Lawrence Technological University

« See more reviews of Lawrence Technological University

When looking for an appropriate college for you or your student, it is very important to consider what degree that you or your student are persuing. Doing a lot of research will present to you the school with the most appropriate program in your or your students prospective field of study. Then consider cost, financial aid, distance from home, and living conditions. I recommend that freshman or new transfer students spend at least one semester in student housing. This will help to instil a student network for friends, study groups, and advice from students who have experience with the school. Also, school is going to cost more than just tuition and food plans; adjust your financial status to sustain this extra amount. Consider trips home, money for transportation to and from grocery stores and off campus forms of entertainment. Students do need a break once in a while. Also, try to involve yourself with the school through clubs, sports, or any other kind of extracurricular means. Most of all, approach college with an open mind and a positive outlook. This will help to give you the most out of your college experience.

Plan. Plan for college. Save money, take your time to pick the right university for you, talk to the professors if you are able to, visit the campus, and look into as many scholarships as possible. Personally, I love my university and my position at this school. However, college life is about studying and breaking free from your childhood. When a student has to focus on their finances and aren't able to put the effort that is needed, into their student life, then they aren't recieving the experience that they deserve. Visit the universities you are considering to attend. Take a tour; talk to advisors and professors, and even talk to some of the students that are walking around. Ask them all what they think of the campus and the university as a whole. Ask them for any advice they can give as existing students and LISTEN to what they have to say. People with first hand experience always know better than those that just study the experience rather than living it. Last, get involved. Play sports, act in plays, compete in class related competitions, join a club. Research what you enjoy and get involved. Enjoy college.

The best way to find the right college is to do your research. First, find out what schools have the degree(s) you are interested in. Next, take time to research the schools and talk to people who may have gone there. If possible, visiting the school is best. Many schools have some sort of visit day and offer tours, take advantage of these. You can also visit a school's website, which can give you a good idea about the school. A nice, helpful, organized website is a good sign. Consider the size of the school and average class sizes. Smaller classes can make personal communication with a professor a lot easier. To make the most of your college experience, you need to get involved with activites that interest you. (Homework should come first!) Fraternities could be an option for you, but pick one that actually helps the community, instead of one that spends dues money on beer. After all, you do go to college to get a better education, so don't just pay money to go to a never-ending party. Most importantly, enjoy what you are studying!

When I was a high school senior, I was having trouble understanding why life was so important. Of course, this was a part of the depression side effect from the medicine that I was on for seizure control, and to go back in time would allow me to inform my younger self that “I have a strong spirit to fight against the medication side effects.” If given the chance, I would remind myself that I am fortunate to be living in the U.S.A and I shouldn’t waste time lying around as there are more important things to do during the last year of high school. In hindsight, I should have taken a more proactive role in understanding what I was going through, health wise, and asked for a change in medicine when the side effects became too much. Doing so would have allowed me to finish high school more smoothly, instead of a stressed-out semester that I went through. I could have also taken the advice to start applying to college scholarships as an early search could help me be more financially prepared to transfer to a private university this fall.

The advice I would recommend is to let the students decide what they would like to do with their lives. Yes parents should be involved to an extent but lets look at it this way; The parent have lived their life , now it is time for the student to make an adult decision. So to all the students out there, the main thing would be to look at the school that fits your needs. Dont look for schools that dont care about you. Look for the school that will expand your mind, body, and soul . The school that will shape you to the best of their ability and to make sure you are ready to accomplish things you probably never thought you could do. The best school I believe for any student and parent is the one who satisfies the educational , mental, social, and financial aspects of the student and parent. That is really the only advice I have to give, I have attended for three years and have not once looked back and regreted my choice. Yes I have days I wish I were not there but that happens to everyone, but I look back and enjoy the experience

The advice that I would give to myself is after graduating from high school, is staying focus on what I wanted to do with my life. Taking the Myer-Briggs test would have helped me focus on what I wanted as a career, and then choosing a University that would have the program that I wanted. Going to Lawrence Technological University wasn't a bad choice in attending school, because I learned alot and at the time, and it served its purpose. Going on more college tours would have been an adventure that I should have explored more, even though the two University's that I wanted to attend to Colorado University and Lawrence Technological University were my main choices, attending a college tour would have prepared me more for future studies. Knowing how to network with other students and professors would have been a good choice; seeking out a mentor that would help guide me throughout my education plan would have been crucial. I would say to myself then to steady the course, and hold on.

I would tell myself to not make decisions that affect the the present, but to look at what the future could bring. My parents always told me that if I stayed at home for college, they would help me pay for a car. It was an incentive for us to stay at home and simply keep our cost of living down. I did not look much at colleges. I chose a college near home that had the majors I was looking in to. The tuition at the school I chose is more than the cost of both tuition and room and board combined at any of the public universities that I looked at. That was not a large concern as a high school senior. I never had to worry about finances. I just knew that I wanted a car and a school that I would not have to transfer from. I had been to seven schools by the time I went to college and was determined to choose one that I could stay at for a four-year degree. I should have looked more at what the cost was per credit and was the best fit for me.

Students in high school who want to have a successful career should start thinking about what it is that they want to do. Think of what is important and what you want to do. Then research and figure out what career path matches with those goals. When you know that, then you can make a good choice of what college to spend the next 4 years or so at. Talk to people. Once you get to college, make sure you keep up with what is happening in classes and around campus. Get involved. Be active. Be social. Just don't let those things get in the way of your education, which is the reason you are spending the money to go to college. You or your parents are not paying for you to sleep through boring classes. If you don't understand what is going on in your class, talk to the professer. They are there to help. Take advantage of the resources offered to you by the college. They are there for your benefit.

Don't count on any funds you don't already have in your accounts. Save early. If you know what you want to do go to the school that has made a name for itself in that field. go to the cheasy freshmen pre-semester events at the very least it is something to make fun of with other students as an ice breaker. Try have conversations with everyone students (not just your friends) faculty (not just your own) Studnet services staff (they can help you or tell you where to get it) and even matenence/janitorial staff just say hi everyonce in a while get to know them and you wont be the one with the broken whatever all semester and you may just learn a few campus secrets that can save you time and money. Keep an eye on your spending. Most importantly budget your time school, work, play, excercise, YOU time, homework. Jump at opportunities. Have fun it'll be the best time of your life.

Finding the right college is really just about finding where the student is comfortable, and where the student can really see themselves becoming a part of a community. Everything about the school should be taken into account, class size, campus size, dorms, food, cost, academics, social activities, facilities, the surrounding area, etc. In order to get the most out of the college experience, the student has to be able to know where to go to get resources, whether it be for homework, a job, or finding the group of friends that they will know for the rest of their lives. The best way to be sure that a college is right for a student is for him/her to visit the college, sit in a class, spend the night in the dorms/apartments, take a tour, hang out with current students, to really get a feel of what life would be like at that college.