La Sierra University

« See more reviews of La Sierra University

I advice parents and students to take a deep active role in college searching. Select the college that offers the best education for the money; a college that has a very supportive system of teachers and administrators and staff is a good one. Teachers at La Sierra are very encouraging of learning, they are engaging, they make learning a way of life. I would have selected La Sierra University the first time if I had'nt been influenced by my peers to go to the school of their choice. It was'nt a bad school, but it lacked the supportive system La sierra University offers and which is very important to me. The staff at La Sierra University is very professional, friendly, and compasionate. There are employment opportunities on campus where students get to use their thinking skills and learn new skills for their own professional advencement. Here, at La Sierra University, there are ammenities around campus: Student sport practice, Swimming pools, etc.. One of the best experiences students have is to make best friends from different countries.

The first thing that I would tell myself is "Remember what you are working for." I have had some challenges in my life, and money was often times an issue. I have had to miss out on different oppurtunities because of money. In high school, I did okay. I could, however, have done a whole lot better. I would tell myself, "Don't settle for just a B in that class. Strive for an A." Grades make a huge difference in how much schools offer you. I would also tell myself to get more involved extracurricular activites. Colleges love to see that you are involved with different things. I was involved in high school. I was Senior class president. But there was much more that I was capable of. The last thing I would tell myself is, "Jawon, keep applying for scholarships!" I would explain to myself that just because I didn't win these scholarships, doesn't mean I should just give up. I don't want to keep burdening my parents with the stress of helping me come up with money for school. "Keep pushing, Jawon. It will all be worth it in the end."

The right college and experience truly depends on who you are. No matter what others might mention about the school, it all depends on what you yourself are looking for. Perhaps what intrigues you is the social activities they offer every friday night, or maybe the special program orientated majors they have. Whatever it may be, the key success to the right college is your needs and wants. Many of the students I have talked to agree that when making your final decision, make sure you visit and stay at the campus. Experience it first hand and don't settle on other people's words and advice. Once you decide on that dream college, live it up! Involve yourself at orientation and get to know your fellow classmates. Go join that pre-professional club! It'll only reap tons of benefits for you! Involve yourself in your school, it'll only bring positive outcomes during your four years. Involvement leads to your enjoyment and love for the school. But don't let extracurriculars take up all your time! Remember, academics first.

I believe that the most valuable experience I have gained while attending La Sierra University is the importance of helping others. It does not matter where I’m on campus there is always someone helping somebody else. From professors to students, students to professors, even faculty, we are a family and we enjoy helping each other. I was also lucky to see this through the SIFE (Students in Free Enterprise) team. As we work on projects for competition, we help others in our community and even in third countries such as Haiti. Our passion to help is not so that we may win a trophy, but so that we may be able to make a change in the world; we strongly encourage others to do so as well. We believe that by helping others we may create a butterfly effect and help the world become aware of the situation others live in. I can truly say that being here in LSU has increased my understanding of the value of helping those in need. I can truly say that LSU has changed my life, and now I can help make a change in the World!

If I were allowed to see myself as a senior in high school, I would at first look at me and see the changes that I've undergone in just one year. I'd take my younger self by the arm and begin preparing to inform me how college is, and how different it is from high school. I would probably joke around with myself, saying that college isn't really my thing and not waste my time in going; just something to break the ice. I would probably fail at this seeing as how I am very bad at keeping a straight face though. I'd explain how college life is no walk in the park, like many of us daring to embark on that step know by now, but I'd want that message above all to sink in: it is NO walk in the park. Basically I would do everything in my futuristic power to show that college, although enjoyable, nurturing and valuable to learn more about one self is not an easy feat. It requires more than simple essays and eagerness. It requires strength to want to accomplish something, and make something of someone's life.

Believe in yourself, and work every day as if you are the hardest studying student on campus. Don't worry about not knowing what you want to do for the rest of your life, or what you want to study for the rest of your college career. Just go into college and study what interest you the most, its OK to figure it out along the way. Just make sure as you work through college, you have a goal and you work towards the goal. If the goal changes along the way its OK. Just be sure to work towards something and if you do, you will achieve the greatness you are hoping for. Lastly, do not worry about working while in school. Focus on your education and if you need to take school loans, thats OK. Get the scholarship and grants you can, then focus on your studies. I worked through my first three years of college and it was very difficult to stay awake during class. During my last year I was taking all my upper division scinece classes and did not work and it was very easy. So save the work for after college.

Attending college has been a very valuable but a roller-coaster ride experience. I always wanted to work in the medical field so I started with NOVA, but the process was too long and I needed to work in order to cater for myself at the age of 18. Whiles working, I came across a brochure that ECPI College of Technology sent me and I thought that I could maybe register in the Practical Nurse Program in order to get a head start in my medical career as I originally planed. I started without a car, but with hard work and favor, I obtained a car after a few months of struggling. I then I had to take a leave of absence after a few months because I needed to pay a sum of money and I could not. I, however, went back this fall and things have been stable. There's still a lot I have to pay so that is why I have applied for this scholarship. I am a girl wiho wants to make a difference in her life and in others so please help me to make the difference by accepting my application for this scholarship.

I was accepted into Shawnee Community College as a Junior in high school. Since then, I have accumulated nearly a third of the required 64 credit hours to earn an Associate's Degree. SCC offers dual-credit courses through the high school I attended. Without these classes, I would be starting from scratch most likely in the Fall of 2010. I also took a Psychology telecourse in the Spring 2010 semester. During the Summer 2010 semester, I am signed up to take a Bookkeeping class online and Sociology as a telecourse. SCC offers transferrable degrees; this allows students to get a jump start on their education, without the high tuition of a university and lets them make the transition from full-time high-school student to full-time college student a lot easier by staying close to home for the first couple of years or so. Since I took advantage of this opportunity, I can graduate in only one year with my Associate's of Applied Science degree and continue at the university of my choice.

What I appreciate most about La Sierra University is their willingness to allow students to make their own life decisions, while providing guidelines and reasonable restrictions to keep students safe. Furthermore, the educational and emotional support on campus is phenomenal. Faculty, staff and administration are consistent in helping students succeed and making their time and experience here worthwhile. Since attending the university I have received a higher appreciation for education and I have grown to value knowledge more than ever before. I find myself excited to open books and read, because I know that the information I gather will be of great use to me in the future. The knowledge I attain will also empower me to educate others, which La Sierra University encourages everyone to do. Giving back to the community and countries abroad is a major emphasis on campus and students that partake in these opportunities are well equipped for the position.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would definitely have some words of wisdom to say. Being a university student in my sophomore year I believe I have come a long way from being a senior in high school. Moving over two thousand miles away from home allowed me to become more independent. It made my skin thicker, but not before I became extremely homesick. I would tell myself that the transition from moving away to attend college would be my biggest challenge because it was against myself. I would also tell myself maybe to enjoy the college life more. I was so absorbed in my academic life that I believe I let some social aspects fall aside. Yes studying is very important but college is also about living in the now, and have some fun. Looking back now, I can see how much I've grown over two years. So yes I though the transition was difficult it was well worth it to see where I am now.