Marquette University

« See more reviews of Marquette University

It still gives me chills when each men's basketball game starts with the little video and inspirational music. If you're going through your typical "Marquette isn't right for me" stage, go to a basketball game! It has the utmost sense of community. We also have fun little traditions at the games, like ripping up and tossing your ticket at the first shot, the nasty cheers to the opposing teams, and OF COURSE the Jump Around Guy, a legend really. Between the third and fourth quarters, "Jump Around" is played and the jumbo-tron immediatley closes in on a MU alum, probably late 40s and typically dressed in a nice suit and tie, dancing to the song like an idiot. Perhaps one of my fondest memories at Marquette!

"Cura Personalis", care for the entire person. Excellence, Faith, Leadership, and Service. Marquette is best known for the University's strive to make each student a well rounded individual who will make a difference in the world and benefit the entire human community. Marquette Univeristy emphasizes students' pursuit of excellence through their education, and this excellence is demonstrated through professors and teachers who truly care. A strong Christian faith is held at Marquette, yet this faith is inclusive to all individuals. Marquette ultimately provides education that builds leaders, teachers, and professionals, who dedicate their lives to the service of others.

Marquette is best known for the four pillars: Faith, Leadership, Service and Excellence. These four pillars represent Marquette's overall motto, "Be the Difference." There are classes and seminars devoted directly to this motto. For instance, feshman honors students were presented with the option to take the seminar "How to Change the World." The school has an easy access to practice faith, plenty of opportunities for students to improve leadership skills, and many service oppurtinities through clubs and classes. Overall, the school offers student the ability to achieve excellence. faith, leadership, service and excellence are key to being the difference.

Marquette is best known for revolutionizing "service learning." Service learning is incorporated into many classes at Marquette, and it requires students to work at different sites throughout Milwaukee that engage in social justice (ex: teaching English to refugees, tutoring at detention facilities, working at homeless shelters, etc.). The whole idea of service learning is not simply to volunteer, but self-transformation, of coming to the realization that we must be proactive within our communities and to see everyone as a human being no matter what their situation is in life. Marquette encourages everyone to "be the difference."

Marquette is definitely best known for its security. Although probably not one of the highest priorities on a senior high school student's list when considering schools, it's something I've unquestionably learned to appreciate. With free transportation service around campus, strict check-in policies for the dorms, and surplus of DPS officers readily available, driving and even walking around campus all night, these are just some of the features that have made me feel undeniably safe at Marquette. Perhaps not such an exciting characteristic, but hey, if it helps me make it through school alive, I'm glad.

Our school is best known for student support and spirit. During the school year students show up in masses and all through campus students sport marquette gear in support. Not only on campus but all through the country and world students always act respectfully knowing they are representing all of marquettes' true values. Our school is known for its education, spirit and community service all of this is shown to the public through each and everyone of our students which is what marquette is known for best is its amazing students and their ability to be responsible members of society.

The most common feature that our school is known for is our basketball team. The second most known feature of Marquette is that it is a Jesuit Institution. As a result, there is a focus on taking a broad scope of classes in addition to your major and service learning opporunitites to make you a better, more well-rounded individual. We are also well-known for our Graduate opportunities, ranging from Marquette's Law and Dental schools to our close connection with the Medical College of Wisconsin. Finally, we are well known in many fields for oustanding industry relations.

Although Marquette is known to most of the Midwest for many of its post-professional tracks, such as Physical Therapy, Dentistry, Physician Assistant, and Law School. This programs are all extrememely competitive to get in to, and people work very hard as undergraduates to apply. Before attending Marquette, I knew about the strong Health Sciences College, this is why I wanted to apply to that college. Since entering the College of Health Sciences, I have seen the competition and academic rigor to remain in the college and gain entry into a post-professional program.

Marquette University strongly believes in what is called cura personalis, or care of the whole person. This means that the entire well being of the student is important, not just academics. While academics are very important, the social, emotional, and spiritual aspects of student are also highly valued. For this reason, the faculty at Marquette really care about their students as persons and most take the time to get to know them by name. They are also willing to do whatever it takes to help the student excell in class and truly understand the world around them.

Marquette University is best known for their values; leadership, faith, service and excellence. It is a religious school with excellent values that encourage students to "be the difference." That includes outstanding academic success and also achievement in future careers and within the surrounding community. Being apart of Marquette's community does not only include a sense of belonging on campus, but also in a relationship with current, past and future Marquette leaders that will surround us for the rest of our lives. After all, "we are Marquette."