Lone Star College System

« See more reviews of Lone Star College System

My college experience has allowed me to gain different viewpoints on numerous current issues in today?s society. Attending college classes and making student friends provided me with different ideas, increasing my open-mindedness toward many cultural philosophies. My diving classes have given me more knowledge about the human body, chemical balances and psi levels; as well as given me a new hobby. Interpersonal communication classes present uncommon concepts with new ideas, giving me a new way of looking at certain beliefs. International student friends offer different viewpoints toward unique cultures and practices associated with religion, food, and family. Accomplishing projects throughout my classes help keep me motivated toward my goal, helping keep me on track for my major. College is an amazing experience that has helped me open my mind, make friends, and achieve my goals. I feel I am learning to better understand modern day society which will help me in my future once I graduate college. I have learned invaluable ideas, philosophies, and concepts that have changed, not only my viewpoint on life, but is also molding me into a better person.

Making the transition from high school to college is not an easy step for young adults. If only I could go back and give myself some adcvice maybe, just maybe, things would be different. First, I would tell myself to listen to my elders. Talk to as many adults who have been through college, or are currently enrolled in college, as I can. They are the ones who will be most beneficial. The friends you are currently in school with are in the same boat as you. They are doing what they "think" is right but they lack experience and wisdom. Why try to reinvent the wheel? Secondly, focus, focus, focus! When it's all said and done, you are the one who makes your future; not your friends! Thirdly, but equally important, always strive to be the best. A passing grade isn't good enough. Strive to make the A! When your quizes and tests are graded and returned go back and re-evaluate your answers. It can make the difference in understanding concepts. Last, but not least, the world is always changing. Always evolving. Be prepared to make adjustments. Live with honesty, integrity and committment.

Hey senior me! You'll be in college soon. You will come a long way from that girl in high school and to mature into the freshmen you'll be. Congratualtions! Im proud of you! As you may have heard college is much diffrent than high school. For one the reponsability is all on you; there are no professors constantly naging you about your assainments. However, you kno those late night studies and stressing over projects assigned a week ago and due tommorow? Well college isn't like that you get to see all the assignments you will get at the beginning of the semester and have sometimes even months to prepare. Nothing is a surprise and everything your professor teaches is relavent. Those classes you sit in for the entire year and will never use the material in your life. You choose your own classses in college and therefore they are intersting, so you actually learn. So don't stress so much in high school! College is alot easier than people make it out to be, because you are learning what you like. You're a smart kid take it easy, cause you'll do great in college!

Four months ago I lost my father to cancer. I had just started my first semester as a transfer at the University of Louisiana for petroleum engineering. The loss of my father was a speedbump in my education. I debated resigning for the semester and moving home in order to clear my head. Instead I stuck it out and finished my courses. This semester I transferred to a community college at home to help out with my family. I was nervous about transferring a second time - this time from a major university to a community college. When I signed up for courses I was awestruck at the intensity of the courses offered. I was able to sign up for my geology and engineering courses! I've learned that sticking out your education, no matter what hardships face you, will eventually work out with time. Never had I thought that I would have to deal with losing a parent and moving back home, but with the efforts I put forth in my education, I will never have to second guess myself and think "What If?" My education is my life, and every lesson I've learned helps shape my future.

The college experience that I have gotten so far has been unremarkable. I have been out of school for over twenty years. Also, I have five children all attending college as that influenced my decision to go back. There is this program that I applied for that has been so helpful. The people here are just so family oriented never belittling you for whatever level you stand on. I love attending this department because I am welcome to do my homework, get tutored, and discuss my unsolved problems. You never know what might be going on and who you can share your good or bad days with, without worries. However, at any given moment they are the ones I would select. The Instructors are vibrant and understanding in all my classes. Taking their time to help out; making sure you understand before preceeding on to the next assignment. I came from a broken home, relationship and jobless not knowing what to do next, so going back to school is valuable to me nor was it bad idea. Nevertheless, I do not regret making this decision yet I would do it all over again.

If I could go back in time I would have definitely told myself to become more aware of the financial situation that will take place. Like the tuition cost, room and board, food, and club fees; instead of counting on mama to tell me everything. I would have told myself to research the policies, interest rates, and payment plans of the companies I decided to get a loan from. There were so many terminologies I didn?t understand because I didn?t take out the time to actually get to know what they meant. Another thing I would have told myself was to ask questions. In the beginning I didn?t like asking questions but I found out the hard way that if you ask you will be answered, if you don?t then you can?t receive help. So in other words speak up! Lastly I will tell myself to be more organized. It?s my money that I?m wasting if I don?t have my organizational skills together. I would have saved a lot of time if I were organized. In conclusion, research and organization is the key to a successful and less stressful college experience.

Plan ahead. In college nobody's going to push back a quiz, test, or due date just because you missed it. It's true that life happens; you lost it, the schools computers are down, your printer didn't work , or even you had a family obligations, but your Professor still expects your work on time. My first day in class my Professor said that he has empathy, but not sympathy. All of your professor knows what it's like to be a full-time working college student, but all of them knew how to mange thier time and they expect you to do the same . You can't be shelf-centered and say you have too much on your plate, because soem poeple are married and have children, yet they are able to make time to do thier school work and get it in on time. Planning ahead is extremely important to your college career. It's always go to have a plan B; such as making sure the printers works, makeing sure that your work has been saved, and investing in a flash drive. Simple things like these are very basic steps in helping you achive in college.

Going back in time to talk to myself as a high school senior I would stress the importance of persistance and also dedication. I've come to realize in order to be successful in college you need both of these attributes because of the level of difficulty each class carries along with it. A lot of high school seniors, myself included, became lazy due to it being their last year of high school and don't realize how important it is to stay on course even during tedious exercises. Looking back, I can see the correlation between those stressful problems and the importance of having the ability to not be bogged down with stress and anxiety. Much of college tests each students perseverance in dealing with such problems to prepare them for the real world. Dedication to one's studies also ranks detrimental to the success one wishes to achieve while attending college and preparing for one's future career. I would tell myself to remain dedicated and not get lazy in order to routine myself upon arrival into the college life.

First off, I would have stopped myself from dropping Pre- Calculus. I decided to take it easy my last year and I skipped my math, and I decided not to take my SAT or ACT. I thought it was a waste of time. I then graduated and realized I needed those scores to help me get into college and to help me receive scholarships. I took advanced placement classes and never filled out the forms for National Honor Society, which were sent to me several times. I just didn't want to take five minutes out of my day. I threw many opportunities out the door. My last change and the most important, I would of focused on school and not the boy I was with. I refused to fill out any college applications so I would not have to leave him, instead he stayed in high school and left me for another girl. I ignorantly allowed myself to set my future back for a one sided love. That is a mistake I regret and always will. So, basically I would focus on school and not care about the opposite sex. I would do what was right for me.

I often wish I could go back to my senior year in high school, and I know exactly what advice I would give myself . I am currently in a remedial math class and it's such a struggle to get through these programs, when I know for certain I have a hold on the material. I took Algebra classes in high school and made straight A's but college is so much different. The level of learning and applying, is much higher and you have to study, work, and apply yourself much more than in high school. I just wish my senior year, I could have seen ahead to the future; I know I would have told myself to work harder, study more, and devote more energy and time to my school work. My senior year, I took Pre-Cal and most of my knowledge of previous algebra, was out the window. I would have known the material inside and out, and prevented wasting time and money on subjects I already have a grasp on. Since I can't change the future, all I can do is look forward, and try my best, work my hardest at everything I do.