Gambier, OH
Kenyon College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Kenyon College

Fixed  rate loan

Fixed  rate loan

Tim

My schools i best known for two things. It has an amazing English department and the swim team has won over 35 national championships.

I would tell the high school version of myself to stop wasting time trying to be cool by hiding your intelligence. The pursuit of knowledge and the curiosity that results in learning new things are beautiful instincts that should not be suppressed. In high school I had an irrational fear of being branded with the dreaded label of “nerd”. In college and beyond I now am liberated by the freedom to express my inner nerd and let it flourish. I want to look my high school self in the eye and let him know what he is missing. I want to let him know how it is exponentially more exhilarating to discuss the impact Edouard Manet had on the Impressionism movement than it is to argue over the impact Adam Sandler had on comedy movies. As a teenager it is easy to allow peer pressure and the fear of embarrassment squelch intellectual curiosity. As an adult you begin to realize that fear, especially the fear of embarrassment, only prevents you from experiencing what is truly enjoyable.

The worst thing about Kenyon College is the lack of internship and career opportunities directly involved with the school. This is partially caused by it being a very small school but it is also very difficult to maintain a high GPA and internship opportunities generally don't take that into consideration as much as they should.

Madeline

It's nice to not be at a huge school but I definitely could do without seeing every single person I know when I go to breakfast in sweats and no make up on on Sunday morning. If people have heard of it, they're impressed. Otherwise they think you're in Africa. The worst things are the isolation, drinking culture, and weird social vibes. Best are the professors.

Great! If they have your major you're set.

Aubrey

Friendly, if not sometimes a little pretentious, liberal thinkers, who are interested in current even and controversal topics. No particular religious affiliation although there is a notable percentage of Jewish students. Interest in sports and other campus activities varies among the students.

A small, liberal arts college with an excellent English and Fine Arts department. The campus is beautiful and cosy in winter. Wonderful sense of community. Most students are involved in the campus programs, groups and activities.

No, we didn’t totally mess up college, but I’m sure we could have done it better. Here are a couple of things you should consider this time around: Firstly, there’s no shame in using the Pass/Fail option, especially your first year. A difficult class or professor can influence more than just one semester. Your GPA is important in the long run and it’s better to have a Pass on your record than a C, which will lower you GPA and ultimately keep you from Cum Laude status. Also, don't allow that one bad professor deter you. There are many advantages to studying higher math, even if it isn’t your major. When it comes to campus life, take advantage of every opportunity, volunteer, get to know as many people as you can. Don’t try to find your niche so quickly; most of your classmates are smart and engaging people. Looking back, I wish I had gotten to know many of them my first year. It would have given me more time to enjoy their company. Otherwise, dress warmly and enjoy, you only get to go to college once and four years fly by.

Andrew

I love this place. But then again, what I looked for in a college is different from what many other people want. The size is intimate, the town of Gambier is charming, but limited to a few restaurants and a single market. The smallness of both bothers some people. It doesn't bother me at all but it comes down to personal preference. The campus often wins or does very well in "Most Beautiful Campus" rankings, and rightly so. There are a lot of trees, nearby farms, bike trails and dusty country roads through all of it. And the stars are AMAZING. Being in a rural area (albeit a quick free shuttle ride away from the much larger town of Mount Vernon, complete with Wal-Mart and fast food) annoys people. It's certainly a change from living in an urban or even suburban neighborhood. But it's also a great way to focus on four years of study and sort of hide away from the rest of the world until an entire lifetime of manically running around cities. Again, goes back to personal preference. In my opinion, this campus has a terrific atmosphere that needs to be experienced in person in a visit before anyone can make an educated decision about its merits. A key part of this is EVERYONE IS SO POLITE AND FRIENDLY. It's really difficult going back home and getting used to not being able to smile and say hello to every stranger I walk past in the street. It bothers me not being able to relate to many people back home--people who haven't heard of Kenyon or think the liberal arts isn't worth it...again, personal preference is important concerning this.

First-Year Sing. At the end of Orientation, they line all the first-year students up on the steps of Rosse Hall and they sing the four Kenyon songs, which they have been practicing, while the upperclassmen make as much noise as possible via shouting, obscure brass instruments, etc. It's a humorous, lighthearted, and only slightly disconcerting rite of passage experience to open up the Kenyon community to the next graduating class.

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Last year I always worked in the common room. It was loud but a nice atmosphere with friends nearby. The library is fine too, with lots of study spaces. But the best place to work, in my opinion, is to sit outside on a nice day or to go down to the Kokosing Gap Trail to sit on a bench.

The only person who would feel out of place here is one who thinks trying is for losers. Or maybe someone who absolutely hates the rural, isolated atmosphere. That said, Kenyon is home to a wide variety of students, most of whom are fairly laid back and understanding. There isn't a lot of racial diversity compared to other top liberal arts colleges. There IS a lot of geographic diversity and a growing pool of international students.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior I would tell myself to slow down. Don't get in a big hurry to head away from home to dome big four-year college. Take some community classes first to get use to how college classes work. I know you think that they are going to be just like highschool classes but there not, they are so much more advanced. The four-year college can wait. It will still be there in a couple years when you are fully ready to go, because with some college classes under your belt you have a world of possibilities at your doorstep. Do not let anyone discourage you though, because you will do great your senior year. You should still dump that guy and focus on your studies a little more, because now you have a husband who encourages you to live your dreams instead of dragging you down. Be brave and face your fears, because you never know what life has in store for you.

Gene

Kenyon is a small school which makes making friends really easy but also can get old if you don't decide to make the most of the opportunities available to you e.g. get involved with a bunch of student groups, study abroad etc. There are always great people you have yet to meet, even after living in such a small town for four years. Time on campus is spent studying at the library, working out at our amazing athletic center, partying in old kenyon or getting involved in some activity or others. There are a ton of relatively unknown beauty spots where you can swim in a nearby lake or the Kokosing river or go sledding. Being bored at Kenyon doesn't really exist as there's always something you should or could be doing. People complain about the food just because its something to complain about but alumni cannot wait to come back and visit somewhere where you can eat as much as you want for every meal without having to worry about wristbands, meal tickets etc. Kenyon kids have a ton of school pride and for good reason, for the most part they have the best 4 years of their lives there.

Small class sizes mean that your professors all know your name from day one. Some professors know them before you even come to class from the face directory and the community choir prof is known for naming all 100+ students in his class from memory at the beginning of each semester before having met his future students. Professors are one of the best parts of Kenyon, they love you if you show a desire to learn. Office hours allow students to get help out of class and hold intellectual conversations out of class. Students frequently debate topical issues out of class and continue discussions late into the evening. The Kenyon education is definitely geared towards learning for its own sake rather than towards getting a job but the excellent alumni network takes care of that for you in a lot of cases. Students are a lot more collaborative than competitive at Kenyon and often spend time they should be studying helping out friends or classmates that need help with something. All in all, you couldn't ask for a more enriching academic experience than that offered by Kenyon

Everyone is involved in something and has at least one activity they feel passionately about. As a two sport athlete and double major I didn't have a ton of spare time but I still worked on campus, was on the junior/senior class council and volunteered at the humane society, wiggin street elementary school and hotmeals. Frats and sororities are important to those involved and also to pretty much everyone that likes to party. All greek parties open up to the student body so they are a great place to dance, meet people and drink free beer.

That we are smart, interested in learning and quirky enough that we don't mind going off to college in the middle of nowhere in Gambier, Ohio.

Jerry

The best thing about Kenyon is getting to know people so well, so quickly. This can be a good thing and a bad thing. I'd change its location and size. The size, to me, is stifling. I think that it is too small, but coming from a large city, this has been quite an adjustment for me. People tend to react positively--if they know what Kenyon is--once I tell them where I attend. I spend most of my time either in my dorm, at the dinning hall, or at the library. There's no college town. The campus is the college town.

There is virtually NO racial or socio-economic diversity. This is quite bothersome to me, but it does not seem to affect anyone else. The minority and international students group together, not because they're unwelcome, but because they feel out of place. Everyone seems to be liberal-leaning. And most students know what goes on in the world, they just are, frankly, quite apathetic. Many Kenyon students are from cities in the West and East Coast and are proud of it. Different types of students interact, but there is a clear divide with the jocks. And everyone is secretly judging each other.

kenyon has been a bit of a disappointment for me. Academically speaking (keep in mind--ive only been here a semester!) and socially (repetitive and limited). there is almost no political activeness on campus that i've seen. people here are very friendly, but can be fake. i've found that kenyon is a bit more high school-y than i expected, maybe that comes with the size and the location, but don't expect people to be super-mature and to have completely outgrown high school. getting off campus is virtually impossible unless you want to go to the local wal mart for an hour. if you consider yourself a city person, don't come here. its SO isolated. I cannot stress this enough. You must love nature and be willing to stay in one place for months on end.

I found a lot of the students to be "cerebral", and there certainly are the hipsters and outdoorsy type, there's also many other types of kids that roam the campus.

Professors know my name, but keep their distance. My least favorite class has been into to philosophy, but that's a personal opinion (and the teacher was TERRIBLE). class participation is less common than i expected. kenyon students rarely have intellectual conversations outside of class, this has been my experience anyway. the level of intellectualism outside of class has been extremely disappointing for me. not to say that kids aren't smart--they just have other interests that consume their free time when not studying.

the frisbee team has become more popular, along with frats. athletic events are not popular at all. the dating scene is almost non existent, with the occasional drunken hook up that happens to turn into something more. I met my closest friends in my dorm. people party every weekend and every wednesday. if you don't drink, don't expect there to be much else to do, because the social life is strongly centered around getting drunk every weekend.

They're hipsters/cerebral/outdoorsy.

courtney

An education. I know how to think critically, read anything and be able to understand it. I have learned how to approach topics I know nothing about with an open mind so that I can better understand them. I feel like I could be thrown into almost any situation or job and be able to figure it out.

Not to be afraid to get involved with different activites and to take new classes. To really embrace what it means to go to a liberal arts college. To take a wide variety of classes and to learn to do what I love, not what is expected of me. College is great because you finally get to study what you want and talior your classes to your personality.

The campus community. That I really got to know my professors and that they cared about what me. Actually had a class held everyweek in my professors house. That I got an education, that I feel like I got my moneys worth. That all in all it was a great place and I had a great time. Would go back in a heart beat.

Eliza

Although people say that college will be the best four years of your life, the first semester will not be easy. Do not assume the ?freshman blues?, loneliness, homesickness, and doubt will just pass you by. At times you will feel helpless, and even if they say everyone is going through the same thing, it will not always seem apparent. You will read more than you ever have, do homework every weekend, discover every school is a party school, meet people from all backgrounds and deal with people who have always lived privileged lives. But eventually you will find people who appreciate you for who you are-who will have hysterically in depth conversations about time travel and philosophy at the lunch table- but it will be a process, a slow one at that. You will have to stand up for yourself, defend your rights in front of ornery professors, some you will hate, some you will love, some will invite you to dinner. Talk to people, find a support network, have hope and faith in yourself. Never give up. And even if the dessert is always guaranteed to be better than the real food, don?t eat it everyday.

The worst thing about Kenyon is that I am so far away from my home. Although I believe that going to school out of state is very important in terms of developing and growing as a person and learning so many life lessons, its just hard. If I ever really need my friends or my mom, the closest I can get to them is by phone or computer. Similarly, its hard to make friends because some people clump together instantly, leaving shy people like me to fend for themselves and work much harder to find a niche.

The most frustrating thing about Kenyon is that although its English department is prestigious and well established, it is not modest. Many of the professors make it seem that students should be honored to be in their classes and at times give no sympathy. It is almost like an exclusive club with a very low acceptance rate. Although many professors are very supportive, it only takes a few professors and English majors alike who are too hoity toity to make it a rather hostile environment when it should be welcoming and nurturing at such a small liberal arts school.

Mark

Cold and isolated in the winter and only decent in social life, but incredibly satisfying and inspiring in terms of intellectual growth and achievement.

Don't ;et a school sell itself to you. Choosing a college is about finding the best fit, not the most renowned.

intelligent, emotionally aware, quirky, outgoing, at least semi-artistic, open-minded, liberal

Kenyon College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.