Langston University

« See more reviews of Langston University

Education for today?s young professionals has many impacts on young professionals today. Even though you have to learn extra to become a professional, your helping yourself financially, how not to make the same mistakes other previous professionals made, and you?re helping your country become more competitive and independent towards other ethnic groups in other countries. Financially, people with higher education can extend others potential and enhances job prospects. Professionals who have attended college achieve more benefits such as vacation time, health care, more interest earning assets, and greater home equity. Most people choose there profession based on the salary instead of the type of work that is required. Going to school for higher education is the best thing to do because of the economic crisis we are trapped in today. With supply going down and demand going up, those who have higher education could help be the professional companies need to create a plan to help balance the uneven economical situation. In order to become a professional with higher power and have a lot of confidence in what you do, you would need to have a lot of experience, which can help us learn from previous professionals mistakes.

My parents did not attend college, but always had set "college" as a goal for me since childhood. I guessed their reason was so that I could have a better life than them, perhaps having greater earning potential or a wider array of job opportunities. However, having experienced college myself, I have learned that the college experience has helped me attain far more than financial security. These things cannot be quantified in dollars and cents, but have added a richness to life that I value beyond money. The greatest experience for me has been meeting professors and classmates from all over the country and world. I have learned so much in these interactions. The knowledge, insights, and stories that they each bring have broadened my understanding of the world, enabling me to imagine and think things that I would never have imagined or thought before. I have thoroughly enjoyed classes where discussion and critical thinking is encouraged. There is freedom to represent my own points of view, which encourages me to continue to shape the ideas that I already have within me. The college experience has helped me to become more of who I was meant to be.

I attended University of California, Riverside and got a BS in Biology and now I am attending Cypress community college to get an R.N. degree. I have learned and gained so much from my college experience. I have learned that there is no such thing as a hard or easy class, it all depends on the way you study for that class. Thinking this way has helped me in my life, situations are controlled based on how you deal with them. I have also gained tremendous respect for elderly people who return to school, just to gain the knowledge. The biggest thing I learned is time management; In the nursing program if your not keeping up with the schedule of readings and skills, you really fall behind and its hard to catch up. So managing life with school is essential in completing the program. The value of attending college is uncomparable because it helps people grow and shape peoples thoughts. There is so much variety in our colleges, we have people from different ages, races, and ethnicity. I have learned about the different cultures by attending college which will he handy no matter what profession I get into.

Parents and students should do extensive research on their college picks. Ask to speak with the department head of interest and tour the university. Ask if previous graduates can be spoken to. Inquire about meeting with some of the professors, and try to pick a univeristy somewhat based on the environment in which also best describes your personality. I want to excel as a professional. I have a desire to be a leader in the health care system and an advocate for people of less socioeconomic class. I am coming from the working poor class, and I want to exceed to the top and give tremendous support to those from my same class, by bringing action and success to suggest that "we too, can succeed." I can provide excellent social services and I will strive to grant all people with equal opportunity, as well as to prove through actions of self-sacrifice, self-discipline, and self-motivation a brilliant mind can become trained. This is who I am and this make me a good college student and a valuable person to society. I am worthy of your scholarship and I would be honored if blessed to receive it.

I would advice both parents and/or students to begin their college search early, preferably while a freshman in high school. It would help to request information from that college, as well as, visit the campus for a tour to get the feel of the environment. Compare all the advantages and disadvantages of different colleges to see which one is the best fit. Additionally, try to talk to individuals that go to that college to recieve insight on what the college experience is like at that school. To make the most out of one's college experience is different for every individual at a every college, but there are still things that could be adviced. Getting involved in campus life is a great way of making new friends while supporting the school. Furthermore, trying new and different experiences, like sports or choir, can help one to discover aspects of their life they hadn't known existed. Lastly, remember that college is about getting an education, so don't be afraid to ask for tutoring or form study groups to get the help you need to successed.

I've only had limited college experience and that was while attending Hiigh School. I feel that it's very valuable now because I have a daughter that depends on me to make sure that all her needs are met. Its valuable for me to attend school to provide a better life for not only my daughter and myself but to assist my family, which consist of two disabled parents that are currently providing for my sister, cousin, myself and daughter. A college degree will be able to help me get my foot in the door to make a better life for us. With me winning this scholarship it would be of great value to me, it would help me accomplish my goal of the first in my family to recieve a degree. I've over come some difficult situations with being shot at the age of nineteen and alomost losing my life and a car accident a short while after my twenty-first birthday. I have let the shooting hold me back from life and I can no longer continue to live in a shell. Its time I do something that will benifit me forever and always.

I would encourage myself to continue to study hard. Grades are extremely important. I would warn myself just how easy it is to become distracted and I would have to surround myself with people with the same short term goals. I would spend as much time as I could with my family. Most kids my age can't wait to leave so they won't have ANYONE to tell them what to do. I didn't realize just how much I would miss everyone. How much I took for granted. I would tell myself to sit back and absorb all that I could talking with my family about life or just the weather. I would run around the house with my dogs because sometimes I wonder if they will remember me for my visits home are getting so far and in between. I would get up early and sit with my mom because she says its much more peaceful and beautiful. I can spend as much time trying to understand just what that means because getting up early is NOT a good thing! I would say enjoy HS as long as you can because the REAL work is ahead!

I absolutely love Anna Maria College. My experience there is what I want most in life, and I know that my life has been what it should be. If I could redo my life before I got to college, though, I would have worked much harder to find a job that would interest me and help me to earn money to pay for my experience. It is worth each and every penny, but it is certainly a challenge to come up with enough money each semester to pay. There is nothing else that I would think of changing. I went in knowing that I would love being there and I truly do. I love people and have made the best friendships there that will last forever. And, I got so involved; too involved really, but it is a wonderful thing. To anyone considering Anna Maria, please come to campus and meet us. It is so beautiful! You will love it! Ask for help and guidance if you need it, especially financially, and get involved as soon as you can. This will change your life for the better.

Dear Past Amber, First things first, everything is going to be just fine! I just want to remind you that there is more than one way to cook a duck. The same thing goes for our education! Take full advantage of all the avenues available to learning. Enjoy that first year on campus. Get comfortable with the lay of the land. After that, move off campus and take the money you save and put it towards studying abroad. The trip you take to the Dominican Republic will be unbelievably life changing! You can add to our memories, life experiences and education if you also go to Africa and Malaysia. College is NOT a stepping stone! It is part of the foundation for the rest of our life. So don't go to every party, but do take time for every conversation. Ask every question! And when you meet that shy guy named Chris that you think is amazing, let him know! He feels the same way about you. Seize EVERYDAY! Love, The Older and Wiser one.

The best advice i would give to perspective parents and or students looking for the right college to attend would be that first and foremost you have to choose a place where you will be happy. You should choose a college where you feel as though you will not be just another student that attends this school but a student that feels important and is receiving the right amount of time with his or her professors. You should attend a school where you feel as though you will receive an education that will benifit you and help you achieve your goals. In addition, in order to make the best of your college experience you should avoid keeping yourself cooped up in your dorm room. You should involve yourself in on campus orginizations and activities that pertain to your interests. By involving yourself in on campus activites you are meeting your peers, making life long friends, and learning about your school history and what it has to offer.