Buffalo, NY

Medaille College

« See more reviews of Medaille College

If one could go back and talk to their high school senior self, there are a multitude of wise prompts and words of advice that would need to be given. The younger version would need to be told to continue to endure and do well in all those advanced placement courses, in spite of it being the final year of high school, as that will prevent heaps of excess future work, provide the opportunity for other courses or potential experiences, and will properly prepare for the forthcoming semester workloads. To the younger woman: "Don't be so introverted and reserved, open up, become more involed in college activities from the start, and there will be no doubts, regrets, or wonderings of what could have been." Always work diligently and make connections with your professors and colleagues, however there is no need to be in a constant state of stress or worry, for all will work out as it should with the appropriate balance between determination for the future and excitement for the present. The friendhsips and relations made with classmates are just as important as those made with educators. Lastly, all aspirations and dreams are attainable; never dicredit your capabilities.

Since I never tried my best in high school, the first thing would be to tell myself that anything is possible. My grades were average or below, never a part of any organization, sports or honor roll. If I could back in time the first thing to tell myself is to go beyond 100% in my academics. I would fefinitely join sports and clubs. I returned to college after 20 years, and these past two years have been the best as far as school goes. Now I love school, and I don't settle for less than an A or B. Last semester I made the Presiden'ts list, something I never believed capable of. I have earned credit in the honors program, another big accomplishment. I recieved a scholarship, first in my family. The way I feel about school and my attitude towards it has changed my whole mentality. I have gained wisdom and knowledge and everyday I apply my skills. I would tell myself that the years in college are the best to come. That you can be unique in your own way without fear. The freedom in learning is based on how organized and responsible one is.

Since I have started college I think so far I have learned better communication skills, and I am able to better interact with people that i dont know and I think I will need these skill when I graduate from college due to the fact that I would like to go into the field of reporting and radio. Communication is the key to life because it is used in everyday life even with people we dont know. Mt experience so far in Medaille College has been good because its a small based College and inside the classrooms the professors are able to give that one on one attention that they can because its a smaller enviornment. I love to learn and always is looking for news things to learn on a daily basis. things that go on in this world is something that i will have to deal with when i graduate like paying bills and having a set career and being independent so im getting life lessons while i experiencing this college life. Overall i will be the first in my family to graduste from college so being able to say that is a great life experience to me.

If I could go back to my senior year in high school the advice I would give myself is that high school and college is two completly different things. High school people are imature, play around alot, and follow one another. In college they don't do that because there older and mature, and your paying to go to school so you take your education way more seriouisly now as to when you were in high school. Another important piece of advice I would give myself is that you have to go to class everyday, and you get way more homework in college then you do in high school. If you choose not to show up to class that's your decision the school, and teachers are still getting paid regardless and your not going to get baby like you did in high school because this is the next step in your life, and it's reality. Also, if you didn't get alot of homework in high school, or you just didn't do it your in for a surprise because in college you get homework every day and have to write multiple papers everyday for the semester.

As a high school senior I would tell myself to believe more in yourself, with academics and with college life. Coming in as a freshman can be tough but be true to yourself and know that with hard work you can achieve your goals. College is suppose to be a challenge and knowing that ahead of time, gives you a chance to prepare. Now being in college for two years the first year I did fairly well academic wise but the confidence in myself to achieve those grades were not where it needed to be. Having the self confidence that you did well on an exam is essential in order to continue to enjoy college life. In addition, do not be afraid to be who you are, because that is what makes you; you. Being at college allows you to be the person you want to be and remaining true to yourself can help you in every aspect of college life. Most of all, have fun in college! College is only for a few short years and yes, grades are the most important but developing friendship and being active is just as important.

What I've gotten out of medaille is time. A lot of my time at Medaille is spent hanging out with friends between calsses and studying togather outside of school. We really try to make our tiny school a lot of fun, it's been a lot like highschool but were all starting to really grow up. I had to learn study skills upon entering college and those i realize are very important, college has broken the perfect little bubble of where i grew up. Keep in mind its a tiny school so i think any bigger school would have majorly overwhelmed me or changed me a lot faster from the person i was to the person i will someday be when the entirety of the real world is upon me. My school allows me to grow up slower and keep my "peter pan" years alive and I love that about it, its been so valuable because it's allowed some of the kid in me to remain unlike my friends and thats important to me beacuse the amount of time we spend being young in todays society is way smaller than our time spent being old.

if I could go back to high school I would start looking at what I wanted to do in life alot sooner. I would have done better in math so that I could understand college level math with more ease. I would have also looked for more scholarships to pay for school because right now I have alot of loans that I am not sure how to pay when I get out of school. Another thing I would do is I would have joined a club in high school because when I came to college I didn't know many people it took me a few weeks before I really met some people that I would hang out with and have fun. I would also tell myself that I need to study more than I did in high school eventhough I was studying and getting A's and B's in high school I would tell myself to study more because I started to get alot of C's in college or less. Lastly I would have told myself to do an overnight visit at the college's I was thinking about because it would have helped getting adjusted.

Be involved and openminded about the entire college experience. Make sure you participate in college visits and activities. Choosing a school that would fit me academically and socially was very important and as soon as I stepped foot on Medaille's campus I believed that was where I belonged. Make your college experience everything that you want it to be. Never miss out on an opportunity to step out of your character and try something else. Try joining at least one club or taking part in a workshop or activity that is different from anything you've ever done and introduce yourself to everyone. You would be amazed at what interests you and who you would become friends with. Bring everything that you could imagine needing on a daily basis, then bring everything else You never know what will come up

During the whole process of getting ready for college by choosing where you want to go and what scholarships you would apply for became very stressful. Starting out with research very early is always a lot of help especially if you start your junior year of high school. When dealing with money stick to a budget and make sure you always have enough rest to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Procrastination is always an easy habit to fall into. Saving things until last minute is not going to help the work load on yourself in the end, so just stick to spacing out the work you do before deadlines can take off some stress. The final part of transitioning is to make sure you take time for yourself. Don?t overwhelm yourself with homework all hours of the day, and set time apart to hang out with friends.

The advice i would give myself is "It's okay to be focused, but don't be so scared of failure". I was scared of failing and not doing well that to stay more focused I pushed everyone away beacuse i thought they would become a distraction. I can admit that i ruined my social life beacuse i was so afraid of failing in college. I pushed my friends away and even pushed my family away. At the time it seemed like it was the right thing to do so i can stay focused. Looking back now, i realized that i pushed my support system away. Those are the people who want to see me succeed and even if i do fail they will help me get right back on track. In conclusion i would tell myself that it is okay and those distractions may actually be helpful at some point thoughout my stressful years of college.