Linfield College-McMinnville Campus

« See more reviews of Linfield College-McMinnville Campus

If a challenging class curriculum is not in your agenda, Linfield may not be the best choice. Linfield takes its academic quality seriously and strives to prepare its students not only for graduate school, but for life after college. There are many opportunities to be entertained on campus, but responsibility in recieving a great education is a characteristic professors at Linfield show. Professors at Linfield do not want to see students fail, and they will push and encourage their student, but they will not accept students who show no passion in learning.

Students who prefer a large campus in a big city would not like Linfield College. With the average class size being 30 students, there is a lot of teacher-student communication. If a student does not like small classes, they would not like Linfield. Linfield College is also a NCAA Division III varsity athletic program, so they do not offer athletic scholarships. Linfield is a strong community where there are many opportunities to meet people, so if a person likes being in the shadows, they would not like this small liberal arts college.

Someone who really craves that "city" atmosphere -- Linfield College is in McMinnville, Oregon and it's pretty centrally located. It's an hour away from Downtown Portland, and hour away from the coast and some great beaches, only two hours to the mountain if you're into skiing... But McMinnville is a small town, and Linfield is a big part of the community. There are some great places to go on Third Street, and even though everyone jokes about the sidewalks rolling in early in the evenings, there is alot happening in this community.

The school has a definite "preppy" feel about it and it's mostly white. That doesn't mean anyone shouldn't attend, but the social environment may discourage some people. It definitely took me awhile to get used to, as I grew up pretty poor and in a very diverse environment. I think there's a place for just about everyone, though. If you're the kind of person who likes to hide in the back of a giant lecture hall, you're out of luck. The classes are small and the professors know everyone, which I personally love.

A person who is extremely introverted or is looking forward to the typically-seen, cliche version of college where students are crammed into one room listening to lectures from professors and expected to succeed. That situation does not exist at Linfield. The classes have a nice student-teacher ratio and professors are accessible, not calous and unfriendly.

Students who are looking for a large college atmosphere should not attend Linfield. Those who also want to be able to slide by in classes by not attending will definitely be noticed by professors, and be given grades accordingly. It is a very personal experience, and those who simply want to party away their college careers will not flourish there.

People who are very much into urban life, should not attend Linfield. The school and town, is more aimed at "outdoorsy" oriented people rather than those preferring the fast paced living of city life. If you're a shopper, clubber, or other urbanite, than Linfield is not the school for you.

You shouldn't attend this school if you're not excited about learning and okay with stepping outside your comfort zone once in a while. Linfield is definitely a school that is focused on learning, and some of my best experiences have been when I allowed myself to try something new.

Someone that shouldn't come to Linfield is someone who doesn't work. I have seen some of my friends flunk classes because they are too lazy to sit down and write an essay. If you do your work you will be fine. Don't bother coming if you plan on being lazy the whole way through.

Someone who's looking for a big college experience and a busy campus. We're a good liberal arts school and we have a Greek system, but it's nothing compared to the big state schools. Also someone who's looking to slide through college. Definitely not the place for them.