Messiah College

« See more reviews of Messiah College

As a high school senior, i will advice myself to plan ahead of time to get the resources and finace that i need to go to college. I will do this by getting a part-time job during my junior year of high school so that i can have some money save for college. I will also advise myself to never wast time, not to be afriad to go to college. I will also advice myself to work hard, never give up, and belive in myself. I will also advise myself it is a good thing to go to college. it will bring me more opportunity, great future in life. I will also advise myself once i have an education , it will be with me for life and no one can take it away from me. I will also ask of school reimbursement at my job so it can help pay for my school. I will also advise myself to research alot of schools to see which programs the school offer. I will also advise myself to do volunteer work either in the hospital, or community that can help pay for college.

Since I have been at messiah, I have discovered many different opinions on situations that I never thought of before. I have made many great friends that have already proven to be there for me in hard times. I feel as though I have gotten valuble life experience from school, including learning how to live with a roomate ,since I haven't had a roomate since I roomed with my sister at the age of 5. Attending Messiah has been valuble to attend because it is "expanding my horizons" one can say, into fields of study I may have never considered before. I have found that being at school has created more of a sense of becoming more independant and learning how to handle issues on my own. I did not realize how heavily I relied on my parents until I came to school and they suddenly couldn't help me with a problem as easily, though they were willing to try. Overall I am glad that I chose to come to Messiah because it is constantly challenging me.

To find the right college, the only advice I can give is visit! Visit! Visit! And, oh yeah, don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't just ask the tour guide (their job is to sell the school to you). Ask a regular student, specifically in the major you're interested in. Ask people in the dorms. See if there is a way to contact students through the school. Be proactive. Try your best to get a real picture of the school. As for making the most of your college experience, don't focus on just one thing like academics or your social life. This is the only time in your life you'll have this much freedom and this little responsibility. Try new things. Don't be afraid. Don't keep yourself in a box. You don't want to look back in 10 or 20 years and think, "I wish I did this or that". Try new things! Please! Oh yes, get out of the house. Become an adult. Mature. We don't want you to be the same person that walked into school...oh no, we don't.

Don't just go by what the college is offering you b/c they will ususally change their mind. Find out what the college is all about and take a tour. While on the tour talk to random students at the school not just your tour guide. The guide is getting paid to sell the school and make you want to go there. Find out what there is to do on campus, make sure there are fun things to do if not DON'T GO THERE! Find out if there are ways to get off campus for food, etc. without needing a car. Once you're there you're usually stuck unless you know someone with a car or if they have shuttles into town. Check if the school has mandatory lectures, mine did and i had to get up at 8:00 every tuesday and thursday! IT SUCKED!! You want these 4 years of college to be awesome if you're not going to have a blast pick a different college that is more suitable for you! You are the one paying the tuition you should choose a school you like!!

College is what you make of it. You can make it a really fun, creative, stimulating, inquisitive time or you can make it boring, miserable, and dull. It is up to the student to make the college experience into what that student wants. One way to make the college experience great is by choosing a college that fits the students needs. This means considering what size college and what type of college (public/private) the student would like to attend. It also means considering things such as what majors, sports or clubs the college offers. If a students that finds colleges that are generally what he/she is looking for, choosing between schools becomes much easier. It is a decision that should be thought about seriously by the student buy it should not be a decision that is stressed over needlessly. As long as the college meets the student's basic needs then it will be a good fit for that student. College is what you make of it.

You will often hear that college is the place to "reinvent" yourself but that is not true at all. Just let college be a time to figure out who you really are and let that person shine. Don't try and make yourself into someone you wish you were, but rather let who God has created you to be the strongest thing about what others see. As far as finding the right college, you really need to evaluate your needs and figure out what is most important to you in a college choice. Chances are you won't find a college that has every single criteria on your list (and if you do then GO FOR IT cause it IS rare) so make sure you know what your top priorities are. The most important thing though is to visit the campus and make sure it "fits". Just like you need to make sure you "click" with a person to date, you need to "click" with the school you're committing to. Four years (+/-) is a long time and you want to make sure its right for you!

There are a few simple steps that you can take in order to select a great school and enjoy your experiences at that school. First of all you should take your time and shop around. Visit the campus. Try to ask current students about their experiences. Go with your gut instinct. You will know when you have found a college that is right for you. However there is no perfect school, so do not worry yourself about finding it. You will eventually need to chose a college, which brings us to the second point of this question. How can you get the most out of your college experience? College life is all about balance. Sometimes you need to work hard, but you also need to take time for yourself. Spending time with close friends, engaging in activities, and meeting new people are all important. Your college years will be amazing, as long as you follow this advice. Get your work done, and then go out and have fun.

The advice that I would give myself is to do everything exactly the same. I would make sure I signed up for "The Religion of Football" as my First Year Seminar, and I would make sure that I lived in Hess, just like I did my freshmen year. I loved every moment of being a freshmen at Messiah. I would probably tell myself to focus more on Encountering the Bible, but other than that to just live in every moment, because freshmen year was the best year I have had at school. I would tell myself to take it easy through Sophomore year. I did way to much work in that year, and wish I had spent more time keeping connected with my friends. I would also tell myself to get involved in Rec-Sports sooner, as it has been an absolute blast. If I had the option to talk to myself as a high school senior, I probably would wind up telling myself to simply not worry about a thing, and that college was going to be great for me.

College has been the most amazing and interesting part of my life to date. I've learned what I've come to learn in my area of interest, psychology and so much more in other areas I'd never considered before college. I was given the resources to learn more than the professors had time to teach and the opportunity to find friends who thought like me and very differently than me. In some ways, college taught me about myself and how to find out who I want to grow to be. I was able to debate with friends on a myriad of issues and grow intellectually, spiritually, emotionally, and socially. I've not only gained knowledge, but wisdom as well. Had I gone straight into the work force, I never would have grown this much in all these ways or been able to accumulate the knowledge in the field of psychology that I did. I would never have been able to reach my dreams and help youth with mental disorders.

If I ever had the opportunity of going back in time and talking to myself during my high school year as a senior, I would probably encourage my past self to be more courageous and disciplined. I would explain to my former self that college life is rough during the first year because everything is new and challenging, but once you overcome those fears and obstacles, college life becomes easier and a lot of fun. I would advise my past self to also be frugal with both my time and money spent in college. Also, college gives us a great responsibilty and opportunity to grow as an individual. Lastly, I would encourage my past self to discipline myself for my studies and take life one step at a time. College may seem like one big step from being a teen to an adult, but it is actually composed of smaller steps leading to who we want to be in life as an adult.