West Long Branch, NJ

Monmouth University

« See more reviews of Monmouth University

The classroom size is usually at most 30 kids in a class; most times it is less than that. All the professors are good, but you come across at least one every semester that you just can't understand. I have enjoyed a lot of classes at MU. One of my favorites is Anatomy and Physiology with Dr. Mack. He is the only professor of that course at Monmouth, and he knows his material. The class is anything but easy. It is challenging but very interesting. It requires a lot of memorization and study time. Class participation is common because the classroom size is so small that it would be boring if no one talked. Also, the classes are mostly two times a week for an hour and fifteen minutes versus colleges that are once a week for three hours. Night classes are offered but those are usually the three hour classes. My major is a new major Health Studies. It is just starting off, so I think it is somewhat an easy laid back major. However as it develops I think it will become more strict. The Health Studies department is extremely helpful and always there to answer questions that students have. Overall I have learned a lot at MU that I can use to help get a job but mostly use in life in general.

The classes at Monmouth are generally small. The largest classes are probably between 25-30 students. Im a math and education major. Since math isn't a very popular major..my classes vary in size. I've had a few math classes with between 12-18 student. My gen ed classes and education classes have more student in them, but usually the univeristy caps the size at 30. In the classes the professors do get to know your names. I had very few professors that did not know everyones name. That also means attendance is important. Some professors (esp. freshman year or determined by the departments) make attendance and participation count for a grade. Other teachers say you are paying to be here so you should come to class. The classrooms are not big lecture halls and are usually either in classrooms with desks or tables or computer labs depending on the class. Most of the professors do use technology in there classrooms and are capable of communicating online through email or ecampus. Ecampus it a place where teachers will post your grades, ask you to "dropbox" assignments, and display other important information.

Professors really want to get to know every student and they want to see students do well. Average class size, in the core curriculum classes (ie: Western Civilization), is 22, but the classes cap off at 35. Once students move up to the major requirements, the average class size is 18, but the classes usually cap off at 25. Class participation is mandatory in most classes and counts as part of the final grade. Students do have intellectual conversations outside of class and even tend to form their own study groups. My least favorite classes I've taken are Western Civilization and Chemistry, only because they have nothing to do with my major. I am an English and Elementary Education major, and I absolutely love it. It is A LOT of work but, if there is one thing I've learned in college, it is that nothing you want comes easy; hard work is essential for success.

The professors know the students names because of the small class sizes. Students study often. Class participation is common because the class sizes are small. Most classes are open discussions. Monmouth students do have intellectual conversations outside of class and are involved in outside activities. Students are competitive, but not cut throught. I major in Social Work. The department is amazing. Everyone is very helpful and nice. The major has a lot of great professors. In addition, there are three internships built into the curriculum, which is great. I do spend time with the professors outside of class because I am involved in the social work society, which the professors are active in. It is geared toward getting a job, as well as learning for its own sake and life skills.

The professors get to know you because the class size is like one of your high school classes. My favorite class was cultural anthropology and the Holocaust class. My least favorite was Philosophy and Math. I do not know about anyone else, but I study a lot because I need to keep my GPA abovea 2.75. However, Thursday nights are the night to go out, so a lot of people will be seen out on that night regardless of school. I am an education/history major and it is very hard! History requires a lot of reading and writing. Education classes are interesting but they require a lot of projects which are easy, but time consuming. However, the education classes really prepare you for the real world because you have to observe schools all over Monmouth County/

Like I said, it like the fact that monmouth is small enough where professors know your name and you can have that relationship with a teacher rather than just being a number. I like the classes at monmouth, however I'm sick of being babied by professors. I think that since we are paying $32,000 annually to attend the University, we should be able to decide whether or not we want to attend class. To have a limit as to how many classes we are allowed to miss is ridiculous. I don't think it's fair. If I can pass a class without going to a single class, that should be for me to decide. We are old enough to realize when it's a necessity to attend class or not, and sometimes, situations demand that we skip class.

Every one of my professors knew my name in all of my classes. My favorite classes are the classes that hold my interest most. In the most recent semester, out of the six courses I had there was only one that I disliked. My major is Psychology and the psychology department is so helpful and always there to help you excel. E-mails are always sent from the Psych department to help you get involved and experience everything possible. There are a lot of general education courses required that may be a bit much but all of the education available at Monmouth really helps you to achieve what you you need to get a good degree.

Class at Monmouth are awesome. Most the teachers here are great. Only suggestion I have is when you make your class use Ratemyprosser.com to see who your teacher is because if you get stuck with a bad professor its not to much fun. Communication program is amazing! I love it! Although my roomate is an art major and she has good and bad to say about that department so look into it. You have to take some core class that are manatory like math english history critcal discourse and so on. Professor are always willing to help they help me outside of class all the time. Overall the academic side of monmouth is great!

The professors are really amazing. They all love their jobs and are really accessible outside of class. There are no lecture halls so you really get one on one time with class members and the professors. The Honors program is very competitive and the classes are nice because you are with other students at the same intellectual level. The Communications department is awesome. The classes are so much fun and the professors really know their stuff. The IT minor is definitely an option that everyone should look into because it is really helpful and it will help you find a job.

Classes are fair. Most professors will be fair to you if you are fair to them. They will also help you alot whenever you need it. In my opinion students need to stop being so shy and start participating more in in-class discussions. Many times teachers will ask a question and no one will raise their hands, not that they dont know the answer, but they are just shy. Intramurals at Monmouth are a plus side to the school as they can become very comeptetive at times. Monmouth also helps out with alot of connections for after school jobs or internships.