Morehead State University

« See more reviews of Morehead State University

The reason originally for attending college in the first place was to have a sense of security when it came to what was in store for my future. In not much time, professor's, new friends', and my own views of life in general has changed the basic component of the first part of the question, "What have you gotten out of your college experience and why has it been valuable to attend?" College is no longer that place for me to acquire "job skills", but instead it has transformed my self-centered way of thinking into a more humble point of view. College itself, the independency, the lenient discipline in the classroom, and the constant learning process of how and why the world works the way it does, has taught me to reach a grander point of understanding; The understanding that in order for the world to find consolation in life, we must all forget about ourselves and write a declaration of Dependence. Without your intelligent systems to award money to deserving students, I or whoever receives this award could never flourish into the innovative psychological being the world needs-the world depends upon. We depend on you. Thanks!

Choosing the right college can be a very difficult process. However, there are several steps that a student can take in order to help narrow down their choices. First off, the student needs to look at the location and size of their college of interest. This is a large aspect of choosing a college. If the location (rural or urban areas) and size (classroom and total student population) is not what the student is looking for or wanting then they will probably not like the college once they are attending. Another aspect that they can look at is the classes offered and the degrees available. The student can also visit the college, sit in on prospective classes, and talk with current students and alumni. If they were to do this, they can truly get a feel of what the collge will be like. While looking at this, a student can narrow down the college choices. While choosing the right college is hard enough, more importantly, making the most of the college experience takes a little time and practice. The student needs to get involved with different clubs and activities, as well as being plugged into the social aspect of college.

If I could go back in time and talk some sense into myself as a high school senior, I would definitely tell myself that I need to pay attention more in class. I need to study more frequently and not cram right before a test. That way I would be able to retain information longer because I am no longer memorizing, but am actually learning the material. I would also have told myself to take more science and math courses in order to prepare myself for my field. I am planning on becoming a veterinarian and in my undergraduate career I needed physics. It would have been beneficial to me had I already taken physics and calculus in high school so I could have learned it previously instead of seeing it for the first time as an undergraduate. Had I been more prepared with a stronger background in the science and math courses, I think I would have definitely done better in those courses and would not have struggled so much. Also, I would have benefited throughout my undergraduate career had I developed the study skills in high school rather than slowly developing them throughout my undergraduate years.

I would advise parents and students to really take into consideration going to a University that is accredited. Most of the scholarships I have applied for require you to be attending an accredited University. Online degree programs are not always the best choice. You want to choose a college that you will be proud to put on your resume. Look into the different awards the college has been given as well as particular programs or organizations affiliated with your major. Take a tour of the campus, talk to the students on campus, and talk to the campus advisors. If you plan on living on campus, find out about their housing programs. If you are a non-traditional student, like myself, ask about any daycare programs they may have and even possible work-study opportunities. If you plan on being involved in extra-curricular activities, you may ask about those as well. And, once you choose a University, really be familiar with their policies, deadlines, fees, and become well acquainted with your advisor who can answer your questions along the way. Most of all, ENJOY it....it goes by so fast!

Looking back at myself as a high school Senior I would have given myself the advice of being a little selfish and do what I think would be best for my future and not listen to the many voices of others trying to direct me to potential career chooices. Also, not attending certain schools that were a distance off to stay close to a female is not a wise choice. i would offer the advice to following my dreams and pursue the career paths that I was passionate about. Picking areas of passionate would enhance the college experience and the knowledge gained from college would be deemed more necessary to the future of my life. Lookign back at choices that I have made I would have taken a more direct approach to my goals and gained experiance in my field of passion sooner rather than later. A second word of advice I would have given myself would have been to take the early years of college more seriously and garnered the the best grades possible. This advice would have made the road to successful less burdensome along with wasting less time in unpassionate areas.

Personally, I think that finding the "right" college is all about where you came from and how you grew up. I chose Morehead State University because I came from a smaller town in Kentucky and kind of wanted to stay within the small community type of college. I like to think of it as, "A place where you can know everyone and everyone knows you, but big enough to where they're not always in your business." Some people feel different about going to a small school coming from a small town, but that also has to do with their personality. Making the most out of college and having the overall best college experience is all about time management and being able to get out and meet people. I believe that the more people you meet, the more activities you will get involved in, which leads to having many memories. Myself, I joined a fraternity and I have made some of my best friends. They will be the guys that are in my wedding and the guys that carry me to my grave. Basically, getting involved around campus no matter what the activity is, is the best thing to do!

Dear high school me, When you start your college career, keep one thing in mind... GO TO CLASS! Don't turn your alarm off in the morning and think to yourself that it will be alright to just miss this class just this once, because IT'S NOT A GOOD IDEA! Also, on Thursdays, aka Thirsty Thursdays, don't think this means that you have to get completely hammered, because you will have class the next day on Friday and you will have to go to them. And no matter how much you tell yourself Thursday night through out the party that you will go to class the next day, you won't. Next, if you get random roommates to live with, it doesn't matter how cool they are initially because you eventually are going to hate them and their stupid little habits. You will get a roommate who smells like cedar chips and throws your bread away because it's past the expiration date, even though the bread is perfectly fresh and soft. Your other roommate will steal all your cigarettes and smoke them without asking. So, learn this and you'll do fine! Love, Your college self

No matter how much they tell you there?s no way you will ever be prepared. For every school you?re considering you should visit for an entire weekend. The things they never tell you about happen on the weekend. I?m not talking about the parties but the student activities, the studying. On the weekend you see the true living at school. If you feel you could find yourself living there for nine months, check into what degrees the school has to offer. Then consider what your interests are. Its true what ever your current interests are will have an impact on what you decide to do with your life. There?s simple searches you can do to see how people rate the school. So you can see how your opinion compares to others. Just because the school has amazing academic standing doesn?t make it a good school. You should also check it stats. Such as how many graduate within 4 years. How many drop out each year. The number of students that receive x% amount of aid from the school. It sounds like a lot but before you pick a school make sure you do your research.

Before going to any collage, both the parents and student need to know their options and what they can afford. Students don't need the stress during school of worring how they're going to get the semester paid for. In the economic crisis america is in now, money is not has easy to come by anymore and finanical aid recieved is not enough for most families. Work on the scholarship based websites, visit the school before hand and see what they have to offer. For those who are going to attend a school a good drive away: BE PREAPRED! You will be on you own; there won't be parents around telling you to go to classes, do your homework, or your laundry. College is the time where students realize it's time to grow up and take care of their responibilities. Parents prepare your child by starting at home. Teach them to do thier laundry (yes, there are students who come to school are don't know how!!), show them how to cook so they don't have to depend on fast food, and most importantly... show them how to be responible with their money. And Good Luck!

The advice that I would give most to parents and/or students when choosing the right college, would be a college that strives for success. Easily accomadated, and friendly. Somewhere they can feel safe at all time, receive the best education of their ability and somewhere they feel like they belong. If finances are a problem, there are many ways to pay for college through financial aid, and student loans, not having money should never be an excuse. While choosing the right college, the parents and/or students should narrow down a school that they can all agree on, feel comofrtable with and make sure it offers enough options to choose from, when deciding what they want to pursue their major in. Know one knows for sure that the college they choose will be the right one. Sometimes one just has to take the risk, but if you take a tour of the school and feel at home, than maybe that unviersity or community college is for them. Attending a college, is one of the most important decisions one could make. It maps out the rest of your life.