Miami University-Oxford

« See more reviews of Miami University-Oxford

I wish I would have known just how rigorous the College of Arts and Sciences was going to be. Even though I am a creative writing major, I have to take multiple courses in Spanish, Biological Science, and Mathematics in order to graduate. While this may seem like a handicap, I feel like it has allowed me to spread my knowledge around in multiple subjects, allowing me to be come a balanced student. I had originally assumed this would be a very daunting task, but I think it has made me a more engaged learner.

I wish I had known what my learning style was and put more effort into lecture type classes. Many of the teachers continue to use lecture classes so it makes it difficult for students that do better in hands-on or project based classes. Grades are very important and could determine if you make it into your field of choice/scholarships/admittance into the greek system etc. I wish I had gotten more aggressive with my learning and asked more questions to ensure that I was always on the right track.

Before I came to this school, I wish I would have realized that stepping out of my comfort zone would make me a better person. There is so much more to learn, do, and see when you try new things. New things usually scared me in high school. Miami provides it's students with so many different opportunities and I want to embrace those opportunities to experience new things. I believe each new experience will help me grow and become a more well-rounded individual.

I wish I had known how easily and quickly one can get from Cincinnati to Oxford. The drive is only 45 minutes which makes a big difference when you're a student who feels the need to get out of the small confines of Oxford and engage in a bigger city environment. I also wish I had known how many opportunities there are at Miami University to engage in diversity work. That is a huge plus and was an extremely rewarding part of my education.

I wish I had known that you really do need a car. Even if you are a freshman or sophmore, you need a car to get to places like Wal Mart, Cincinnati, etc. Some essential things are far away from the dorms, so you are kind of stuck without a car. Not to mention going to the clubs Uptown! Unless you want to walk back to your dorm at 3am in heels, drunk, you need a car.

I wish I would have known some better study habbits. My first two big test were treated the same way as high school tests and I payed the price for being neglegent. The professors are tough but they are not unreasonable and I think that is important for any incoming freshman to know.

I wish that I knew that the school was not very diverse. There are not very many minority students at the school. I grew up in an area that had a great mix of every race and economic group. Miami does not have much diversity.

I wish I had know how rigorous the course work would be. Also, I wish I had known that I would not like chemistry, so I could have chosen a different major. Knowing how to study math, would have helped me greatly this year.

I wish I had known how small this campus really is. I did not have a car my first year and it was really tough to find activities in Oxford. Oxford is walkable but you really need a car to get the full experience.

I would say 90% of the students are from families of upper middle class and above. This does not present a problem in making freinds, but it is just nice to know the reputation it carries.