Michigan State University

« See more reviews of Michigan State University

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

Michigan State students are typically stereotyped as crazy partiers that go to school to drink until rowdy and then yell (not cheer) at some of the best athletic competition in the nation. There are definitely a group of students who fit this description. But a large majority of students are students as well (or even just students! Contrary to popular belief, you can find people who don't drink on campus). But, I think what most people find out about MSU is that the university isn't dominated by partying, though it is a solid part of the campus life. Instead, MSU is known by its students as a place with diverse opportunities and every club imagineable. At MSU you will find people who like to do the same stuff you do, you just have to look. There is something for everyone.

A common stereotype of students at Michigan State University is that the students are all crazy "partiers". I have to admit that I also was guilty of believing this when I first came here, but I have been proven wrong. Not everyone here goes to parties all of the time. Actually, I really do not think that the students at MSU "party" any more than those at other colleges. I do not go to parties very often, and I know quite a few people who are the same way. There are plenty of activities to entertain students who are not really interested in partying. No matter what, this is an exciting campus where boredom is hard to find.

Michigan State University has over 47,000 undergraduate students. With a campus so large, we see all the stereotypes, jocks, frat kids, party school, etc., but also MSU is a campus of dedicated students who are passionate about their studies. Every college has stereotypes, you can't escape it. We do have many jocks, people in the greek community, and "geeks," but it isn't about what you fall under or if you fit any of these at all, it's about what school is the right fit for you. Michigan State is about finding your passion and following and succeeding in your career path throughout your life.

Some think that MSU students party too much and suffer academically. This is a pretty gross misrepresentation of the school. We have one of the largest student bodies in America and along with that comes a lot of activity. There is ALWAYS something to do. If you want to party Monday through Sunday it's entirely possible. On the other hand you will fail out quickly. However the rumor that we have a ton of beautiful girls is completely true. I don't think there is a better school in the Midwest for finding a mate. This school is absolutely loaded with talent!

At MSU, the usual stereotype is that it's a "party school" and no one cares about their grades; from experience this is completely untrue! I came into MSU with that mindset but it completely changed. State wasn't my top choice, U of M was but after completing a semester at MSU's public affairs college (James Madison), I realized that there were other people like me here who were fully focused on their future. That isn't to say that there aren't time when you can go out and have fun; state is the perfect balance of studying and a good time.

A common stereotype regarding Michigan State University is that it is as diverse as the United Nations. This stereotype is true for the most part. MSU has students from all 50 states and over 100 different countries. Additionally, students range vastly in terms of socioeconomic backgrounds. This is a great benefit as you get to meet people from all walks of life and learn many things through your daily experiences. You'll end up with friends from around the world.

To be honest there isn't one common stereotype used to describe the students at Michigan State University. I see students with different backgrounds, values, and hobbies everyday. The best part about this school is that you can find a group that is specific to your own personal preferences. I guess if I had to choose one stereotype it would be jocks just because of our phenomenal athletics.

Michigan State University has many diverse students here on campus. I would say we have a lot of sterotypes. We have the frat kids, jocks, and of course geeks. I could not pick just one because here there is always a different group. Jocks of course because this is a big ten school, geeks of course because there are scholars here and frat kids because there are many frat houses on campus.

The stereotype at MSU I would say is that it is a party school and that is all the students ever do here. I would say the students at MSU definitely like to party and have a good time, although that is only a percentage of the students. MSU has a lot of top rated programs which would not be top rated without the efforts and commitment of students focused on their education.

The stereotype of students at my school can be summed up in the simple phrase, "little brother." However, our school does not deserve this reputation because we are large school, very strong academically, athletically and in many other ways. MSU has thousands of different types of people and it is VERY easy to find a way to fit in!