Lander University

« See more reviews of Lander University

Dear Senior Becca, Heed my warning: start applying for scholarships now! You should probably also start putting some money from your two jobs away for tuition. School is ridiculously expensive and it's harder to get scholarships as you get older. Start getting situated and look into housing because it'll make it so much easier on you. Also, you should keep up with studying after you graduate. Do not stop learning things. It'll make it so much easier once you go to college if you keep your mind fresh on the subjects you're going to be studying. Get a job where you have to use your brain for calculations and such to keep your mind strong. I hope you actually listen to me because I know you're stubborn and think everything will work out on it's own, but stop procrastinating! Get on it now. Trust me. Love, Your Future Self

If I were a high school senior, I would tell myself to work hard and always give my best. I would tell myself about the different distractions that I would come across in college, and how I shoulld always stay focused and never let anything cloud my better judgement. I would tell myself, the key to being succesful in college is to study and to spend your free time wisely (mostly on your school work). Many people can get side-tracked their first semester with all the fun, and non-school related activities, so you have to stay focused. You will meet many new people and will be introduced to many new things, but always make sure you are around the right peoplpe and things. For fun, it is great to get involved in different school organizations instead of participating in off-campus activities that can get you in to trouble. Do well in high school, so that you can baecome part of a great university, and once you get there, continue to do well so you can becoome part of a great company, industry, organization, or etc. when you graduate form college. Just study hard and do your best.

If I knew what I know now I wouldv'e focused on my studies. I also wouldv'e spent more time preparing for the ACT. There were several colleges that I wanted to attend but couldn't get in because of their required GPA and ACT/SAT scores. When my mother was telling me to study more for exams, I shouldv'e listened to her. (Mother knows best) I worked an almost fulltime job my junior year of highschool and this affected my grades also. I also realized that the more College Prep or Advanced classes that you take, makes your academic record look good. I didn't start these classes until my Junior year of high school. Why??? I was afraid of failing the classes. I took them and to my surprise I did very well. The college that I chose to attend in the end, I feel was the best decision that I made. I am a quiet person and the schools' campus is small . I have made a smooth transition into college life. I have also learned better study habits and have learned from my high school year mistakes not to take them through my college life.

Dear Tiffney, I hope you are enjoying your senior year of high school. I am so proud of you for accomplishing so much throughout the years up to this point. You have so much to be proud of with your 3.5 GPA, involvement with Student Government Association, being in the Latin Dance Club and double majoring in Performing Arts and Journalism. While some are so eager to get high school over with, you always had a positive outlook and always found something new to be apart of. I wanted to let you know that you are about to step into the next phase of your life. College is a completely different ball field, a new place, new people and new adventures. You have to stay totally focused when it comes to your academics because college will challenge to help you achieve the knowledge you need for the future. This is a sense of what the real world is like, so don’t be afraid to join organizations and experience what college has to offer. I really want you to live life to the fullest and enjoy every moment of it. I wish you the best and much success!

I am a decade older than you now. As many times as I’ve wished for the opportunity to go back and start over, the wisdom of my years has taught me a very valuable lesson. Looking back now, I would not change a thing. So I will tell you this… You will make mistakes. A lot of mistakes. Your life will not be easy, and failure will become as familiar to you as your mother’s voice. You will get into trouble and try things you shouldn’t. You will love and you will lose. You will drop out, and you will feel hopeless and lost. But in the end, you will find yourself. Your life will be that of struggle, but you will overcome those obstacles. You will learn from all the mistakes and failures, and you will come out stronger, smarter, and with an iron resolve to achieve your dreams and meet your goals. And you will. You will defy the odds. And on that day when you finally get your degree, the very moment will resound from your being as a chest-pounding affirmation of human triumph and will. Because you knew you could do it.

The advice I would give to anyone trying to find the right college and making the most out of the experiment would be simple. I would advise them to research their college and make sure it s the school they want to attend. I would then tell them to stay focused, no matter what the situation is because once grades drop, its hard to pull them up. I would also tell them to join some clubs, volunteer, make the best they can out of school....you know study hard, do something to relieve stress such as hang out with friends, and study some more. I would tell them that education is one of the top important things in life and without it you've accomplished basically nothing. The reason my advise would be so short and simple is because that's the kind of advise that most people remember and its helpful. An advise thats 15 minutes will be used wisely rather than one thats an hour long because of its length. An hour long advise will not stick to a person as well as a 15 minute one, hense the reason for my short advise.

Back in time I would tell myself as a high school senior, not to freak out about scholarships. During the course of my first year of college, I constantly told myself that I going to fail and lose all my scholarships by the end of the year. When test scores and homework assignment grades started coming in and not being all that great, I got more stressed out and began missing assignments. I would tell myself that I would do better the next time but, I still wasn’t doing well. I played it off by pretending I didn’t care and that it doesn’t matter. By the end of the year, I had really lost all my scholarships. Back in time I would tell myself to find some way, any way to get all studying and homework done in the library. I have found that studying in the dorm room can bring about numerous distractions and increase procrastination. For a long time I have always hated writing papers. Whenever I got stuck, I would find something else to do or push it back to the next day until it’s a day before it’s due.

If I could go back in time to where i was a senior in high school to give myself advice about college I would tell myself alot. First i would tell myself to keep my grades up. College is so tough and their grading scale is different then high school. So its easy for your grades to go down the drain. Second, I would tell myself to stay on top of my work and take advantage of the free tutors Lander University has to offer. It sucks failing class. I learnd the hard way not taking my first semester serious. I faild 3 classes. This brought my gpa way down and I got till the end of the summer to bring it up to keep my life scholarship. I was disapointed in myself, but this semester I am on top of my game. Third i would tell myself to dont fall under peer presure. I fell under this about going out knowing i had an early class the next morning, had homework, or other work to do. There are more thing I would tell myself but these are the main things I would tell myself to prepair me for college.

If I could run into the Mya of the beginning my senior year of high school, I would grab a hold of her and say, "Take yourself more seriously! Find a school that you really want to attend; research it thoroughly, visit the campus if possible, and do everything that you can to get there." The problem that I encountered my senior year was that I didn't believe in myself enough, and I didn't want to ask for help in trying to find the right fit for college. I applied to an Ivy League college--which if I had puched myself more, I would have had a better shot at being accepted, or at least wait-listed--but I didn't get accepted. Because I put all of my hope into getting into this one place, I hadn't really thought much about any other colleges, so I had to scramble at the last minute to find a college, just so that I would be enrolled and attending one. I regret my decision so much, because I cut my potential short and settled on a college that only offered some of the qualities I wanted.

Thus far in my college experience, one thing that I have gotten out that I cherish above all is my new skill of problem solving. Growing up, I was'nt big on solving my own problems. I would always seem to count on receiving a free pass or someone else doing my job for me. I pretty much was spoiled throughout my years of education and once I arrived in college, everything changed up real fast. My first semester, I am almost certain that none of my professors knew my name and that was no ones fault but myself. I realized after failing miserably in two of my courses that it is no longer the teachers job to know their students hence, it was time for me to grow up and go do things myself. I had to go find teachers during their office hours and get to know them. I also had to put forth many more hours in the library than I ever had prior to. My college experience has done well by me and I am just greatful that God gave me the strength to make it this far because not many can endure the task.