Massachusetts Institute of Technology Top Questions

Carlos

One side effect of attending this school that can have negative repercussions is that time can become only a resource. By that I mean that attending school here makes you want to use every bit of time you have to be productive. If you are not using your time to take a class, study, participate in an extracurricular club or program, etc., others may view you as not using time wisely or even wasting it. It can eventually become internalized, where you don't feel right unless you are being productive all the time.

Desiree

The inability to get academic help...you must sign up for tutoring early - before you know if it's needed! Tutors are generally unavailable beyond the first few weeks of classes. There are often "no show" faculty to the group study sessions.

jamie

very academically demanding

Tiffany

the social atmostphere

David

Too busy. The campus and surrounding and and the people around you have so much to offer, but with the workload it's hard to take full advantage to every and still do well academically.

Jeremy

The worst thing about MIT is the fact that there are so many different types of people, yet different groups rarely interact with groups that are similar to them. Friend circles are formed, and we do not meet many people on completely different circles because that is just how life is. However, it would be nice if MIT could somehow facilitate a way for more people of different personalities to interact with each other. We can learn so much from being around people who are not like us, making everyone more well rounded in the end.

The worst thing about MIT is the immense workload and really hard tests.

Carmel

There is so much work that it is hard sometimes to find the time to stop and evaluate the path down which you are tumbling. It can be difficult to recall when you last read a book for pleasure, or thought about something besides how much work you have before you can go to sleep. It is truly draining.

To much work

People are sometimes too invested in their work. Also, most people are overachievers and classes sometimes makes you feel incompetent even though many students probably feel the same way.

Hannah

If you try, its possible to be lost in the crowd. This typically does not happen as there are lots of support people around, but some do fall through the cracks.

There isn't a big football team to cheer for like at most state schools (I almost went to University of FL). I miss being able to go to big games like that.