Lock Haven University

« See more reviews of Lock Haven University

Michele, you are about to step into your role as an adult. You have many interests and you seem very excited to get out there and taste life. If you are willing, I have some foresight for you to consider that may prove very helpful in your future happiness and success. First, start investing. Learn about investing. Contact a retired investor for guidance. Next, consider a savings account and budget and really enjoy the summer work with the Forest Service-it is a perfect fit with your schooling. In your childhood, you picked up on the habit of getting involved with alot of things, but for psychological and various reasons, you have a fear of completing things and that you aren't very smart. The truth is, you have some learning challenges, but they are not insurmountable. you will learn to work with them. Put it in your head every day you will finish school with a degree in what your heart loves-environmental studies and ecology. Consider a minor in psychology. This is your passionate purpose. See yourself at graduation, with family and friends, celebrating your accomplishments-excited about where this will take you. Mostly, enjoy each moment fully!

Choosing a college is easily one of the most important decisions one has to make in his or her lifetime. Every school offers different majors and degrees and every school is known more for specific subjects. When researching schools and determining which one to choose, one must keep in mind the quality of courses, social aspects in and out of the classroom, degrees offered, and the effectiveness of professors. To get a complete understanding, online research is not completely reliable as some information is biased and one-sided. Therefore, orientations, campus tours, and communicating with enrolled students in the same field or major as the prospective student are incredibly important when narrowing the choices at hand. Although students can get a lot out of a quick visit or a brief chat with current students, it is recommended to make at least one more serious look at the school one wants to attend before finalizing the decision. With the price of tuition continually on the rise, a wrong choice in schools can be devastating. With this in mind, make sure to take the appropriate steps forward in finding the school that fits.

I am currently attending Chaffey College. I expect to transfer to a four year college in 2011. Because of family reasons I have struggled to get back to school and as a result I greatly appreciate the opportunity for an education. College has opened my mind to new concepts, ideas, cultures, theories, and people; all of these new opportunities have enriched my life immeasurably. I have found passion and delight for subjects I once thought frightening. College is not to be missed or mistreated. I have a 3.94 grade point average because I put effort into each class. This past year I had cancer, even battling disease I would not quite college. I believe the degree of effort one puts into class is the degree of return one receives from class. This effort has changed my life and I am certainly the better for it. I have has so many truly wonderful professors that I intend to go into teaching when I graduate. I enjoy my time in class, working early in the morning on homework, and studying new subjects. I am more aware, civically minded, enriched, educated, and grateful because I have had the privilege of attending college.

Future Self, listen up. College is a great experience over all, so take my word for it and eliminate the little concerns. You've grown up with experiences that have furnished you with all the skills you'll need to not only meet expectations, but surpass them. The resiliency you've acquired over the years will more than adequately help you manage the little challenges that will come along, so don't spend too much time or money on yourself in preparation for college. There are better things to do with your time right now, like solidifying childhood friendships, researching career possibilties, and spending time with your family. Trust me, you are taking for granted the love, friendship, and good advice that is so readily available to you right now. I can't tell you how much longer they will be in your life, so make your time with them worth every minute. Regarding the practical items of your education? You'll study abroad and everything will become clear. So get to work on your favorite language. The world is about to get much smaller, and if you follow my advice you'll be a humanitarian worker in no time.

Do you remember when you were in sixth grade and they told you that in high school you would only write in cursive? Writing in cursive didn?t turn out to as important as you thought it would be. In high school you take state standardized test and are told that academics are the most important. You may wonder if college is going to be test after test. Academics in college are important. You should read your assignments and take them serious, but in reality you are not always going to be perfect. College is about learning and experiencing new things. What you learn at college is not confined to a classroom. Living in the dorms you will experience new people and new cultures. Don?t be afraid to talk to people, learning how to communicate with new people is an important skill. Do not be afraid to join clubs or participate in student government. Being able to balance academics and activities is a preview of balancing a career and a social life. The most important thing is that you are happy. You should not go over the top, but find a balance that you are comfortable and happy with.

To me finding/chosing the right school for a student looking for higher education is obviously situational, based on that person. The advice I have to offer is quite simple... The student and the parents should find it affordable (to their needs), academically and socially equal (there should be a happy medium), find the school that fits your size preference (larger versus smaller), make sure the schools you are applying to in have the opportunites that you are interested in for extra curricular activites. But mostly look for a school who is willing to help you should you need it, professors that love their jobs and students who love being there, because chances are, you will too. Look for something that will challenge you...that is the only way one can excel in anything they chose to do. If its too easy, its not worth it; if its too hard, you'll be too stressed out; but if you find it just right for you (challenging yet fun) you'll find yourself excelling in everything you want and more. Good luck, and never give up on your dreams...making them come true is up to you.

As a high school senior I was in a very stressful situation. I would advise myself to not worry about the things going on at home and with my parents. I found it very distracting dealing with problems at home and adjustments to school and being angry becasue my first choice school and athletic dreams were abruptly diminshed, that I could have spent less time dwelling on how much I missed my friends who understood me and could have been making more. I would have gotten even more involved even earlier in my first semestser and spent way less money. I would have taken more general education classes first semester and entered as an undeclared major for at least my first semester. Most of all I would have told myself to keep the same drive I had when I got here. It got me through the tough times with roommates and making friends, and I would have told myself to be more confident. It took me too long to realize how intelligent I really am, and that i underrated myself way to much at first. I would tell myself to be more confident, and that I would make it through.

When I was in high school I knew I wanted to go to college, but wasn’t sure what degree I wished to obtain. If I was able to go back in time and give myself advice I would have told myself that I wanted to become a nurse. This simple advice would have saved me a year and I would already be half way through earning my degree. Instead I enrolled in college for the fall of 2012 as an undeclared student. I discovered from my first semester of college at Lock Haven University that I wanted to become a nurse. This entailed transferring to my college’s branch campus, as LHU does not offer the nursing program on main campus. The nursing program begins in the fall semester. When I realized I wanted to become a nurse I made arrangements to take the nursing entrance exam and upon passing was accepted into the program. I just recently wrote my letter of commitment to the nursing department for the fall of 2013. As a high school senior, the advice to follow the necessary steps to get into a nursing program for the fall of 2012 would have been helpful!

I would recommend looking at several things. First you want to look at class size, if you would rather be in a small class or large class. I would look at the reputation of the program at that university/ college that your interested in and what kind of opportunities students graduating from that program are receiving. Location is also key to look at. I personally chose my University based on it's location because I am from a very small town and have never, before graduating from high school, experienced being in a large city and felt very uncomfortable with the idea. The only way I feel to make the most out of your college experience is to get out and about on campus. Interact with new people, experience different things you may be unfamiliar with, and just open your mind up to new ideas. When I started out my freshmen year, I tried to do something new every day, even if it was as little as trying a new food in the dining hall. From living in the dorms, there wasn't really a day that went by where I didn't meet someone new. Carpe Diem!

Looking back, I wouldn?t change my decision to come to Lock Haven University. I would offer myself some important advice. I would tell myself to just believe that everything will work out and stay focused on the school work and everything else will fall into place. You may have come to college with some friends from high school, but when you?re there, branch out and meet new people because that is what college is all about. Try new things like clubs and sports, join a sorority, and most importantly GET INVOLVED. College is what you make it, so the more you?re involved, the more fun you will have. I?d tell myself not to worry about not knowing how to cook; EasyMac will always be easy. Go to a football game and cheer on the team - even if they aren?t the greatest, have movie & karaoke nights with all the girls on your floor even if you can?t sing. And most importantly I?d tell myself to never forget where I came from & where I?m going. College only lasts four years but those four years can be some of the best experiences of your life.