, which has far more responsibilities than an individual actually wants. I would also tell myself to avoid any parties or get to gathers that would cause your grades in college to suffer. College and grades come first, than fun and celebration comes next. Consider celebrating your grade that you just received. All in all just enjoy life.