La Sierra University

« See more reviews of La Sierra University

During the application process, college may appear synonymous to stress, competition, deadlines, and lack of sleep. Perhaps the nervousness of hoping for acceptance into our dream schools creates such an intimidating picture, but college is more than academics. No matter how rigorous a college program is, if the professors, classes, and atmosphere do nothing to help us, students, transition into a conscious development of where we are and how we want to live our lives, then our undergraduate experience will be incomplete and unsatisfactory. Academics are important, not so that we can regurgitate lectured information, but so that we can be inspired to learn about our world, its different perspectives, what our past teaches us; and most importantly, so that we can apply research and opinions in a meaningful way to our present. College is a transition, so we should look past general appearance and reputation. Each one of us enters college at different levels of experience and growth. We must remember that we are not made for a college?s success. Colleges are made for our success. In the end, it is a simple question of how well the university?s graduation robes will be tailored to fit us.

Senior status Kelsea: I have whizzed back through the portal of time three years. I have come to give you tips about how to make the next critical chapter of your life at college more financially settling. Taking four semesters off of school was a beneficial decision because you were able to learn an ample amount about working life and communicating in a career setting. You strongly developed diligent working habits that will be advantageous throughout your journey through academia and places of employment. In addition to these useful habits you acquired you also obtained abundant amount of cash. You were distracted by negative peer influences and unnecessary material possessions. So continue through with your decision to take a break because when you do enter college you are more prepared and appreciative of the opportunity. One major change could make alter the certainty of your financial situation throughout the start of your educational pursuit, this change requires a concept you will find foreign-saving. You are making about 20,000 a year and have very few financial obligations. Make a practical percentage to put away for savings each paycheck and stick to it.

My college experience is full of ups and downs. I've been through the stressful final weeks and the daily quizzes of science classes. But I have also been through the feeling of getting everything done and off my shoulders by completing and getting everything done on time. La Sierra University will always be known as my first college that I have attended and it will probably be the best. LSU was the beginning of my college life, where I continued to build my character and beliefs. I believe that I will forever carry and cherish what I have experienced there. Not only are the classes valuable but the friends made in the classes last a lifetime. You experience something different in each class: in english class you learn to voice your opinions, in Anatomy class you learn different ways to memorize within your groups, in math class you learn to do your homework in class and learn from the lecture at the same time. Each class at La Sierra has given me the opportunity to find ways of how to do well in that class by myself. LSU is a great school to attend and is of great value.

Conduct extensive research on the school, in terms of the school tradiation/history, financial aid, housing and whether the graduates feel as though their education in that school actually helped them once they were out in the real world. In terms of making the most out of a college experience, do not miss any orientation. Also, try to live on campus, at least for the first few semesters/quarters so that you can get to know more people & find out what kind of people will eventually be your friends. It's so hard knowing people when you live off-capus since you don't study with them or hang out with them once classes let out. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you're stuggling academically; most schools have tutoring centers where the tutors are students your age who've taken the class so they know how to help you. Don't let your advisor make all the decision for you: look up classes you need to graduate rather than relying on your advisor. Take advantages of your summers - look for internships and keep yourself busy since what you do in the summer counts after graduation.

First of all breathe. Yes, you are almost finished with high school and you fought dilegently to get here. You should be proud. Now think. Deep down inside you know what it is you love to do. Stop doubting yourself and go for it. The sooner you do, the happier and more satisfying your college experience will be. I know you're feeling anxious about leaving your friends and family back home, but trust me it gets easier. Much easier. You'll be busy meeting new friends and making memories that will last well past graduation. While your still in highschool, though, there are a few things you should do. 1) Apply to the colleges and universities that interest you. Look not only at what majors and minors they offer, but also at what type of lifestyle and culture they accomodate. Find a good fit. 2) Financial aid. Sounds daunting right? Don't worry, its easier than you think. Fill out the FAFSA and apply for all the grants and scholarships you can find. They're out there, trust me. Finally, 3) Set a goal for yourself and always work toward it. Don't give up. You'll be fine.

During my time at Laney College I have been pursuing a degree in theater arts, I have acted in one play and have done sound design for another. Gaining this experience of working in a theater as an actor and as a sound designer has helped me pursue my dreams of becoming a future artist in the Bay Area. While attending Laney College I was able to take part of an opportunity that would take myself and fourteen other students to Edinburgh,Scotland to perform our show Polaroid Stories by Naomi Iizuka at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe this upcoming August. To get there we have needed to raise $60,000 for airfare and festival payments. Gaining support from our community has been a challenge, but at the same time a great learning experience. What I have learned from trying to fund-raise all this money is to never give up on my dreams, when it either comes to our large goal or to my own personal goals of continuing my education in theater for the coming years. I will cherish my years at Laney College as some of the best of my life with the experiences it has given me.

My college experience has enabled me to grow internally not only intellectually but also emotionally. I have learned and trained my mind to higher levels that I never knew I could done if I had not attended college. I am fascinated by learning and continue to obsessed with new technology in programming and art, as well as business trends and theories I never new existed. I also have found that through my college experience, I have discovered myself in terms of leadership, friendship, growing my self-esteem and confidence, and trusting others. I have had wonderful professors who come to work daily hoping to teach the future leaders of America. When I saw their enthusiasm, I became even more excited and felt more responsible to earn my education as an investment in myself. I am truly grateful for having the opportunity to learn because so many children and young adults as well as older adults do not have this opportunity in third world countries and even in America. I want to take my skills and concepts I've learned and help make America and the world better.

Pray!!! College is going to be the most horrible and wonderful experience you've ever had. You will miss out on many things being away from your family, but you will gain many new experiences and friends for life. You will get homesick, you will cry, you will miss birthdays, people will die, but even still you need to stick with it. Also talk to your professors, they are people and will be concerned for your well being. They want to see you succeed probably just as much as you want yourself to. Socalize, despite how shy you are, the people are friendly and want to know more about you. A couple of weeks before school ends for summer break, start packing, you will not want to wait till the last minute, because there is no way you will finish before checkout. Stay focused, take notes and STUDY!!! Oh and just because you get money from financial aid does not mean you should go spending it randomly. And there is no food better than a home cooked meal so eat at home as much as possible. And avoid fast food, you will definitely get enough of it in college. SMILE!!!

Success. The one word that is most highly sought after by all human beings on the face of the Earth. The one word that describes, in fact, the base desire and goal of every person alive. The success of a baby is merely to be born, the success of its mother to give birth. Success is defined by a toddler to grow it's first tooth or to take it's first step. Later on in life, success takes on a different meaning - to learn, to grow, to experience new things, to make a name for one's self, to enjoy living. For a student, to succeed means to pursue and attain a higher education. College for me opens doors that I never even realized were there before. As a shy former-homeschooler with five siblings and not too many friends, attending college has been challenging in the sense that I must meet meet rigorous academic standards. I have done so, and have learned so much about myself- that I want to be a teacher and share the joy of learning about mitosis and the Constitution and algebraic functions. I have tasted my success in college... the success of learning.

Research different places, take the student population into consideration as well as the academic programs that are offered, and ways that the campus strives to be safe. While attending school, staying on top of one's work is KEY. As always, procrastination only makes a situation more difficult in the end. I believe one of the important things you need to really succeed in college is between 1-3 close friends that will help you do two things: 1. help you do well in school (help motivate you) & 2. know when it's the right time to have some fun. It's the type of people you hang around that will influence you. I could have done a way better job at finding that kind of friend. Though I enjoyed the company of the friends I did make, I feel that one friend in particular held me down a little. It's normal to feel down at times and happy other times. However, to always look at the negative side of things and/or to always complain, can really rub off and affect you. Such an attitude isn't going to help anyone. Choose wisely and have common sense!