Middlebury College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Middlebury College

Eunice

It is a school that is very peaceful and it creates a perfect environment to focus on your studies and engage more with the nature, since Middlebury College is surrounded by nature. It creates an opportunity for people who are from cities to explore the world of nature.

Rebecca

I am a sophomore at Middlebury and overall I'm very happy with my decision to go here. Middlebury is a small school and while this is not for everybody, it brings many great advantages especially if you're shy like me. All of my professors that I've had so far know who I am, even those for the two larger intro classes that I took. This is a cliche, but go to office hours - I started going this year and I've really gotten to know my professors. The small school also means that you will see many people you know on the way to class, but there's always enough going on that you will not be bored. Most people tend to be apathetic and not go to shows or games unless their friends are in it, but there's so much brilliant student talent it would be a shame to sit at home. There is a pretty heavy drinking culture on the weekends with the mentality "work hard play hard" ruling the school, but this is by no means a party school. Everything pretty much shuts down around 1am and most parties are hit or miss. The town itself is rather small but you can get pretty much anything you want with a little walk. I don't have a car and I manage, but it can be helpful if you want to go to the TJ Maxx, the bigger grocery store or to leave the town for a bit. I come from New York City and I like the small town vibe because it's such a change of pace and there are still many cute restaurants and shops, but some of my friends are bored by it. The one thing I will say is that mental health is a big problem on campus. The work is stressful and it's compounded by the terrible weather. Many students, especially those from the south, suffer from SADS. There is also a culture of one-uppmanship on campus where people simultaneously try to prove that they are the most stressed but also that they have the most perfect lives, creating a culture of competition that leads to stress. A lot of students suffer from depression and anxiety, but it's a bit of a taboo topic on campus. I hope this will change in the future. Coming here is also a big adjustment if you are a person of color, a first generation college student or a first generation American. A lot of the other students grew up in very insular communities and while they don't mean any harm, a lot of passive comments can cause stress and it can be difficult to feel like you belong. Overall, I'm happy with my experience at Midd I just wish it wasn't so stressful all the time.

lee

I went there because it was the best school i got into. In that area it was academically rigorous, and by rigorous i mean insane. Today highschool students spend their time watching movies about how college used to be. Back when our parents went to school in the 80's midd was like a balanced school. Sadly, for me i worked my ass off in highschool and thought college was were i would find balance, achievement, and happiness. Right from the start i didn't have any of those. My classes drowned me my friends were not really friends and i was struggling to get a 3.0. My senior year and currently i am at larger school near philly known for engineering. Its what i thought college would have been like; parties, tues, thurs, fri, and saturday. I am happier and despite being 8 classes from a middlebury degree i find myself thinking i would rather get a degree from this other school. Life should be fun. College should be fun. Unless you are going for; sports, doing hw 6/7 days, or really love small isolated schools. Middlebury is not the place for you.

Coralie

If you're into an unspoken intellectual environment, lots of school work and political correctness, then Middlebury College is for you. There's always something to do depending on who you are. If you're into sports, dance, the arts and whatnot, you'll be good. Be prepared to do lots of schoolwork during the weekdays (and weekends)

I love Middlebury. It is an intellectually stimulating environment filled with bright and unique individuals. I chose it in part due to the smiles and friendliness of the campus in general, and it did not fall short of expectations. The academics are top notch, and the professors are always willing to help you succeed.

Kyle

The academics here are superb, and the professors are probably my favorite part about Middlebury. They are all engaging, knowledgeable, and more than willing to discuss content outside of class. Truly, I talk to a professor after class virtually every day--they create a wonderful intellectual environment and they're some of my best friends. Campus food is excellent, though it sometimes can be difficult if you have a food allergy as I do, depending on the meal. Dorms do the job, I don't really care about housing that much and got a single when I wanted one, so it's fine by me. The facilities are ridiculously nice--every building I've entered has impressed me.

Sophie

Middlebury is a tough place to be especially if you're not a rich white upper class New Englander. It has a great academics but can be isolating. The women's rugby team is incredible and the best community out there. It will be good to have a diploma from here but it's a tough day to day.

Mariam

This school was more awful than words can describe. I came here as an innocent freshman hoping to major in something interesting and meet interesting people. Little did I know what was to befall me. I pursued a major in Middle Eastern Studies and that's when the avalanche of daily microagressions started. Everyday fellow students would make subtle, casually racist comments towards me because of my Arab-American heritage and my Muslim faith. They slandered me, harassed me, and bullied me. Many of these students would then write about the "importance of tolerance towards ethnic minorities on campus" on the college diversity blog. Furthermore, I was sexually harassed by a Middle East Studies professor who was blatantly racist towards my ethnicity. My experience at this college was beyond traumatizing. I experienced permanent psychological damage from attending this college and felt incredibly disempowered, oppressed, and degraded as a student of color here. The college pretends to encourage diversity on campus, yet does not accommodate (American) students of color, and yes they need to "accommodate" students of color because this college is an ocean of ivory--white Anglo-Saxon Protestant ivory. There are more international students at this college than American minority students of any background and they get more administrative support than any of the American minority students--strange being that this is an American institution. Many of the International students I met from Pakistan displayed abnormal social etiquette and were completely unacclimated to Western culture, a couple of them even physically harassed me. While it can be enlightening to meet students from other countries, most of the international students display a sort of envious vengeance towards the American students whom they assume are all rich, and they literally say that they are only there to try to attain as much personal gain from the American system as they can. Most students at this college are unafraid of making overtly racist, sexist, and/or classist remarks. As a first-year student I remember the college diversity website mentioning 'discomfort' and how creating a diverse environment entails dealing with "discomfort". Creating a diverse environment only creates "discomfort" when the people encouraging diversity are reluctant about it at best (i.e. racist) and when the environment itself is explicitly racist. Many students of color at this college say that being a minority at this school is like "taking a fifth class", for me it was more like "engaging in daily battle". I was the Arab-American "Ruby Bridges" of this college, I confronted white students who clearly were unhappy that someone of my ethnicity was attending this school, and they wanted to see me leave. At this college I felt as though I had gone back in time to the pre-civil rights era. Most American students of color are not only disempowered in character and completely unsupported by the administration, they have an almost deferential, subservient demeanor towards the white students and are not only hesitant to criticize the administration's lack of support in the way of diversity, but they will go out of their way to applaud the (clearly inadequate) efforts of the college to accommodate diversity in an "Uncle Tom"-like way. Oh, and I forgot to mention the curriculum of the college is Eurocentric if what I already mentioned was not enough of a slap in the face to minorities. I was completely unsurprised that Charles Murray (an openly racist academic) was invited to speak at the school, but what confounded me was what kind of message the administration was trying to send to students of color by even inviting him in the first place. Obviously, the physical confrontation between student protesters and Professor Stanger was awful, but I am in no way surprised that race relations at this college have come to this as they were beyond awful when I was a student there during the late 2000s. My experiences at the college may have been worse than that of other ethnic minorities due to a stronger level of Islamophobia present at the college than at other schools, as well as my Arab heritage. Oh yeah, and I remember having experienced racist comments from fellow students for simply practicing my religion (like my abstention from drinking was going to hurt them). Every form of discrimination is hyper-present at this college, most notably racism and classism, but also misogyny (I remember male students in one of my economics courses being surprised at the fact that female doctors exist, this was in the late 2000s not the 1950s). If you are a practicing Muslim-American, Arab-American student like I was, DO NOT go to this school. If you are a student of color of any background and you want to grow up in an empowering and supportive environment, do not go to this school. Do not even consider this school, they don't deserve your application fee. They don't deserve to be graced by your presence. There is a blog called "Beyond the Green" that discusses the bullshit that minorities have to deal with at this school, if you're interested in learning more. Overall, Middlebury College is a backwards, retrograde, white bastion that is probably never going to change due to the neoliberal, reluctant (racist) approach to diversity of the administration. If white student and alumni commenters try to disavow what I say, remember they're white and for that reason they had a completely different experience of the college. If anything, they were probably on the "giving end" of the bigotry. Your welcome.

Molly

As a high school senior who is NOT attending Middlebury College, I am extremely fond of the school. One of my favorite aspects of Middlebury college was it's connection to nature (the campus is so beautiful in the fall) as well as it's tradition for "Febs" to ski down the mountain at the conclusion of their college experience. Additionally, I cannot remember the specifics, but I believe that Middlebury had a new (small) housing complex that was completely eco-friendly. This may be totally wrong but even if it is, something about Middlebury is eco-friendly so that's also really cool/respectable. I also appreciated Middlebury's dedication to using locally sourced food as much as possible, even going as far to plant their own garden. One aspect of Middlebury that I wish was at my school was their language houses! Ugh, such a good idea. The only downside for me was that it was a little too secluded for my taste. To be fair, VT has a Ben and Jerry's factory and Lake Champlain Chocolates (and my grandparents live there) but I just couldn't get over it being about an hour to Burlington.

Bryn

Middlebury College, positioned in rural Vermont farmland, gives students an unique, but somewhat limited and isolated college experience. Due to a lack of off-campus activities and campus programming, most students find weekend entertainment at large parties. However, in the classroom, students are focused and engaged. One can hear students discussing what they learned in their oceanography lecture that day and what the party plans are for that night all in one convetsation. In general, students here lack political interest due to most students’ privileged backgrounds and the “liberal bubble” that has surrounded the campus. Middlebury College is a great place to explore a part of the United States that is generally unknown to most students while immersing oneself in their renowned language programs. However the college has a limited reach to the world due to location and demographic.

Joslyn

Middlebury is great. It fosters a strong community of intellectual debate and activities. My friends and I are constantly talking about what we talk about in class so we can learn from each other and because those types of conversations are truly interesting to us. Middlebury has an unbelievable amount of resources for their students, and everyone at the college is generally helpful and does whatever they can to help students be successful. Middlebury students to not know how to party and the town itself is pretty small, so social life may lack sometimes. But there is a strong general sense of community that I feel really grateful to live in.

Kyle

The academics here are superb, and the professors are probably my favorite part about Middlebury. They are all engaging, knowledgeable, and more than willing to discuss content outside of class. Truly, I talk to a professor after class virtually every day--they create a wonderful intellectual environment and they're some of my best friends. Campus food is excellent, though it sometimes can be difficult if you have a food allergy as I do, depending on the meal. Dorms do the job, I don't really care about housing that much and got a single when I wanted one, so it's fine by me. The facilities are ridiculously nice, every building I've entered has impressed me.

Anahi

Middlebury College was an interesting experience. The college location us beautiful: located in Vermont, there were various outdoor recreation opportunities and we had lovely views of the Adirondacks and the Green Mountains and beautiful foliage. However, without a car is a very difficult to get around the campus and visit places like stores and supermarkets .

Elle

Middlebury College is RACIST! Oh my God - I never thought I would experience anything so racist in my life. I earned my way in just like everybody else yet assumptions were made. I was discriminated against by Campus Safety who made assumptions based on my race. I asked for help from a white man who was a nuisance and they only cared if I had slept with him. Black students and Latinos are given a HOUSE on campus where they feel comfortable being themselves. The rest try to find the best Commons where they all tend to be. It's segregated. If you were like me and didn't care about where the other people like you were and just wanted a single, with a view and access to more than one channel on TV - yeah no Cable when I went - you had to deal with some heavy racial taunts and discrimination and BULLYING. This school just beats you down and tears you apart psychologically. A lot of that violence is due to the extreme temperatures and extreme diversity issue. You're just surrounded by nasty people and bad weather. I was a damn gifted and talented individual which Middlebury saw when they recruited me, and I'm not from a background that lacked people who were wealthy and privileged; I experienced prep schools and private schools and suburban neighborhoods. I'm not unaware of how the world works, okay? Sad excuse of an institution. If you want to grow up to be an Ivy League School someday, allow for more events that cater to minority students. Allow for more campus initiatives that promote acceptance. Adopt a Zero - Tolerance policy to racial epithets and minority discrimination on campus. And hold these students accountable.

Richard

My opinion on middlebury college is a great staff trying to get teams