Saint Paul, MN
Macalester College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Macalester College

A small and cute school with very friendly people. You can walk around campus and eventually memorize everyone's name's, even the janitors! The school may be small, but they are very focused on academic and artistic intelligence and the staff help students every step of the way in pursuing their dream school. Career centers offer many outside classroom experiences such as jobs and internships because they have partnerships all around the city. Shops and clothing stores are just across the street and the neighborhood residents are friendly and respectable. The only downside to this school is that because it is small, their athletic departments are not in the big leagues. If you are a artistic, nerdish (I mean this in the nicest way), and liberal, this is school is the one for you.

Greg

Party school. No depth. Lots of insecure students. Don't know how to debate or listen to one another. Bunch of weirdos. Vapid discussion. Suspicious of intellectual dialog. Feels like high school. Must play a sport or have some artistic talent. Bad weather. Avoid if you want to be a nerd.

Mina

I love Macalester. My professors are some of the most supportive and yet challenging people I have ever met. The opportunities (academic, extracurricular, etc.) I have been presented with are so much more than I have ever had in my life. The friends I have made here are people I believe I will love and learn from for the rest of my life.

Fiona

I regularly recommend Macalester College. When I visited the school, I immediately had a positive feeling about the campus; I visited in spring, when students are regularly out playing frisbee, studying under trees, handing out fliers for campus events--all of the quintessential college activities. This view of Macalester as "the type of college you see in the fliers" has remained the same after more than a year here. Its small size means that it is easy to find your "group." Some characterize the grouping of friends at Macalester as "cliquey," but I find that while I have a central friend group, I could go sit with anyone from the football players to someone I've seen in one of my classes without worrying about fitting in. This small size also means that professors are extremely accessible. Office hours are easy to get to and happen often, so if you take advantage of these, it is easy to find professors who will forward you interesting articles, potential jobs, and prompt reference requests. I get an email from my advisor weekly, and was able to precept (TA) for a Statistical Modeling class he taught because of this connection. As for the math department, it is highly underrated. I came into Macalester with an intention to study international studies, and soon realized that I cared more for quantitative than qualitative data. I took Applied Multivariable Calculus II my first semester at Macalester, and fell in love with the way that Macalester professors ensure each student knows why the math we are learning is relevant. Even in Linear Algebra--a notoriously hard course at every university--we were taught how to use our knowledge to solve problems that ranged from biological to economic. I cannot recommend Macalester enough!

Veronica

Macalester College is such a great school. Professors are always available and are very helpful to students. Everyone on campus seems to get along with each other and coming to Mac is one of the best decisions I've ever made. It's located in a great neighborhood, many students from all over the country and outside the country, and academic excellence.

Hans

Macalester is a mediocre college with mediocre students and professors. There are some very interesting courses that you will not find elsewhere but on the whole classes are a hit and miss. Academic quality often suffers from disorganized professors or students who don't know how to handle the material. I have encountered a good number of students who are indifferent to learning, which is surprising for a liberal arts college. There are very few intellectual types on campus, and I have had very few satisfying discussions on serious topics outside the classroom. I would characterize most of the student body as "fashionably social-justice oriented" and "liberal without really knowing why". I am far-left myself but it sucks how many students take on political identities simply to fit in and shut out conservatives. As a result, no meaningful discussion takes place on campus. Most students have tight-knit cliques often formed around majors, extracurriculars, nationality and race. The last two can be subtle at times and while many student do not overtly discriminate, they chose to self-segregate. Thus, Macalester often oversells multiculturalism and internationalism. However, the administration is definitely committed to advancing these goals but for some reason the student body just isn't receptive. The campus is too small and claustrophobic, and residential facilities suck big time.

Dylan

Addressed in the first question. International. Hipsters. Hippies. Liberals. Social activists. Nerdy. Unique. Awkward.

Classes are small. Unless you are in the rare large introductory lecture, students and professors will likely notice if you aren't there. Professors may invite you over for dinner or to the bar. Chatting with them in the halls or outside of classes is very common. Some students can be quite competitive, depending on the department. More often, students are just determined to do well and make a change (which can cause a lot of stress, especially around finals). I was expecting a more laid back attitude towards academics, where learning is more important than performance, but it seems Macalester is increasingly becoming more "professionally focused". Either way, Macalester students are known for being very outspoken and argumentative (in a good way, usually). I've taken philosophy, biology, sociology, geography, art, political science, chemistry, environmental studies, french, international studies, and math classes at Mac, while still having time to graduate with a major and two minors. Double majors are actually quite normal. My biology department seems to train people to become academics; I considered going on to graduate school before realizing academia isn't for me. Macalester is primarily a teaching school (with a comparatively large amount of research for a liberal arts school), so that is so bed expected You can take other classes at the Associated Colleges of the Twin Cities (ACTC) schools in the area.

Christian

Small classes with caring professors make Macalester a place of deep learning. On top of my professors who are excellent educators, my classmates are brilliant. I need not be in class in order to have intellectually enriching conversations, because my peers and I initiate them either way. Professors are genuinely interested in my life and are invested in my success. Because of this, academics here at Macalester are singularly rigorous; professors here know we are capable of great things and push us accordingly.

Helena

My school is best known for two things: diversity and eccentricism. Diversity in terms of social classifications--race, gender, etc, and eccentricity in terms of the types of activities and ideologies that the students are involved in. Students at Macalester tend to be very unique, and definitely think outside the box.

There is one piece of advice I would give myself, and dear God, I wish I had followed it my senior year of high school: "Calm. Down." College is not just a phase of life, a transitional period from teenager to adult. It is not a time to be rushed through or to have unrealistic expectations about. Maybe it won't be "the best time of your life." But you know what it will be? It will be a time of learning--true learning, learning not only from books, but about the things that you truly care about. You will learn more about yourself than you ever thought possible--and some of it will shock you, and some of it will impress you. Don't worry about grades (you are going to do FINE. Your grad-school career will not be ruined by a B or even a C), you will feel so much more fulfilled and content if you do your best in the classes that don't interest you and truly make your mark in the areas that do. Do this, and when college is done, you will have grown into the best person you can be.

The best thing about this school is the diversity. There are students from all over the world who go to classes with you, students of all types of gender or no gender at all, all sexualities, all political spectrums... you learn more about the world around you than you would at any other school. Instant connections are made with people from all around the globe, and they serve as a constant support system for you as you make your way through college.

Macalester College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.